Henry Took A Spill

Heard a GSOD and found Henry standing, but looking dazed at the bottom of the basement stairs. I don't think he fell down the whole flight, but he must've taken some sort of tumble. One of his toenails is torn, and he has a decent amount of reddish bruising starting on his front leg. We carried him up to his bed, where he proceeded to pant for awhile. I flushed the nail with chlorhexadine solution and gave him a Tramadol. He's resting (and roaching) fine now, seems comfortable.

Of course, it's the weekend and that was the pain pill. :riphair

Does this warrant a trip to the e-vet tomorrow? I doubt that we could get a refill on Tramadol without a vet actually seeing him. He's eating, drinking, and standing fine. A bit yelp-y trying to walk, but that's probably a combination of soreness and not being able to properly limp on three legs.

See how he's doing in the morning. He might be fine, but if he seems more painful tomorrow, would probably be worth a trip to the vet in the morning. Is your vet not open on Saturdays?

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Can your vet call in a prescription for him? And did Henry have any clotting problems when he had his surgery?

You might want to mark his bruises now with a sharpie marker and take a photo. Then compare the markings and the bruising in the morning to help you decide about which vets he might need to see.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Hope Henry is feeling better today,

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest kkaiser104

Some vets will call in scripts if they know the dogs history and his owners (and I'm assuming yours knows you quite well after the past few months). Might be worth a call to the office to see if they'll call one in for you. Hoping Henry feels better today!

Update: The vet is open today, but only until noon. It's almost impossible to get a weekend appointment on such short notice. I did call- no chance of him being seen, but the vet can probably prescribe some meds to get him through the weekend. He's definitely sore. Refusing to go up stairs. But the bruising actually doesn't look that bad (yet). He yelps at having the nail touched.

Also, he didn't have a bruising issue after his amp surgery, but he was on Amicar then. I mean, he was very bruised, but it wasn't out of control. I'm not sure how bad this will get on its own.

Guest kkaiser104

Do you have a support harness for him (from his surgery, perhaps?) Maybe you could help take the weight off of his front leg for potty trips, etc., to give it a chance to rest and heal. Poor boy :(

I feel your pain---and Henry's! We had a winter of Lydia falling on the steps. We'd take her to the vet mostly because she tore open the skin on her legs, so that had to be taken care of, but other than that, we did some Tramadol. Of course, she has 4 legs. Poor guy. I know how hard it can be to navigate steps on 3 legs.

Sending good thoughts out to your sweet boy.

Edited by queenwinniesmom

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown