Will She Get More Snuggly?

Guest Wasabi303

Guest Wasabi303

I have had my hound for about three months now. She has been adjusting to our life together pretty well and I am head over heals for her. :beatheart

She likes to be pet when she is on her bed and I always pet her when I put the leash on or take her out to go potty I figured out recently that she has a spot on her neck that she likes to have scratched. But today for the first time she came over to me when I was on my laptop sitting on the bed, (something she usually does when she has go potty, but I had just taken her out and fed her dinner) and I pet her for a while then she left and went to lay down. It seems like a small thing but it was really exciting for me, to have her ask for attention.

I guess I am just curious about whether or not Wasabi will always be a little aloof or whether she will get more affectionate (like a 'normal dog'). How long before any your grey's became snuggly, if they did at all?

This is obviously a just for fun discussion, I am just curious. I am quite used to and happy with more aloof animals.

Every dog is different. Some never become very cuddly. You'll just have to wait and see. Overall I don't find greyhounds as overtly affectionate as most dogs. I kind of like their independence. But then I'm a dog walker and get harassed by dogs all day so it's nice having my calm boys not hanging all over me when I get home. They both have their cuddly moments though.

Guest Greyt_livin

Mine I've had for almost two months and he's not what someone would call a typical snuggler. He's too big to sit on my lap. He comes over many times a day and will put his head on my lap and he likes to stand next to me yet. He doesn't lick my face which I like. Mine still follows me around quite a bit and when we are outside in the yard he'll stand next to me for his pets and loves when I brush him out there. But if the hose comes out he runs.

Guest normaandburrell

My new dog was not only aloof but initially he was afraid to be petted, and would shy away from me. It is now 10 weeks and he suddenly has become a love sponge, and wants to be petted and snuggled quite often. It seemed to happen right after I started giving him special treats, like a little ice cream on occasion.

I do think that some greys are more aloof than others, and that in general greyhounds are not as needy as most dogs. But I also think that if you like her to ask you for affection, you need to reward that behavior with some sort of treat (food, scratching her in her special place, talking to her in your happiest voice, whatever she seems to respond to.) Remember that her personality will not fully emerge until you have had her a year, and with our first dog it was 2 years after we got him. He just got sweeter and more relaxed with us the longer we had him.

If you're looking for affection and snuggling akin to a Lab, well... these are greyhounds. They show love a bit differently. All my girls, and every grey that I have met LOVE behind the ears! (I need to dig the grey chart off of my old laptop)

As for snuggling, Sammi -my first- was stuck to my leg the moment I walked into her foster mom's house to sign the papers. That afternoon, right after arriving home my parents brought my son, who was 4 at the time, back home. (It was a long trip and we weren't sure how he'd handle a very large dog in the backseat so he was spoiled by Grandma & Papa for the morning/afternoon)

This picture was taken a few minutes after he got home. He was on the futon first. She chose to get up there:

SnG1a_zps0e414dc2.jpg

That was the extent of her snuggling for the next few months. She was content with what you described. Coming to me for petting or kisses on her head. Then eventually imitating that kiss- pressing her nose lightly to my forehead, and leaning, and then snuggling... and then bedhog. She is also my shadow. If she cannot see me, she moves to where she can. She even has a dogbed in the kitchen to lay on while watching me cook or bake.

Our newest girls didn't take as long. The first or second night River was curled up next to me on the dogbed. Lynni, you have to be careful getting her attention or being in her path during a zoomie attack, because she will launch at you with the intent to cover you in kisses and dog hair. (It's quite scary having a grinning greyhound flying across the room at you :blink: ) I guess that is close to Lab-like :lol It only happens during a zoomie attack. Rest of the day she is a quiet lovebug.

If I sit on our couch for an extended period, they all take turns curling up next to me. I have a post going in Cute & Funny of River laying ON me. :lol They are also shadows. Lynni stands back, quietly observing, quick to step up if offered a treat while I am baking or cooking. River is laying right behind me with her paw touching my heal.

Basically, I haven't gone to the bathroom alone in years unless I shut the door. I had a month where my son wasn't trying to be in there with me before bringing home Sammi who picked up where he left off <_<

Edited by Gryffenne

My new dog was not only aloof but initially he was afraid to be petted, and would shy away from me. It is now 10 weeks and he suddenly has become a love sponge, and wants to be petted and snuggled quite often. It seemed to happen right after I started giving him special treats, like a little ice cream on occasion.

I do think that some greys are more aloof than others, and that in general greyhounds are not as needy as most dogs. But I also think that if you like her to ask you for affection, you need to reward that behavior with some sort of treat (food, scratching her in her special place, talking to her in your happiest voice, whatever she seems to respond to.) Remember that her personality will not fully emerge until you have had her a year, and with our first dog it was 2 years after we got him. He just got sweeter and more relaxed with us the longer we had him.

Where I come from it's known as "cupboard love" :lol

But you are right Greys are not generally as needy as some other breeds, it also means that when they do show genuine affection (without bribery) it means so much more :)

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

Still early days yet! You won't see her true personality for several more months, probably!! Just enjoy the ride!!

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

You'll see lots of positive changes. In December, we'll have had Bonnie for 2 years. I remember giving her a kiss very soon after her adoption, and her pulling away in response. When I kiss her now, I get the chin shake, lol.

Last summer, when we'd walk on the beach, she'd venture into the water, but didn't seem all that impressed. This year, I clip on an extra long lead and she plays, splashing in and out of the water, digging in the sand, and running circles around me.

I just love watching her bloom. :)

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.
Forever Home on December 20, 2012
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
My Etsy Shop

Guest BiggiesOwner

When we first got Biggie the most affectionate he got was maybe occasionally leaning on us / tolerating being petted. Fast forward to the eight month mark and he actively will come over to us for an ear scratch, gives intense stares/whines/paw signals asking for belly rubs, runs up to strangers for head pats.

We haven't had him for that long - but I'm excited to see how he keeps developing a personality!

The answer is...maybe!

My dog George took 18 months to really be himself. I admit, he was a little slow! He also took 18 months to figure out he could TURN AROUND instead of walking backwards out of a room.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Ariasmom

Have to agree with pp's here; we have had our girl for 10 years now (she's 14.5 years old) and she was extremely shy when we first got her. She spent the first 6 months on her bed just watching everything that we were doing. She was very protective of her bed, so we always respected her space that way.

It took a good eighteen months until she really relaxed with us. She is not a snuggler by any means but would come up to us for belly rubs and ear scratches. Each Greyhound has their own unique personality, for sure. Our girl taught us about her personality and quirks, and she learned about our family at the same time.

That being said, she is a very important member of the family. She figured out who 'Daddy' was right away, of course. She is a joy to us and the best thing we did was to decide on adopting a Greyhound. So OP, you have started a wonderful journey. Congrats!!

Guest PiagetsMom

I've never actually had a "snuggler". Both of my girls were more independent, although they absolutely welcomed lovings on their terms. My boy Mirage is my shadow, my constant companion - whatever room I'm in, he's there, too. He likes my company, but, he isn't a snuggler. He likes his own bed, and his own space. He does welcome affection, and likes a belly rub, and I'm more than happy to give him both!

I think you'll see lots of changes in Wasabi over time as she settles in - for all of my pups, it took about 6 months for them to really settle in, and they continued to change over the years. Enjoy learning about your girl! :)

Guest Wasabi303

He also took 18 months to figure out he could TURN AROUND instead of walking backwards out of a room.

Oh my. I actually spit coffee when I read this. :rofl

Thanks for the stories everyone. Wasabi is very shadow like at this point too, she needs to be able to see me at all times. I am excited to see how she will develop in the next few months!

He also took 18 months to figure out he could TURN AROUND instead of walking backwards out of a room.

I really laugh out loud every time i read this. The visualization just cracks me up. I don't think Sammi knows what Reverse is, and she is turning 12 in a few months! If she can't turn around, she stands there looking pitiful until you adjust whatever needs to be adjusted for her to turn around.

The answer is...maybe!

My dog George took 18 months to really be himself. I admit, he was a little slow! He also took 18 months to figure out he could TURN AROUND instead of walking backwards out of a room.

:lol so there is hope for Johnny then

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

I've had Lola for 5 years now, and her sweetness STILL continues to emerge. At first, she was just weird and jumpy and scared of everything. If you entered the room, she would leave. :unsure Little by little, she started enjoying pets and people and other animals, and she's even getting snuggly in the bed. It doesn't sound like your girl will take that long. It's true, when they slowly start wanting more affection, those moments are special!

2rqyqhd.jpg

Guest CleverJason

The answer is...maybe!

Great! That means there's hope for mine, who is still moonwalking after 8 months instead of turning around.

Great! That means there's hope for mine, who is still moonwalking after 8 months instead of turning around.

Moonwalking...that's exactly what it is :rofl

Now every time Johnny reverses out of the kitchen I will be hearing Michael Jackson tunes :rolleyes:

Paige is still 'unfolding'. She was aloof for a very long time with DH but now approaches him to greet him when he gets home. That took two years. She doesn't like strangers touching her. She is generally by herself or with me as close as possible. It will come, but I think you learn to appreciate the quiet times. Like this morning, Paige hopped up on the bed with me after DH left. She generally lies in her bed beside me, but this morning wanted cuddles. It will probably be another month or so before that happens again. She is my shadow.

I think she's more special to me because of that. I think I was the first person she ever completely trusted and I remain her human. If we had to rehome our dogs (never, never, never), the others could be successfully rehomed. Paige couldn't. I love the more selective aloof weird little dogs.

Guest Houston1219

Houston was very curious but his reverse was broken. We had only had him a couple months when he went sniffing in the narrow (10-12") space between the shed and fence. It was a strange mix of panic and hilarity when we realized he was back there, and that he couldn't figure out how to get out. All we saw was his little brindle butt sticking out from behind the tool shed and heard our first GSOD ever. I was about to go hulk and tear down the rubbermaid shed, but daddyman was able to grip him behind his back legs and coax him out. Needless to say, the next day I came home and the shed had been moved up against the fence. Glad there's one logical thinker in this household!

I'd forgotten about this.... I took Hermon to one of my therapist visits as she is a real dog lover and the hounds enjoy the trip. We interrupted our session for ten minutes when he went into a space between a couch, table and book case then couldn't get out. He needed to reverse but couldn't so we had to move the table then the couch to give him space to turn around in.....

Guest Greyt_livin

Ryan started coming to the couch for his morning after eating face rubs on my work pants :shakefinger He thinks of me has his human tissue. I got creative and now have a small blanket handy and he lays his head in my lap and wipes his nose and face all over the blanket. I get to rub his face and ears down for this little morning ritual which he enjoys so much!! Pants saved!! :rofl

• 1 year later...
Guest Noosh

The answer is...maybe!

Emma does this when she comes to see me if I'm still in bed.

There is a least a metre to turn around, but just does the reverse up- beep, beep, beep... (we do the sound effects!)

We've had a shy girl for just over 18 months now and she continues to change in terms of how much affection she likes. Last night she jumped up on the sofa with me which is fairly unusual for her. I think she likes affection but isn't too sure how to ask for it, sometime she edges over to us and looks awkward for a while but seems to relax when we scratch her tummy or her neck.