Toby's Eye Surgery--Glaucoma Sucks--Update #71

Hi everyone, as some of you know, Toby has been dealing with glaucoma for the last 8 or 9 months. It's only in his right eye. At first we were controlling the eye pressure with 3 different eye drops, 3x/day. Recently the eye pressure shot up again and he has been up to 5 different eye drops 3x/day. Then he started developing a corneal ulcer. The pressure is still high and at his last visit, they told me he has inflammation in the middle of his eyeball as well, and the ulcer hasn't healed much. He has been blind in his right eye for the last month or so. So, with an eye that is blind plus causing him pain, we really have no choice but to have his right eye surgically removed. I am upset over it but there is nothing else we can do.

He has surgery on Friday. Everyone please think good thoughts for our sweet 10 1/2 year old boy.

toby_zpse75e6623.jpg

Edited by fsugrad

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, poor Toby. Hope he heals up quickly and loses the pain. We'll hold him in our best thoughts, along with you.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Sending all good thoughts. Glaucoma certainly does suck; it made my father blind.

Pam with Sockem the GH, Birdie the JRT, Osorno the chocolate lab, and Shelby the shepherd mix. Missing Clarice (1991-2007) and Lily (2004-2012), always in our hearts.

My puppy had glaucoma from an eye injury. I understand how it is really very painful for them. I could tell by Jack's behavior

when it was bad, one night he just could not sleep and was very restless, overall not himself. We were able to do an

ciliary ablation and he was able to keep the eye, but no more pain or pressure. Good luck with Toby.

Linda, Jack and Keeva

Sending good thoughts that Toby's surgery goes well and he heals quickly. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest IrskasMom

I am so sorry for Toby . Please give him mega Hugs from me . I understand your Concern and being Upset.

I belief we are heading down that way. My Morty has Eye Problems to and is on three different Drops a Day . Prednisolone , Tacrolimus and Dorzolomide . Glaucoma spikes at Night and so far it happened twice . I do have some Drops in the Fridge for Emergency to reduce Eye Pressure .Eye Vet told me , it is most Important to keep Infection away from his right Eye.

Edited by IrskasMom

Hope all goes well with the surgery and that he feels much better once it's all done.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Oh, poor Toby :cry1 He's been through an ordeal (as have you, I'm sure). Will be thinking of him and sending a ton of good thoughts on Friday. :goodluck

From what I'm reading in this thread glaucoma seems to be painful, so at least after the surgery he will not have to deal with that anymore. Hope the surgery goes swimmingly and he heals quickly!

:grouphug for you.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Sending best wishes for a smooth surgery and quick recovery for Toby. I'm so sorry you're dealing with this.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

So sorry you're dealing with this...

If it's any consolation, dogs are great for adapting and just moving on. When Henry lost his leg, I struggled with it because I thought he just wouldn't be "whole" anymore. Not the case. Plus, he gets ten times more (pity) attention and cookies than he ever did. I think losing his leg was the best thing that ever happened to him. :lol I hope that's true for Toby too.

Sending lots of good thoughts and prayers for Toby. I went through this surgery with a friend and her poodle 3 years ago and the surgery went very well. The vet office released her a day too soon (it was Labor Day weekend) which created problems but the surgery was a huge success and she loves her life as a pirate poodle. I am sure Toby will feel much better and will be a fabulous pirate.