Ollie's Nose Looks Red And Slightly Scabbed

IAMs

First, I want to say THANKS for everyone's advice on Ollie losing the fur on the underside of his neck. It's gotten a bit better. We're pretty sure he was losing his winter fur.

Anyway, we've noticed something else that has us puzzled. The left side of his nose seems red and rough to the touch, almost feeling like its a scabbed over area. It's maybe a bit inflamed, too... but it's hard to tell. Nothing has changed in terms of routines or behaviors. He doesn't react when you touch his nose. It's just us trying to figure out what might be going on.

Any ideas?

left side, side view, close up, no flash

IMG_8497_zpsb9472c7d.jpg

left side, side view, slightly farther out, no flash

IMG_8498_zps275e3b46.jpg

left side, diagonal view, close up, no flash

IMG_8499_zps9e850d6e.jpg

right side (unaffected side), diagonal view, close up, no flash

IMG_8500_zpsb1383b7d.jpg

Thoughts?

-Joel

Edited by IAMs

Gwen (07/2003-11/2009),  * Maya (cancer , 06/2003-10/2013), *Ollie (cancer 07/2013 - 10/2018), *Azalea (cancer, 7/6/2015 - 5/20/2019), Ashe (cancer 04/2011 - 03/2020)

*Aztec (sister of Inca, 12/1996-08/2011), *Inca (half-Siamese kitty ,12/1996 - 9/2016)

This may be a bit of a stretch but: Discoid Lupus is also called Cutaneous Lupus Erythematosus (CLE) http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Canine_discoid_lupus

My iggy Little Dude had pemphigus on his nose. It made his skin peel. We just put vitamin E oil on it.

e50dd3d9-ca6c-4795-8af8-62fa293308ad_zps

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I had a foster once who had a similar spot above her nose, and spots below/around her eyes. Turned out to be a combo of yeast and fungal infections. I believe they were also considering demodex, but ruled that out. It cleared up pretty quickly with meds and never returned (I know her adopters, and it's been 4 years now).

Just another possible avenue to explore.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

i vote for a puppy who got into something. felix has scraped his nose as a young dog. to me it looks like summer nose- my welsh terrier's nose used to change pigmentation with seasonal changes. i also didn't really notice any red/raw areas. that could make me think of mange which usually starts on the head, but again nothing red and raw, just lack of pigmentation. i know ollie's start in life was not the most supportive and mange lives on critters all the time, it's when their immune is challenged that's when it shows up.

so, if you are really worried let the vet take a peek- but it looks pretty normal to me-the pigment should return once it's healed.i bet you it has something to do w/ change of coat.

Edited by cleptogrey