The Big D And Related Questions

Guest SpeedBump

Guest SpeedBump

Everett has had consistently soft poop the entire time he's been with us, about six weeks. His foster mom told me they had the same problem with him, so we've been figuring it's his food. We just wanted to give him some time to settle in before we go changing foods on him.

Anyway, about four or five days ago he started having totally liquid diarrhea about every 5 hours. He would wake us up in the middle of the night to potty, which he normally doesn't do. Luckily he's been pretty good at giving us enough of a warning that we have time to get him outside. We've been feeding him a bland diet of mushy white rice and cooked ground beef with the fat drained off to see if we could wait it out and reset his system. He's not off his food at all. In fact, he scarfs down everything we give him and would probably eat his regular kibble if we let him. He's been drinking slightly less but not enough to cause enormous concern. I wet down his meals until they're almost soupy, so he's definitely still getting water. Unfortunately even with the bland diet the diarrhea got progressively more urgent and frequent (about every 2 hours starting last night). No discoloration or blood, though, thank heavens.

So this morning I carted him off to the vet with a stool sample. Hooray for our regular vet being open on Saturday mornings! She talked to us about his symptoms and then put the sample under the microscope while we waited. They're still sending it to the lab for the full testing, but she could already tell that he has an overgrowth of some kind of bacteria or parasite. I know it wasn't worms or giardia, but for the life of me I can't remember what she called it! We came home with a 10-day supply of Flagyl and a month's worth of FortiFlora. I already gave Everett the first dose of Flagyl in a little dollup of cottage cheese, and he ate it right up. He's been such a good boy through this whole thing - several days of diarrhea with only one accident in the house (our fault for not being fast enough) and no problems taking his meds. I really hope he starts feeling better soon. I can tell he's not quite himself, not really as perky. Right now he's napping very comfortably on our bed :nappy

I have a few questions...

1) Since my memory seems to be defective, any ideas what the name of the infection would be? Something that the vet can see without a full lab workup that would be treated with Flagyl. I remember it was one of the first things she mentioned as a possibility, so I'm guessing it's pretty common. I've tried looking it up but nothing sounds familiar/right.

2) In your experience, is it likely that he'll need another round of Flagyl, or should 10 days do the trick?

3) I've been giving him a cup of rice with a half cup of beef three times a day. He normally has two meals, but I thought maybe more frequent, smaller portions would help. He acts so hungry still, but I don't know if giving him more will upset his system. He was previously eating 2 cups of Diamond Naturals kibble twice a day. His racing weight ranged from 65 to 70 lbs, but he came to us pretty skinny (we're guessing because of the stress of the transition from the track). We just had him back up to 70, then today he weighed in at 67. Any thoughts about portion size?

I'm probably more worried about this than I should be. I know greys can have sensitive digestive systems, but as a new owner it's pretty concerning. I just want my happy, healthy houndie back.

Guest OPointyDog

Sounds like you are on the right track. I will say that some dogs are more sensitive to fat than others, so you may want to try low fat beef and try boiling it rather than frying it. The boiling process does a better job of separating out the fat. I just break it up into little chunks and drop it into the boiling water - they turn brown and float when they're done.

Lots of things can cause an imbalance of bacteria in their intestines. Many times it's just something they ate and shouldn't have.

When I was home cooking for our diarrhea prone dog, we figured out how many calories were in his normal dog food, and then calculated the calories in rice and beef and tried to feed him enough to make up the calories. That way at least he didn't lose ground. We ended up splitting into 3 or 4 smaller meals so that it didn't overwhelm his system.

Good luck and hopefully the flagyl will do the trick!

You might want to look up the veterinarian's potato diet. It solved Fuzzy's diarrhea issue. It is about as bland as you can get. I did add a protein; canned human chicken. Just two tablespoons per meal.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest sireltonsmom

Beau had resistant hooks. We dosed him big time and they are gone. We changed food to IAMS and for the first time in a year he has logs! Good luck finding out what it is. Vet will likely call you and you can ask what she said plus know what is wrong now. Flagy. Is to settle the digestive tract if I remember right. Hang in there. You will get him on track eventually.

Guest SpeedBump

Update - I got the follow-up call from the vet today. The lab didn't find any worms or other problems with Everett's fecal, and they reminded me that what the vet found was Clostridia. The bland diet and meds seem to be working, as the total liquid diarrhea stopped. He's had two soft but formed poos now and is only going at his regular times instead of every few hours. He finally slept through the night again!

Thanks for the replies. I started boiling the beef as suggested. I'm hoping we continue to see steady improvement and no problems when we add kibble back in (slowly of course). I'm still contemplating how long to keep him on the bland diet. I don't want to go backwards but He acted much more content/full with kibble and he's very talented at pulling my heartstrings by looking pitiful.