Poop Question (Everyone's Favourite Subject)

Guest littlelisaa

Guest littlelisaa

Okay, I know everyone has poop questions, but so now I'm getting frustrated. We've had Gee for almost a year and I would say he has good days and bad days. We had some issues in the beginning with him and got that all sorted out, changed his food a number of times, tried lots, vet food, Iams, Nutro Natural Choice - Venison for Sensitive, now we're on Nutram for Sensitive - Lamb & Rice and some days are great and then other days are really bad. He's been vet checked and there's nothing wrong with him. Basically I guess I just wonder if there's some greys that will just always have soft poop? Thoughts??

an other question.. is it the first poop that is soft or liquid or the second.. third..?

many hounds after a long walk will have second, third poop getting more and more softer...

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Our first greyhound, Tuffy: You will always be there with us my angel!
Tuffy greyhound-data
Otis greyhound-data Abbey greyhound-data
"When you open your minds to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth." W.Bishop

Guest littlelisaa

He usually poops twice a day. But even on the first poop. I would say the first couple pieces are soft"ish" and then the last drop is like liquid!

I wonder the same thing. We are well into our 3rd year with Slick and still cannot get firm poops on a regular basis. Just like you, we have tried many foods and have finally settled on TOTW. He still has spells where his poops start solid but ends soft. He has been tested and retested for all kinds of parasites and other internal issues. We have just accepted that this is his 'normal'. I will be interested to read the other responses.

Everyday-4.jpg

Guest Doggone

Autumn came to me with the same kind of "end products", eating Blue Buffalo. She wouldn't eat any of the "firming" kinds of foods: sweet potato, pumpkin, etc.. After a few months, I decided to switch her to IAMS green bag (having read its benefits on GT), plus I've found both sweet potato and pumpkin types of dog treats. Problem solved! :)

Btw, because she's not really too food-motivated, I do tend to add about a tablespoon of canned food to her kibble, plus enough water to make a "gravy". It keeps her interested in her food, yet it's not enough to either upset her stomach nor to change her poop.

Guest normaandburrell

My first grey had 2-3 poops a day. The first would be soft but formed, and each one after that was looser. My new grey has somewhat firmer poop, but follows the same pattern in that if he poops more than once, it is more liquid. I always give the dog a long morning walk, which is when they usually poop, so I wonder if it the exercise somehow does it.

Guest littlelisaa

We have a dog walker come around noon and Gee doesn't like to poo in the morning. He'll go in our backyard, but seems to save his poops for his walks! But even then she says it's pretty soft. When I walk him at night it seems about the same.

Guest greyhound_in_LA

Walking more and more triggers pooping, so many dogs will poop on long or active walks and not during a short visit to the yard.

I would try adding pumpkin to his diet. And probiotics, too.

Though my Annie (almost 7 years old, adopted 3 years ago) is on Iams Green Bag, which does a good job compared to anything else, her poos aren't the most solid I've seen coming out of a dog. They are very well formed in the morning but still not solid enough to pick up without them squishing. That's why I place a small paper plate on the grass under her butt on our walks. It catches the poo, there's no mess and the plate fits into the poo bag with no problem. As the day progresses, her poos are usually still formed but are always softer. And like your dog, often the last to come out will be a liquid drop.

She's healthy. She doesn't have worms, etc. After all this time, I've decided it's just the way her innards work and I don't worry/think about it any more.

Edited by Feisty49

Guest littlelisaa

Thanks everyone. Sounds like Gee is normal. Well as normal as a kooky grey can be! Thanks very much!! Even tonight I walked him and it was "pick-up-able"!

Second and third poops are often puddling-like as they like to void just after starting walks.

If the issues you see are cyclical then think about parasites.

I've had the best success with Iams Proactive, and currently Duck & Brown Rice Kibble which has only 18.5% protien and isn't too greasy.

Lamb and rice is a disaster. Chicken not a lot better. Turkey is better than Chicken. Maize (real corn) is better than Wheat.

Don't let them clean human dishes which have gravy on them. If table scraps must be given then fat-free meat and plain veggies only.

Guest littlelisaa

Pretty sure it doesn't seem to happen cyclical. Just seems very random. Thanks for the suggestion about the probiotic though! Tried the pumpkin, didn't seem to make much of a difference. He doesn't get people food. Just healthy stuff, bananas and peanut butter so far.

Guest greyers

Been through this with about half of my greys over the past 18 years where it seems like no matter what they are fed, they still are likely to have barely formed poop or pudding poop almost all of the time. I have found one thing that has changed that with my current two and that is switching to frozen raw patties. After Madeline was refusing to eat most meals and I spent a month trying to get her to eat anything to put weight on for her spay, I tried raw one day and she scarfed it and hasn't missed a meal now for the 3 months since I switched her. Her poops are now perfect and firm and we ended up having to switch my boy over as well and his poops are now perfect too. His have been mostly bad the almost 3 years we have owned him no matter what he ate, but not anymore since the raw switch. Pior to this though, I have had many dogs that display exactly what you are talking about on pretty much any food and they had no worms or health problems that were causing it. So I think it is "normal" for some dogs.

ETA- "perfect form" by honest kitchen helped us a little. Probiotics and pumpkin never has helped any of my dogs. If you decide down the line to switch to raw you might find the problem completely dissapears, but honest kitchen might be something good to try out and see if it makes a difference. You can get on Amazon if your local high end stores do not carry it.

Edited by greyers

Guest littlelisaa

I know I hear lots of positive things about raw but I don't feel ready to go that route yet. I just started the peanut butter and felt like it was maybe helping. Even the treats we give are for sensitive but I'm thinking I might have to cut those out too

Guest Houston1219

Walking more and more triggers pooping, so many dogs will poop on long or active walks and not during a short visit to the yard.

Can someone please explain this to my dog? We can walk until he is dragging behind tired and still he will hold it until we get back to the house! :rotfl we go on a vacation and he will hold it a good two days until he is SURE we are not going home any time soon, and he can't hold it any more. I guess it's like some people only like to go in their own bathroom?

Guest littlelisaa

See, now Gee seems to be the opposite. He will hold it until a walk and then only if I don't take him out he will go in our yard. I'm also thinking that maybe he's forcing it out on his walks and that's why it's going runny. It seems like if I wait till later in the day, it's a better "consistency". And other times it's like he's forcing something out cuz he's on a walk and he really doesn't need to go, he's just going because he's walking. They really are characters aren't they!

Guest Maybeff

This post made me feel so much better! I'm a new greyhound mommy and have been in an absolute panic about her poop. I felt like I did a ton of research before we adopted her and now I feel like I didn't do enough so I'm glad I found this forum. Thanks!

I 3rd the Raw diet! I understand you aren't ready, it had taken me awhile to try but i'm so glad I did. If you don't want to try raw, may I

suggest adding tripe to the kibble. A good canned brand is by Tripett. Stinky but healthy. Natural probiotic qualities and digestive enzymes. I use green beef tripe when i'm out of the raw tripe. Both my dogs get about 4 tbsp. each meal. Both my pups have great stools including the one with pancreatic insuffiency which is why I started raw yrs ago.