Little Dog Attacks Hound--Advice?

We have a potential adopter who has fallen in love with one of our hounds. This hound has been waiting since Feb to be adopted. The only knock against him is that he's not cat safe. No problem, the adopter's son is allergic to cats, so they'll never have one. Great. They passed the home visit. Great.

When the greyhound was introduced to their senior boston terrier yesterday, the boston terrrier lunged at the hound and tried to attack him. No one was hurt. The hound did not try to attack the boston terrier. So the potential adopter said, "They don't get along. we'll have to wait and find another greyhound that our boston gets along with."

Today she's called back and said she still really wants that hound. She wants to hire a professional dog trainer, at her expense, to facilitate the introduction to see if it would go any smoother.

What do you think? Can they be re-introduced smoothly if the first attempt went poorly? What would you recommend? Muzzles for both dogs? I bet the old Boston doesn't have a muzzle.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

My first question would be has the senior dog ever shared the home with another dog. When we brought Emmy home, the reason Jilly Bean adapted to Emmy was Emmy wouldn't accept that kind of behavior out of Jilly Bean. Once she stood up to Jilly, everything was fine. My resent experience with Baby and Bandita taught me that some dogs just will not stand up for themselves making them targets for the dog who is being the aggressor. It's the reason why we had to return Baby. After 3 attacks Bandita still would not stand up for herself and was being badly hurt.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

My first question would be has the senior dog ever shared the home with another dog. When we brought Emmy home, the reason Jilly Bean adapted to Emmy was Emmy wouldn't accept that kind of behavior out of Jilly Bean. Once she stood up to Jilly, everything was fine. My resent experience with Baby and Bandita taught me that some dogs just will not stand up for themselves making them targets for the dog who is being the aggressor. It's the reason why we had to return Baby. After 3 attacks Bandita still would not stand up for herself and was being badly hurt.

Judy, to answer your question...no the dog has never shared its home with another dog. And the hound in question, although he is NOT cat safe, doesn't know what to make of little dogs and backs away from them!

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

To me it would depend on the owner's ability to control their small dog. It's a good sign the greyhound isn't fighting back, but unless the owner is willing to make the small dog behave, I wouldn't put any dog there. I turned down an adopter who wouldn't make their small dog stop getting in Maddy's face and growling during the home visit. My husband was correcting their dog while they stood there.

Any other dog but Maddy and I think we would have had a dog fight.

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05

No advice, but I remember a dog that was adopted out of our group to a person who had 2 small dogs. One of the dogs constantly was harassing the greyhound and the owners did nothing to correct it. I don't remember the time frame, but the greyhound finally had enough and grabbed the dog shaking it and killing it. A real tragedy all around. The owners tried to insist that the grey be put down, but fortunately the rescue group did not do that. The dog went to a home with no small animals and never had another incident.

I'm not saying this is what will happen but depending on the owners it is one possible outcome.

Good luck

Edited by june

You might remember that Paul was attacked by a Yorkshire terrior last year. He never tried to go after the other dog, even when he was being repeatedly being bitten. He sustained over 30 bites and punctures. I would be afraid for the greyhound's safety since he seemed to lack the initiative to defend himself, just like Paul.

Edited by Houndtime

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Small dogs tend to be very territorial, especially about their homes, yards, toys and people. Since the senior dog has never had to share any of those things, it could be a pretty rough go of it. Jilly was only four and we took her to training classes and that helped a lot. A senior may be set it its ways and the owners may have a hard time trying to train the older dog.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest greyhound_in_LA

I don't think the senior Boston would get along with any addition, so unless the owners are going to train it and supervise, then I don't think it's a great idea to subject a gentle greyhound to the doings of a grumpy old dog.

Their response at first "finding a grey that their dog gets along with" is incredibly naive. A Boston terrier, though small and smoosh-faced, is still a terrier at heart. I don't think I'd trust him to get along with any dog brought into his home without a proper introduction. There should have been an introduction before the final pass off, in my opinion, to give everyone a clear view of the situation when not in the Boston's territory, and maybe the grey should have been brought in by his foster people to make sure that everything would be fine with the little dog (if he was not cat safe, I would have thought it would have been more controlled in case he decided to go after the Boston).

I don't think I'd give the grey a chance to be attacked again, until I was absolutely sure that the Boston was acting fine around the hound in non-home settings, and then carefully re-introduced in the home with an advocate for the grey there (and a handler specifically for the grey that the Boston doesn't view as "his").

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I would not adopt any greyhound to a home with a small dog that clearly does not have manners. I have pulled two adoptions when I did the home visit for just that reason.

Chad

Big Red Flag. If I was doing that home check, there would be no greyhound adopted while the terrier is in the picture.

As much as you want this hound to find a home, you don't want him to end up being labeled as vicious if he defends himself against the terrier. No dog should have to go through that. The situation would actually be too stressful for BOTH.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Thanks for the input, everyone. I don't know how or where the intro took place. The thought of the greyhound finally getting fed up/snapping/killing the little dog really scares me. I will share this info with some of our group members.

Big Red Flag. If I was doing that home check, there would be no greyhound adopted while the terrier is in the picture.

As much as you want this hound to find a home, you don't want him to end up being labeled as vicious if he defends himself against the terrier. No dog should have to go through that. The situation would actually be too stressful for BOTH.

I would not adopt any greyhound to a home with a small dog that clearly does not have manners. I have pulled two adoptions when I did the home visit for just that reason.

Chad

:nod :nod :nod

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I just found out that the introduction took place in a grassy area down the street from the Boston's house. So, neutral territory.

I wouldn't let them have the dog because the happiness of their existing senior dog should be first and foremost in their minds, and clearly it isn't. I think it's unkind to force another dog on a senior, if that senior isn't interested in a companion.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I wouldn't adopt the dog to them. I agree the existing dog should enjoy his life. And even with tons of training, it may not be effective or there may be setbacks. It doesn't sound like a safe, happy environment. Not to be morbid, but tell them to wait for their senior to pass. Let his remaining time here be peaceful.

Guest CleverJason

No advice, but I remember a dog that was adopted out of our group to a person who had 2 small dogs. One of the dogs constantly was harassing the greyhound and the owners did nothing to correct it. I don't remember the time frame, but the greyhound finally had enough and grabbed the dog shaking it and killing it. A real tragedy all around. The owners tried to insist that the grey be put down, but fortunately the rescue group did not do that. The dog went to a home with no small animals and never had another incident.

I'm not saying this is what will happen but depending on the owners it is one possible outcome.

Good luck

That would be my fear as well. If the grey isn't cat safe, he may eventually show aggression toward a small dog, especially when provoked. If the Boston terrier attacks the greyhound, you're dealing with scrapes, cuts and bruises. If the greyhound attacks a Boston terrier, it's very likely the little guy won't survive. I see that as an unacceptable risk.