Quality Of Life Consultation With Vet

I'm flip flopping on making an appointment with my vet to discuss Magic's quality of life from a medical perspective so I'm coming here for advice.

Magic has probable LS and LP; neither has been officially diagnosed; although the vet opened Magic's mouth and looked down his throat. His back end is weak but he doesn't fall very often other than his legs going out from under him when he's in the process of laying down. Sometimes he gets his legs to the side; sometimes I help him. He sometimes has trouble getting up usually due to his front feet slipping on the rug.

He doesn't fall down while he's pottying and usually doesn't have trouble with the two steps to get back in the house. He's eating a little more slowly probably due to his lifting his back end and changing position. I'm not too worried about that since he used to inhale his food. When I move his bowl from the kitchen to his feeder stand in the living room, he bounces around like normal; and, if he does fall, gets up quickly.

He doesn't seem to be in pain: no crying and yelping and minimal panting which could be due to heat since we don't have AC. The panting stops when he drinks some water and lays down in front of the fan.

I'm taking this one day at a time. I see no reason to believe he won't make it until his 9th Gotcha Day (tomorrow).

What do you think? Should I make an appointment for a consultation?

Carol, missing Magic (1/5/01 - 4/15/15) but welcoming Fuzzy's Joy Behar (Joy) into my life on 5/31/15.

I think I would make the appointment, to confirm he's truly not in any pain. If he is, he gets some meds. If he's not, then maybe it will help ease your worry.

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020

Hopefully, someone will post the signs regarding quality of life. I don't know them off the top of my head. Personally, his quality of life seems quite good to me.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I guess it doesn't hurt to talk to your vet. It might be good to know what to look for, etc.

Magic has always been very special. I hope he is with you for a good while, yet.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest MnMDogs

How old is he and is he on any meds? He sounds like Mork was, and we managed him very well with meds... Not having AC would be my only concern if he does have LP since they can over heat so quickly.

Edited by MnMDogs

Carol,

Magic is on gabapentin, soloxine (for thyroid), and Novox. I don't allow him to stay outside on warm, sunny days for any length of time. if he doesn't stop panting after coming in, drinking some water, and laying in front of the fan, I have a second fan that also blows on him. It also may help that this summer hasn't been too hot and humid and we live in an old stone house with trees surrounding the building so little sunshine actually gets in.

Carol, missing Magic (1/5/01 - 4/15/15) but welcoming Fuzzy's Joy Behar (Joy) into my life on 5/31/15.

Guest MnMDogs

Have you considered adequan to help with his back end? We also used it for Mork and I do think it helped. He was still wobbly and he still sank if standing too long but there was no indication he was in pain, and he was so happy, which sounds like your Magic.

I know for the last year of Mork's life I was constantly emailing my vet since my fear was he was in pain. So maybe a vet visit will help to put your mind at ease. Hugs to your sweet old man.

Carol, IMO Magic does not sound too bad yet. But a trip to the vet to have a discussion might help you. Just an idea to pass on- I had Jamey our tripod lie down when he was eating so he would not have to stand. Would this work for Magic?

We used this quality of life chart with Jamey, and most recently with our cat, Jet. I would refer to it every couple of weeks, or if I felt it was needed. It may give you a starting point to discuss with the vet.

Link Quality of Life

There are other charts like this on the internet too.

Good luck with Magic!

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Agree with all the good advice above, including a vet visit to ensure Magic's medical plan is appropriate for his current condition. It seems Magic is still doing fairly well and may be managed for a good while longer.

Two thoughts come to mind:

- Magic's teeth and gums should be checked to ensure he's not feeling mouth pain when he tries to eat.

- It's always a good idea to reread potential side effects for all medications our pets are given. Many drugs can affect appetite, panting level, resting state, eliminations, blood pressure, etc.

As you're probably aware, LP and LS are progressive conditions but can often be managed very effectively for many years. We've easily managed one of our LP hounds for 6 years, so far. Our second LP hound presented different symptoms (including hind end weakness) and was diagnosed later, but we're easily managing his care too. He's more limited during outside physical activity, but is happily interested in his daily routine, humans, etc., with a bright future. (Both hounds are approaching 13 y.o.)

BTW, I mentioned the first LP hound's symptoms to the vet the previous year (upon adoption), but LP was never mentioned to me as a possibility. The vet finally heard our hound's loud raspy breathing with excessive panting, by chance, during a routine appointment the following summer on a hot day. Vet immediately said it was LP, but it was "officially" diagnosed when tested prior to a dental procedure.

No advice just :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

All I can say is, that you will know. Like me, you will deny it for a while, but, you will know. We began to be afraid that Paul would fall when we weren't home and not be able to get up and be in a panic. The thought of that was so upsetting to me, that, I couldn't bear to think of it. Paul was very arthritic and had a lot of difficulty getting up and down on his bed. He, too, ate well, played a little and romped a step or two in the yard. But, those were not the major parts of his day. Good luck and hopefully Magic will be here for a long time.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

It really is a decision only you and the vet(s) you trust can make. I'm a big fan of second and sometimes third opinions. In my mind thought it was Poodle's time to go months ago but Dr. Josh did not want to give up on him. He did finally tell me last month there was a quality of life issue that wouldn't get better with his spondylosis (sp) and I agreed.

:grouphug

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

People usually put off asking those questions even though they may have been wanting to ask others for their views for quite some time,

When faced with a similar set of issues with a dog of mine I eventually come around to thinking about it this way:

When Considering Euthanasia ask yourself these questions: (Written by a vet)

1) Is the dog free of distress, pain or discomfort, and could the pain be controlled?
2) Can the dog walk and balance fairly well?
3) Can the dog eat and drink without vomiting?
4) Is the dog free of inoperable tumours which are painful?
5) Can the dog breathe without difficulty?
6) Can the dog urinate or defecate without difficulty or incontinence?
7) Does the dog have an owner who is able to cope physically and
mentally with any nursing that may be needed?

If treatment is not possible then answering 'No' to any of those questions means there is no blame in having the dog put to sleep.

Next, ask yourself if it was yourself in your dog’s situation, would you actually wish to continue living? Better a day too soon than a day of misery too late.

Then ask your vet if they think it is time to consider letting the dog go. If not then how long and what to watch out for in the quality of life equation.

---------

So, unfortunately, you are already in the 'no-blame' zone and can take comfort from the fact that you are a good and caring pet-owner.

Every dog is different and they all experience terminal disease in their own way. So you treat the dog and not the 'numbers'. From experience of having a Great Dane with similar mobility issues, we managed to keep her for about 18 months after dx. She'd fall first with one leg and then a few months later with both as the muscles lost their power as a result of the signals not making it through to them. Coping strategies included pain meds, steroids, swimming, and using a harness with handle along the top as a walking sling. Euthanasia was decided upon when one day she had a bad case of diarrhea in the night and just wasn't able to get up out of her bed to get away from it. I could see in her eyes that enough was enough. I honestly don't believe she 'wanted' to go to the Bridge until that day. We arranged a home visit and she left this world on fine sunny morning in her favourite walking field.

My Buddy was treated for LS for four years and he was fine until he really couldn't feel his back end and would go outside to potty and then poop as soon as he came back into the house and then he was mortified. This is a dog that NEVER did anything in the house since we adopted him at 3 years of age. Sometimes he needed help when he had to get up, but did manage pretty well. He knew he couldn't do the steps to the second floor and slept downstairs with no problem.

The day came that he could NOT do anything other than a regular dog sit. He had trouble getting up and he couldn't lay down. He was 13 years, 2 months exactly that day and he went to The Bridge peacefully. He was my gentle giant.

You will know when it's time. Quality of life is most important.

Mom to Melly and Dani

Greyhound Bridge Angels - Jessie, Brittne, Buddy,

Red, Chica, Ford and Dodge.

I'm taking Magic to the vet tomorrow evening for a consultation. I read over the 2 quality of life postings here and believe Magic's quality of life isn't too bad at this point. Since he made his 9th Gotcha Day, I'll have to come up with another milestone.

We went for our consultation today. The vet thinks Magic may have a couple of months and that his back end will be the thing that will ultimately take him from me because he will not be able to get up without help. At least I know and can mentally prepare myself.

Guest MnMDogs

What is he basing that on? Is he offering any other treatment? We managed Mork for almost 2 very happy years after he first fell... Does your vet feel he's in pain? I'm sorry to grill you after such shocking news, but your description of Magic is much like Mork was, and we absolutely could manage him for quite a while, and kept him pain free until the very end. Adequan really did help, as did robaxin.

Hugs to you and your boy.

Carol, it's OK. I think she was basing it on how he was standing in the treatment room. His back end wouldn't stay up. He had been standing for awhile and walking and checking pee-mail. I'm sure his LarPar might be part of the cause. Of course, the floors at the vet aren't exactly conducive to not slipping.

She doesn't feel he's in pain and I'm not convinced he is either. However, I forgot about asking abou the adequan. I can give her a call about it and see what she says.

Cherish every day. Spoil him rotten (well, more rotten) and be sure to take loads of pictures! I hope Magic is around for a very long time. It is amazing how much the right medications can help.

:grouphug It is so hard to watch them struggle as they get older.

Remember he will pick up on your feelings. The more positive you can be the better.

Edited by june

Adequan has helped one of my ponies and I believe Cindy has used it on a couple of her dogs...Brady ?? and Indy, the little Whippet.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg