Stubborn, Unmotivated, Or Just Outsmarting Me? Help!

Guest forcefeedbacon

Guest Funkypaws

I don't really have anything helpful to add, I'm new to greyhound training too, but I just wanted to say that Asha is really beautiful! I have a greyhound puppy & while she is a very sweet natured dog, I'm beginning to realise that she likes to do things on her terms sometimes. If I bring her in from a walk too early, it's just a big Nope at the door for example. I'm lucky, she's young & highly food motivated but I have to keep changing the type of treats around to keep her interested ! We go to puppy school & she will try out most things, but doesn't want to do a lie down for anyone, for any reason, I've tried so many ways! I'm still picking her up to get her in and out of the car, the whole transition stage scares her a bit. I hope I can work on this before she's fully grown!

Good luck with your lovely girl.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you have a friend with a greyhound (or other breed) that willingly jumps into a car? Mine have all learned from each other. If one jumps in the other does NOT want to be left behind.

CollageSnap

<p>Finn, Wink, Birdie, Snap and SmokeyJG Quicknfast 7/25/99-5/16/08, JG Quickwink 7/25/99-9/22/13, Iruska SweetDuv 7/19/03-11/9/16, Delbar 6/11/11 and Catahoula Smokey

Guest missecho

This personality description including the "non-food motivation" part sounds just like my favorite hound--exactly--very independent, great manners, but not responsive to commands.

It's never been a problem--I would not worry about it.

Your hound will train you and things get a lot easier after that happens.