Coconut Oil

Okay everyone! I found myself at BJ's today and saw a tub of coconut oil (extra virgin) for only $10. Seemed like a bargain.

Of course, though I can remember hearing of its many splendid qualities and uses on this forum, I can only remember the one--adding it to Robin's food.

So, can people refresh my memory? How do YOU use it? :)

Cathy & Calvin (DOB 9/18/13). Always missing my angel Robin (Abdo Bullard).

Guest DeniseL

You can cook with it! I use it for everything. I like to put a tablespoon in my coffee in the morning, it fills me and is an way to get some healthy fat first thing in the morning. It also gives me extra energy. (Vinny thinks it is gross in coffee).

I warm it up in a measuring cup and add it to the pups food. A tablespoon or so. Unfortunately I have yet to see the results of the stuff, but I know some are die hard fans.

I have tried it by adding oil to water when boiling their pasta too, and I didn't like the taste when I tried the pasta. To each their own. Please post your results!

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Coconut oil is highly saturated. Does anyone know why it's so healthy? I'm sure I can look it up, but I'd appreciate hearing about it in a simple format. tia

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest Lygracilux

There are more, but to highlight the benefits. All is true for animals too, if your dog has dry skin-rub some in your hands and then onto its coat.It will leave an oily residue for abit but will get rid of the flakes. And If ingested it can help many things:

1. In cooking as a great oil with a high smoke point. Great for baking, stir-frys or as a dairy free replacement to butter.
  2. Taken supple mentally for daily energy
  3. On the skin as a basic lotion
  4. As an eye-makeup remover (this is what I mostly use it for, its great and I never have bags under my eyes)
  5. As a cloth diaper safe diaper cream (just rub on baby’s bottom)
  6. In making your own toothpaste
  7. To lighten age spots when rubbed directly on the skin
  8. To prevent stretch marks during pregnancy
  9. To support healthy thyroid function
  10. To help increase sun tolerance and avoid burning
  11. As a naturally SPF 4 sunscreen
  12. To get rid of cradle cap on baby- just massage in to head, leave on for a few minutes and gently rinse with a warm wash cloth
  13. Topically to kill yeast or yeast infections
  14. As a delicious tropical massage oil
  15. It’s high Lauric acid and MCFA content helps boost metabolism
  16. A tiny dab rubbed on your hands and then through hair will help get rid of frizz
  17. As an intensive nighttime facial moisturizer
  18. Mixed with equal parts sugar for body scrub (use in the shower)
  19. Rubbed on lips as a natural chap stick
  20. Topically, can help skin heal faster after injury or infection
  21. Directly on the perineum to help heal after birth
  22. As an incredibly intensive natural conditioner- Rub into dry hair, put a shower cap on and leave for several hours
  23. On feet to fight athlete’s foot or fungus
  24. In place of Lanolin cream on nursing nipples to sooth irritation (also great for baby!)
  25. Can help sooth psoriasis or eczema
  26. In healthy brain boosting snack for kids like coconut clusters
  27. Rub coconut oil on the inside of your nose to help alleviate allergy symptoms
  28. Nursing moms can take 3-4 tablespoons a day (and Vitamin D) to increase milk supply and nutrients
  29. There is some evidence that coconut oil helps digestion and may even kill intestinal parasites or yeast
  30. Mix a tablespoon with a tablespoon of chai seeds for an all-day energy boost (do NOT take this at night!)
  31. Can help improve insulin levels
  32. Oil pulling with coconut oil and a drop of oregano oil helps improve gum health
  33. Can help improve cholesterol ratios
  34. Blend a tablespoon into hot tea to help speed recovery from cold or flu
  35. In homemade bug off lotion
  36. As a replacement for vegetable oils in any recipe
  37. Better for high-temperature cooking than olive or vegetable oils
  38. Can help reduce appearance of varicose veins
  39. After initial heat is gone, can help speed healing of sunburn
  40. Is an immediate source of energy when eaten and isn’t stored as fat
  41. As a natural personal lubricant that won’t disturb vaginal flora
  42. As a naturally antibacterial skin cream
  43. In natural homemade diaper creme
  44. As a natural shave cream and after shave lotion
  45. When used consistently on skin it can help get rid of cellulite
  46. To season cast iron skillets
  47. It’s anti-inflammatory properties can help lessen arthritis
  48. Can reduce the itch of mosquito bites
  49. Can help resolve acne when used regularly
  50. Can be rubbed into scalp daily to stimulate hair growth
  51. I’ve used in kids ears to help speed ear infection healing
  52. A small amount can be rubbed into real leather to soften and condition (shiny leather only… test a small area first)
  53. By itself as a great tanning oil
  54. Mixed with salt to remove dry skin on feet
  55. Can help improve sleep when taken daily
  56. Can be used to speed healing of fungal infections when taken internally and used externally
  57. A tablespoon melted into a cup of warm tea can help sooth a sore throat
  58. To help sooth the itch of chicken pox or poison ivy
  59. It has been shown to increase absorption of calcium and magnesium
  60. Internally as part of the protocol to help teeth
  61. Some evidence shows that the beneficial fats in coconut oil can help with depression and anxiety
  62. By itself as a natural deodorant
  63. By itself or with baking soda as a naturally whitening toothpaste
  64. For pets struggling with skin issues when used externally
  65. Some evidence suggests that the beneficial fats in coconut oil are helpful for those with Autism
  66. As a safe cooking oil for deep frying
  67. A tablespoon taken before each meal can help improve digestion
  68. Can be taken in warm ginger tea to sooth heartburn or nausea
  69. On hands after doing dishes to avoid dry skin
  70. Can be used on mom’s nipple and baby’s mouth to help treat thrush
  71. Many use it as an anti-aging facial moisturizer
  72. Can be used internally and externally to speed recovery from UTIs
  73. When taken regularly, it can help fight candida
  74. When taken regularly, it can boost hormone production
  75. Can relieve the pain of hemorrhoids when used topically
  76. Can boost circulation and help those who often feel cold
  77. On cuticles to help nails grow
  78. Rub into elbows daily to help alleviate dry, flaky elbows
  79. Add to smoothies to give them a nutritional boost
  80. Internally during pregnancy to help provide baby necessary fats for development (especially when taken with Fermented Cod Liver Oil)
  81. In any recipes where vegetable oils are used
  82. Whipped with Shea butter for a soothing body balm
  83. Naturally clears up cold sores
  84. Ingesting daily can help with allergy symptoms
  85. Ingesting daily can increase mental alertness

Thanks, but I can tell you which ones don't work, for me anyway.

85, 83, 77, 71, 56, 54, 53, 48, 45, 38, 35, 23, 25, 7, 10, 11.

What does it do to your arteries though? I know some claim that saturated fat clogging arteries is a myth, and I know coconut oil is made of of mct's so it's metabolized differently, but I think I'll stick to using it as a moisturizer only. I have used it on my feet and it didn't help with my fungal infection, nor has it helped with psoriasis. Darn, it would be a whole lot cheaper if it worked on many of the points listed.

Thanks for taking the time to post these.

Edited by greytpups

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest Lygracilux

Everyone's body is different, some work well on certain people, some don't visa versa.

I swear by it when it comes to those nasty yeast infections but my friend tried it and didn't see any results. While when I do it, its almost immediate relief. So strange haha.

Despite being high in saturated fat, coconut oil is super healthy for your heart and brain. With medium-chain fatty triglycerides in coconut oil the process is different than most high saturated fats. They are quickly digested, so pancreatic enzymes are not needed. By the time they enter the intestinal tract they are completely broken down into fatty acids. Because of this, they are absorbed immediately into the portal vein, and sent directly to the liver. In the liver they are used as a source of fuel to produce energy. Therefore, they bypass the lipo-protein stage, and they don't circulate in the bloodstream to the degree that other fats do. Consequently, they do not supply the fat that collects in fat cells or the fat that collects in artery walls. They produce energy not body fat and not arterial plaque.

I use it regularly as a lotion. Every day. I love it! It works for me when it comes to athlete's foot. I also eat it just plain. I try for a tablespoon or two a day, but I forget so I can't comment on the effectiveness there. I have also used it as a conditioner in my hair. My greyhound and one cat love it. They will try and lick it off of me after I shower.

Agree that coconut oil is a nice skin moisturizer, and has a higher cooking smoke point; however, the American Heart Association recommends reducing ingestion of saturated fats, which includes coconut oil (considered a tropical oil).

Below is quoted from American Heart Association's site:

Tropical Oils

Updated: Mar 18, 2014

AHA Recommendation

We advise people to reduce the amount of saturated fat in their diet and limit saturated fat consumption to less than 7 percent of total daily calories. One way to do this is to limit your consumption of foods containing tropical oils. A diet high in saturated fat tends to raise blood cholesterol levels, increasing the risk of heart disease.

What are "tropical oils"?

This term refers to coconut, palm kernel and palm oils. Like all fats and oils, these three oils contain various types of fatty acids. But unlike other plant oils, they contain a lot of saturated fatty acids. Coconut oil contains 92 percent, palm kernel oil has 82 percent and palm oil has 50 percent.

These oils are found mostly in commercial cakes, cookies and salty "snack foods," and need to be eaten in moderation.

Many questions remain about how various fatty acids affect blood fat (lipid) levels and the formation of blood clots. The American Heart Association's "Face The Fats" educational program has the information you need to make healthy fat choices, including:

• Which fats you should limit or avoid.
  • Which are better for you than others.
  • Which foods contain which types of fat.
  • How many calories – and how much fat – you should eat each day.
  • If foods labeled "trans fat-free" are always healthy."
----
"What's my daily limit for foods with saturated fats?
The American Heart Association recommends aiming for a dietary pattern that achieves 5% to 6% of calories from saturated fat. That means, for example, if you need about 2,000 calories a day, no more than 120 of them should come from saturated fats. That’s about 13 grams of saturated fats a day.

What are alternatives to replace saturated fats in the foods I eat?
To get the nutrients you need, eat a dietary pattern that emphasizes:
Choose lean meats and poultry without skin and prepare them without added saturated and trans fat.

You should replace foods high in saturated fats with foods high in monounsaturated and/or polyunsaturated fats. This means eating foods made with liquid vegetable oil but not tropical oils. It also means eating fish and nuts. You also might try to replace some of the meat you eat with beans or legumes."
End quote.
Source: American Heart Association

• 2 weeks later...

I use a small amount to brush Elliott and Lea's teeth. It has antibacterial properties, and since they love the way it tastes, they let me brush longer. It is great to cook with and doesn't impart a strong flavor to foods. I collect vintage cast iron and use coconut oil to season them - if treated well, cast iron is better than any nonstick pan.

Theresa (Tess)

Mom to Elliott (Sol Flasher) and Lea (PTL Lea)