Howdy Do

Guest agadoresmama

Guest agadoresmama

My name is Donna and my pup is Agadore......we are from southern Illinois......

Agadore has been having problems for about 7 months and this past week we finally found out it is his back....he has 2 fused discs and one partial rupture. He got a depomedrol shot and was supposed to start taking gabapentin...but after one pill the vet said to hold off on it due to his extreme ataxia. So now he's taking tramadol 50mg 3 times a day to compliment the steroid shot. Agadore is almost 11 and has been on raw since he was 3. thanks in advance for any info from people here....

Guest Scouts_mom

Have you looked into acupuncture as an addition to the drug therapy? It is relatively inexpensive and worked wonders on my Tia when she had spine problems.

Guest agadoresmama

HI! Yes we have done acupuncture....including acupuncture with B12 injection..... we've done acupuncture...cold laser therapy...supplements....and massage. Up to now, part of the problem is our vet couldn't decide if it was hips, knees, or spine. so we treated all three ...... this all started on Feb 26th at a Mardi Gras parade in St Louis....Agadore( he got his name from the movie THE BIRDCAGE) stooped to poo and collapsed...back end went out and he couldn't walk at all. From that point on, his back end has been wobbly and continues to collapse..... got referred to an ortho vet and within 5 minutes of watching Agadore move about, he knew exactly what the problem was. We did an MRI to narrow it down to the exact vertebrae and that's pretty much where we are now....he took one gabapentin pill and he was totally doped and unable to stand....... so the vet said to stop that pill and we are just waiting now to see how much the depomedrol shot helps. I can def tell a difference....but I wouldn't say it was cause for celebration..... gonna go back on Monday and rehash our options......really hoping to find some relief...aside from his back Agadore is healthy as a horse........

Welcome from CT. I hope the depo will help your boy, but another suggestion would be to ask your vet about Adequan injections. They helped my LS boy for quite a long time. Good luck!!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. Annie Oooh M. 

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest sireltonsmom

Also look at the posting here today named "swimsuit......" It's not a cure but may save him from splayed legs injury. Good luck. It's always hard to see our beloved kids in pain.

Hi from Central Illinois to Donna and welcome to you and Agadore!

Agadore sounds like a fantastic old man and he is so blessed to have such a wonderful home! I don't have any advice, but It sounds like you are in good hands with your vets. I hope they find the right combination to help him! It is so hard to see them get older and have a hard time moving around.

Welcome!

I wonder if starting Gabapentin at a very low dose and working up would help. That was recommended for my old whippet and seemed to work pretty well. My understanding is that there is another drug whose name escapes me right now - starts with an "a" that can be used instead of or in addition to Gabapentin, might be worth seeing if that rings a bell with your vet.

Guest AimeeBee

Welcome to Greytalk! I love the name! Reminds me of Agador Spartacus from the movie, "The Birdcage"!

That was the first thing I thought of :lol

:welcome

Perhaps more people would see this if it was over in H&M...

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos).   Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKMwinter.jpg