Potty Every 15-30 Minutes

Guest Mordechai

Guest Mordechai

Hi all! Today's our first day with Mordechai! Intro: http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/308587-hello-from-florida-with-adoption-process/

We were planning to take him out every hour (and reward him with treats when he goes) but he seems to not be eliminating all of his pee when he does go and has no interest in eating treats. So in order to prevent him from peeing inside, we were taking him out whenever he lifted a leg or looked like he was pacing for a pee, which was every 15-30 minutes. Now, he waits at the door when he's bored it seems. We'll take him out and he'll tinkle but not eliminate his entire bladder. We hang outside in the shade for no more than 5-10 minutes bc it's so warm outside. Enough time for him to look bored. How do I get to waiting an hour in between potty breaks when I know he'll potty each time he waits at the door?

Other than that, he's so sweet. We had about five minutes of playtime and I can't wait for him to feel at home enough to be himself.

Thanks all! :)

I personally find it much more useful to do a potty walk, especially in the beginning. That way there are lot of smells and sights, and they will pee multiple times. If I just take my guy into the yard he will go once (if I am lucky!), whereas on a walk he will probably pee 2 or 3 times as much. It seems like more work, but it actually cuts down on the frequency he has to go potty. Walking and travelling somewhere, even if for 5 or 10 minutes should help to empty out the bladder. Also, if he goes for some short walks, he shouldn't be so restless and at the door all the time. Good luck, it sounds like your new guy is settling in well! :)

Edited by RedHead

Guest Mordechai

I personally find it much more useful to do a potty walk, especially in the beginning. That way there are lot of smells and sights, and they will pee multiple times. If I just take my guy into the yard he will go once (if I am lucky!), whereas on a walk he will probably pee 2 or 3 times as much. It seems like more work, but it actually cuts down on the frequency he has to go potty. Walking and travelling somewhere, even if for 5 or 10 minutes should help to empty out the bladder. Also, if he goes for some short walks, he shouldn't be so restless and at the door all the time. Good luck, it sounds like your new guy is settling in well! :)

I know what you mean, but we only leash walk :) we don't have a yard. So I don't know if I'm helping him hold his bladder longer by waiting an hour, or if I'm making him miserable as he stares at the door for twenty minutes :(

He's nervous. Keep him leashed to you, and wait the hour. Restlessness is normal. Panting is normal. Gas is normal (and very likely!)

Do a good walk in an hour.

Boy dogs mark in new places, inside and out. He's not eliminating all his pee so he is able to pee on every new thing he sees! Male greyhounds seem to have a bottomless tank.

Guest Houston1219

He's not eliminating all his pee so he is able to pee on every new thing he sees! Male greyhounds seem to have a bottomless tank.

Amen to that! On top of being my first greyhound, Houston is the first male dog I have ever owned.luckily he never marked in our house, but he truly seems to have a bottomless bladder! He must mark 20 trees on a half mile walk. It's like a miracle of nature :rotfl:

But when he has to really go, he gets down to business. Sometimes I imagine his legs get tired from squatting so long! lol in his case, a squat pee is a serious pee, and a leg lift is just for fun.

Good luck with your newest family member!

Edited by Houston1219

Guest Mordechai

He's nervous. Keep him leashed to you, and wait the hour. Restlessness is normal. Panting is normal. Gas is normal (and very likely!)

Do a good walk in an hour.

Boy dogs mark in new places, inside and out. He's not eliminating all his pee so he is able to pee on every new thing he sees! Male greyhounds seem to have a bottomless tank.

Thank you thank you, having feedback helps me know what I'm doing is right :)

Amen to that! On top of being my first greyhound, Houston is the first male dog I have ever owned.luckily he never marked in our house, but he truly seems to have a bottomless bladder! He must mark 20 trees on a half mile walk. It's like a miracle of nature :rotfl:

But when he has to really go, he gets down to business. Sometimes I imagine his legs get tired from squatting so long! lol in his case, a squat pee is a serious pee, and a leg lift is just for fun.

Good luck with your newest family member!

That helps, thank you so much!

Oh, gosh, first day! Don't worry over getting to an hour. Right now he doesn't know what to do with himself. Taking him out when he looks like he might have to pee is exactly the right thing to do. As he settles in over the next several days, he'll help you get that time longer. It will help to take him for a 15-20 minute walk when it's cool enough, but when it's hot? You're doing it right :) .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Lillypad

Batmon always has the best advice. When I reflect on my "newbie" days my girl did the same thing. Anyone watching her would swear she was a boy, always lifting her leg to mark spots. She wanted to go out so often, I thought for sure she was planning an escape back to the racing kennels and who knows maybe she was. IMO, I believe he is just trying to find his way in his new home, new neigbourhood and new family. I think he will settle in due course. CONGATULATIONS!!!!, you may not believe it, put these are exciting times for you both, memory making monents you will look back on fondly, just as I am doing now..... hummm, maybe I need to add a new greyhound to the family.....

Guest Houston1219

I agree, batmom does always have the best advice :) I was a frantic new GH mom with a too-skinny hound having every medial test known to man run. Did I think of the possibility that his new food was lower calorie per cup than his former brand? NO! Hundreds of dollars later, I was kicking myself for not going with her suggestion of relax and increase his kibble. Btw, thanks again Batmom!

P.s. Houston has gained 7 pounds and looks better than ever :)

Edited by Houston1219

Guest Mordechai

Aw thanks all! I feel so much better and he's gone from pacing and staring at the door to laying at my feet <3 however, he hasn't eaten dinner. I've managed to give him treats when he's been good and he nibbled at some of his kibble in his kong (which I gave to him to give him something to do), but still hasn't had enough to eat and is disinterested in his dish, even after I warmed it. Is that normal? I'd hate to bother my contact at the adoption agency with normal things...

Yeah, normal for him to be not interested in eating much for a day or three. So many new things to see and figure out! As long as he doesn't act ill (vomiting, for example), he should be fine.

But, don't hesitate to talk to your group if you have questions and stuff. Most groups like to help you get oriented and settled with your new pup. :)

Always happy to see pups doing well and little worries getting resolved, no matter whose advice/experience came into play. :) :) :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Mordechai

Yeah, normal for him to be not interested in eating much for a day or three. So many new things to see and figure out! As long as he doesn't act ill (vomiting, for example), he should be fine.

But, don't hesitate to talk to your group if you have questions and stuff. Most groups like to help you get oriented and settled with your new pup. :)

Always happy to see pups doing well and little worries getting resolved, no matter whose advice/experience came into play. :) :) :)

Thanks Batmom :) maybe he'll be interested in breakfast tomorrow. Thank you all!

My male dog seems to have figured out our daily schedule. He will only fully empty by the side of the house if it's last turnout, he's been holding it a long time, or if he sees we're going out. I think he can tell. I put on makeup, we put on shoes, turn on radio barricade kitchen and get a treat out.

Every other time, we only get a "courtesy squirt" because he wants to be ready for walks at any moment.

He will pee multiple times on a walk.

Don't fret, he'll get used to your schedule and settle in. Did your rescue give you a belly band? It's a fabric strip with velcro that you wrap around him, being sure to cover his bits. If he tries to mark, it should spare your wall in the time it'd take to correct him, (Uh Uh!) snap on a leash and take him outside.

That might make the both of you a little less anxious until everyone gets acclimated.

Sounds like it's all normal. Our most recent newbie pee'd about that often his first day, had very loose stools for a couple of days, exceptional gas, got me up three times the first night and wouldn't eat till day four. He now has an iron bladder, sleeps all night without moving position, eats like a horse and loves life. It's a special time those first few days. Try to treasure them and get a few photos between the worry.

Guest Mordechai

Sounds like it's all normal. Our most recent newbie pee'd about that often his first day, had very loose stools for a couple of days, exceptional gas, got me up three times the first night and wouldn't eat till day four. He now has an iron bladder, sleeps all night without moving position, eats like a horse and loves life. It's a special time those first few days. Try to treasure them and get a few photos between the worry.

Oh my! Okay, this gives me hope. He woke us up three times in the night as well, and no interest in breakfast. But he had a nice long walk while it was still cool, played, and is sleeping again. He seems good, I just want him to feel at home :)

Playing and sleeping are great. Betting he'll get interested in a meal tomorrow if not today. He sounds like a very good boy.

Guest chickenpotpie

It just takes time, It took Lucky about 1-2 weeks settle down, I took her out every time she looked like she wanted to go potty. It was also during this time when I started teaching her commands, using kibble as treats.

But her gas in those first 2 weeks WHEW!!!

Aw thanks all! I feel so much better and he's gone from pacing and staring at the door to laying at my feet <3 however, he hasn't eaten dinner. I've managed to give him treats when he's been good and he nibbled at some of his kibble in his kong (which I gave to him to give him something to do), but still hasn't had enough to eat and is disinterested in his dish, even after I warmed it. Is that normal? I'd hate to bother my contact at the adoption agency with normal things...

The not eating right now is normal, too. He's just confused. He'll pace, pant, whine, drink a lot, wander around, lay down, get up, follow you, avoid you, want to go out, want to come in. Just pay attention and do your best to do normal stuff. Honestly - he won't starve if he doesn't eat for a couple days. It's ok.

I'll bet within a couple days he'll be a LOT more comfortable. He's just totally confused right now. Don't sweat the small stuff. Quirky behaviors today do NOT mean those behaviors will continue. Good luck! Don't stress - just enjoy the ride.