New Mom Need Help: Hound Very Gassy And Loosing Weight

Guest Wasabi303

Guest Sportingfields

Congrats on your adorable sweetie. Most won't agree with me but when I've had a problem with eating/weight/stool with my former greys or fosters, I went back to basics..... find out what they were eating at the track kennel..... The majority of designer dog food is advertised as being the best & priciest but it is way to rich for their systems. In years past tracks feed Purina, raw ground beef & veggies( with added vitamins as per that trainers inclination). Once you get her system back to an even keel, then slowly switch her over to whatever you want to feed.

After trying about every brand on the market over 17 years, I've had the best luck with Eukanuba small bites with 1/4 of canned purina ground meat added to their 2 meals. Practically no gas,( which is a huge bennie when they clear out a room in one second LOL) and they held their weight well once I figured out quantity for each dog. One might thrive on 3 1/2 cups and another might need 5. Eyeballing my greys weight if I can't see hip bone pointers and there is a nice even layer of fat over all their ribs and still maintain their tummy tuck, then they are at a good weight. You can usually achieve this around 5# over racing weight, keeping in mind that this is a 10% increase but muscle weighs more and as they lose it in retirement, there will be a shift in definition & weight.

Puddin' poos & gas are a concern. I agree, deworm once or twice. Also, look at where she is eating. Does she have a quiet spot where she can eat in peace? or there activity or competion from another dog so she has to inhale her food? if she's inhaling or stressed when eating, this can cause gas & soft stools.

My old vet had a sure fire remedy for gurgly tummies, although I've found a couple of vet that have never heard of it. It is called Endosorb and is amazing. 3 tabs a couple times a day settles the gurgles, absorbs the yellow bile & firms up puddin poo better than anything I've ever found or has been suggested on this thread. It even works to firm stools that become soft on a road trip from different water (purchasing bottled water when away from home is the easy fix for this or take from home) At one time you could order this from Fosters & Smiths if your vet doesn't have it.

It won't hurt if you do a bland diet but please do not give her cooked ground beef. I've been told that cooking beef breaks down the fats in such a way that it is hard for them to digest, think pancreatitis, adding to the problem you are trying to solve. Raw beef & bow tie pasta cooked with low salt chicken broth is my go to bland diet. Cooked chicken is fine as that doesn't have the fat content that beef does.

Edited by Sportingfields

Guest Wasabi303

Do you know if her sire was Craigie Whistler? She reminds me a lot of another little brindle on GT.

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/296259-piper-turns-five/

She does look pretty similar to that hound. My girl is out of Bart something, her racing name was Bart's Looper.

Thanks again for all the advice, Wasabi is doing well now, and better yet, my housemates can stop griping about the stinky dog!

Guest beetle_slayer

Many greys don't do well on lamb

I second that!

Try some baked ground turkey. Its cheap. I buy the 85/15 and mix other stuff in but its mostly meat (4lbs for $5). I bake it for 30-40 mins and spoon off the fat (really gross). I mix a bit in their food and the gas has just about disappeared and solid poop. I have battled this with him for 3 years. His coat is smooth, less dander. I still feed him his GF chicken kibble so he gets all his vitamins/mineral/other healthy junk.

I think he looks good but would like to see him filled out just a touch more. 2-3lbs.

Wasabi is beautiful....I love her ears! I think she looks fine, but maybe a couple more pounds wouldn't hurt.

I don't have much food advice, since after reading this I've realized I break a lot of feeding rules. :omg One thing that I'm going to try for my Lola

is Olewo Carrots for dogs. I read about this on Greytalk recently and looked it up. Looks like a great product from the reviews.

Might be worth a try. Lola's digestive system is ok, but I'd be up for making her poops a little firmer and the other benefits.

Good luck with Wasabi!!

2rqyqhd.jpg

Guest Wasabi303

One thing that I'm going to try for my Lola

is Olewo Carrots for dogs.

So I read this and then was slightly tipsy online shopping last night.... and well they are in the mail. Hopefully they help!

:flip

We take it one day at a time here-anywhere. I struggled to find the right food for my boy. They are not all the same. My girl has an iron gut but picky picky. I hope the OP has found helpful answers. When we were new parents we were handed a bag and said, "here; this is what she has been on." It was wellness and she did great until a formula change and the gassiness almost killed us. We found Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul and she loved it. She always had good firm formed poop--museum quality!

In my VERY limited experience, it seems as the girls have better digestive systems than the boys.

Chicken soup food has been great for my 2 greys. Chicken and rice on top is also very good. We buy roasted chickens from costco and then I make a big batch of long grain rice once a week. All this together is working great.

5621ebf0-6541-442b-a53f-100a3975572f_zps

Guest chickenpotpie

I agree, she looks fantastic. A couple of pounds on her wouldn't hurt but she wouldn't need more than that.

Lucky nearly killed us with her gas the first 2 weeks. I used to wake up ANGRY because her gas was waking me up out of seriously deep sleep! :hehe

Once she was wormed (and rewormed) and that wasn't the issue, I really simplified her diet, less kibble, more raw. even though she does well on IAMS, she can still get to the point of pudding poops on too much of it.

These days the only time she gets bad gas is when she gets overly anxious, and this summer she's been that way a lot because of all the storms. I've been supplementing with a tablespoon of very smelly green tripe in a can. I'm not sure why it quiets the tummy right down but boy does it, and to be honest, I'd rather smell the tripe than her farts!

Guest Wasabi303

Update: Olewo's Carrots for Dogs are MAGIC. Seriously, within two meals Sabi went from puddle poos to perfect poops. She farts very rarely and they don't smell nearly as bad. She is regular (tho at first she pooed a ton) and I couldn't be more relieved. Well worth the 12ish dollars for a 1lb bag on amazon.