Can I Get Some Advice On Controlling Fleas? Rop

Can I get some advice on controlling fleas? I feel like we've been battling them forever and we've tried nearly everything. About a year ago, we switched to Trifexis (after using heartgard + frontline plus). that helped a little bit, but we've still had a lot of issues. so about 2 weeks ago I switched to heartgard + nexgard, hoping it would be better. Ever since then we've had a massive flea outbreak. There was no lapse in treatment, he's constantly been on something to help with fleas. I'm constantly vacuuming, washing bedding, toys, etc. I've been giving him baths and I can see the fleas on him! It's at the point now where I'm even being bitten! (I have 10+ bites on my ankles!). The vet has told me to give him benadryl to help with the itching, but it isn't. He's biting himself so much that he's going raw in some places. I feel so bad, but I don't know what else to do at this point. We are going to treat our yard soon (any advice on what to use for this?). What else would you suggest? I don't want him nor I to suffer anymore. Are there any other products I can try? Anything else I should do? I'm willing to do/try anything. Thanks!

Capstar should treat the current infestation. Then if fleas are really bad in your area, you might want to look into a product like K9 Advantix, which is the only topical that kills and repels.

You may also consider the possibility that your boy has a flea allergy. With an allergy, it only takes a couple fleas to cause major skin problems. If Benedryl isn't working, your vet will need to prescribe a different antihistamine (and possibly a steroid).

Capstar should treat the current infestation. Then if fleas are really bad in your area, you might want to look into a product like K9 Advantix, which is the only topical that kills and repels.

You may also consider the possibility that your boy has a flea allergy. With an allergy, it only takes a couple fleas to cause major skin problems. If Benedryl isn't working, your vet will need to prescribe a different antihistamine (and possibly a steroid).

Thanks for the info! I'll talk to my vet about a stronger anti-itch medicine, I think he might need it until we get a better handle on the fleas. Is there a topical ointment I should ask for as well, for the areas that he's biting raw? Do you think a topical like K9 advantix would work better than trifexis or nexgard? That's the only one I haven't tried yet and I hear a lot of good things about it. I obviously couldn't give him both medications and I have to say I'm a little hesitant of the topical meds, since Frontline Plus did absolutely nothing.

Also, can you tell me a more about Capstar? Would I get this from the vet office? And can he have it on top of his current flea medication or would this replace it? Thank you!

The licking/biting is a vicious cycle. He may be making the problem worse, drying out the skin, and/or causing secondary bacterial infections. I imagine the vet will want you to use an antibiotic/cortisone ointment for the raw areas. If that's the case, I'd probably also use a muzzle with a stool guard (or even the dreaded e-collar) to stop him from licking the ointment off.

As for flea and tick preventatives, I've had experience with Frontline Plus, Advantix, and Nexgard. I don't know if any of them are "better" than the others, suffice to say that Frontline has reportedly lost its effectiveness with certain dogs in recent years. And Nexgard is a brand new product, so it's hard to say how it stacks up to the others. But in your scenario, I do think Advantix could be more appropriate due to its "repel" factor. Most flea topicals will kill fleas within 24-48 hours, which is fine for most dogs. But if you're dealing with flea allergies or flea dermatitis, that's plenty of time for a few fleas to sneak through and cause an allergic reaction.

Also, can you tell me a more about Capstar? Would I get this from the vet office? And can he have it on top of his current flea medication or would this replace it? Thank you!

Capstar is a prescription pill that immediately treats flea infestation. Within 30 minutes of administering, the fleas will start dying and falling off. Ask your vet, but I believe it's fine to use in combination with other preventatives. Capstar is used to treat infestation in the short-term, so the active ingredients only really "work" for 24 hours. You'd also need to use a preventative, like Advantix, for ongoing prevention. Hope this helps!

Honestly, if you were still having a flea problem with your dog getting Trifexis every month, I doubt K9Advantix would work any better. I've found Trifexis/Comfortis to be a lot more effective at killing fleas than any of the topical products. It sounds more like the problem is coming from the environment, not the product you're using on your dog. Since consistent flea control on your dog has not broken the cycle, there is an outside source that is continuing the flea problem.

Are there any other pets in the home (such as cats)? And are all pets on flea control? Are there any cats in the area outdoors? Wildlife such as rabbits and squirrels can also be a persistent source of fleas in the yard. You may need to just treat the yard and the house on a regular basis to keep things under control, and with this severe of a problem, hiring a professional exterminator, would be more effective than trying to do it on your own. Best of luck. A severe flea infestation can be a nightmare to get under control, but it's doable.

Edited by JJNg

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest greyhound_in_LA

I bought Capstar at Petco, no prescription needed. It comes in two sizes, and it works very quickly. I have to warn you if you use Capstar: if your dog has a very big infestation on his body, Capstar makes the adult fleas go nuts biting as they are dying off, so your dog will start to feel that and go nuts, too (I mean pacing, walking, running, biting and licking at spots all over his body where he feels those bites). It does subside, then it's relief.

You can re-use another Capstar the next day. It only lasts 24 hours, and it kills only adult fleas. It's not a good preventative for the whole flea cycle. You need to kill the eggs, larvae, pupae in the carpet and bedding. It's a nonstop washing machine/dryer routine for a few days after you give Capstar or better, Comfortis, for example. Carpet is THE worst. You can wash dog covers, blankets, etc. but for carpet, oh the joy. If you have a serious infestation, a professional cleaner for carpet may be needed.

Trifexis has been responsible for many deaths http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/owners-blame-700-dog-deaths-trifexis/nb5B4/ brit

Can I get some advice on controlling fleas? I feel like we've been battling them forever and we've tried nearly everything. About a year ago, we switched to Trifexis (after using heartgard + frontline plus). that helped a little bit, but we've still had a lot of issues. so about 2 weeks ago I switched to heartgard + nexgard, hoping it would be better. Ever since then we've had a massive flea outbreak. There was no lapse in treatment, he's constantly been on something to help with fleas. I'm constantly vacuuming, washing bedding, toys, etc. I've been giving him baths and I can see the fleas on him! It's at the point now where I'm even being bitten! (I have 10+ bites on my ankles!). The vet has told me to give him benadryl to help with the itching, but it isn't. He's biting himself so much that he's going raw in some places. I feel so bad, but I don't know what else to do at this point. We are going to treat our yard soon (any advice on what to use for this?). What else would you suggest? I don't want him nor I to suffer anymore. Are there any other products I can try? Anything else I should do? I'm willing to do/try anything. Thanks!

None of the alleged deaths were confirmed - just unsubstantiated claims exploited in sensationalist articles by a single news station.

This has been discussed several times before. Here's a previous thread with links to a couple others:

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/305160-trifexis-not-safe-news/

And a good article with a vet's take on the whole situation:

http://avetsguidetolife.blogspot.gr/2014/07/trifexis-safety-concerns-poor-reporting.html

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg