Sign in to follow this  
Guest Celestrina

What Is Considered Senior?

I always thought it was 9 and above, but I am no expert! I think that our greys may be considered seniors at a younger age because they are larger dogs with potentially shorter lifespans.

My guy did not pass until around14 but I thought I really noticed the aging effects around 10.

I thought it was nine and above also.

gallery_22163_3545_11448.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls Beka (BM Beko) and Ivy (Carolina Spoon)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) - you are forever in our hearts.

I think large dogs are considered seniors at 7 or 8, but personally I don't count them as seniors until they turn 10. That's when I really start to notice a change.

Guest Lillypad

LOL, lets all agree it is 10. I like that number best. My girl is middle aged I guess at 5. Sad that they have such a short time with them.

The veteran greyhound classes at the fun dog shows are usually 7+ so I expect that as senior though agree that 7-8 isn't particularly old.

Guest june

My vet has a chart in the waiting area. It lists dog weights, physical ages and how old they really are. Rona is 10 and I was shocked to see what they gauged her age as.....so shocked I cannot remember what it was! I do remember it made me teary-eyed.

No, they are not with us long enough! :beatheart

In agility, dogs are eligible for the "veteran" class at 7.

Summit turned 9 in May and I have started to notice him slowing down this summer a little. :(

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Well, IMHO, in light of the fact that the female I adopted in 2012 at age 12-1/2+ lived to 14-1/2+ (I lost her in April 2014) ... to me, senior and old-timer is approx. 12+. (not to say they didn't slow down to some extent.)

Of the five hounds I have adopted - I lost them at the following age:

(1) 12-1/4;

(2) 12-3/4;

(3) almost 11 (special case here - racer and Texas blood bank donor resident - he had a seriously screwed up back when I adopted him at age 9. Sadly, the perils associated with spending your life in a crate.) :cry1

(4) almost 13-1/2;

(5) 14-1/2+;

(6) currently I have a goofy collie-basset mix who will be 14 in October (adopted at age 11-1/2+).

While a greyhound's exquisite and achingly beautiful face may start to gray at 6 or 7 -- I never considered my hounds truly "senior" until the double digit years. Geez, just because MY hair started to turn gray in my 30s didn't make me a "senior" or eligible for AARP membership! :lol:

Perhaps it's a matter of perspective, but to me seven is still quite young! :yay

Edited by IndyandHollyluv

Seven does seem yound, although some adoption groups call a seven year old as a "senior" in the sense that they are adopted at a reduced rate. I think 9 is the "senior" age

Greyhounds do seem to have greater longevity compared to other large breeds I've been blessed. Of the four hounds I've lost, one was 12 1/2, two were 13 and one was 14.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

For what purpose?

"Senior" food is mostly a marketing trick; usually has lower fat, lower protein, lower calories and should NOT be fed unless a dog has a specific medical condition requiring those things.

A "senior panel" at the vet's is usually a slightly stripped down version of a total chemistry panel. It targets some values (such as kidney values) that bear checking now and then as a dog ages.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

My Drake turns 9 next month. He is still spry and spunky and does not act like a senior at all. However, I understand our vet's reasoning for additional labs before dentals.

Drake - Fortified Power x Cajun Oriel

Janney - Ronco x Sol Happy

Waiting at the bridge: Sirocco - (Reko Sirocco) - Trojan Episode x Reko Princess; Nikki - (MPS Sharai) - Devilish Episode x MPS Daisy Queen;
Yukon - (Yak Back) - Epic Prince x Barts Cinnamon

Guest Celestrina

Our vet considers 7 a senior and wants to see her more frequently. We will not be changing her food; she has mild IBD and finally found one that works.

I've always considered senior at age 8. I lost my greyhounds at (1) Tipper - 8 1/2, (2) Susie - 15 adopted at 14, (3) Ladybug - 3 cancer of the bone marrow.

My current greyhounds (1) Richy is almost 12 (2) Tucker 9 1/2 (3) Dancing Bug 9 - littermate of Ladybug (4) Darren almost 9 (5) Diandra almost 7 - she is special needs

BUDDY, DEE, PRINCESS
ANGELS: SUSIE (BANDIT SUE) 3/26/1991-5/13/2006, TIPPER (MPS KRISTINA) 7/23/1999-2/4/2008, LADYBUG (BB'S LADYBUG) 5/19/2005-7/9/2008,

HAPPY 12/2000-10/9/2013, RICHY (DON L RICHY RICH) 11/5/2002-5/17/2015, DARREN 9/24/2005-3/2/2017, TUCKER (AWESOME ABILITY) 12/29/2004-12/4/2017,

BUG (BB'S DANCING BUG) 5/19/2005-11/17/2018

Our vet considers 7 a senior and wants to see her more frequently.

How frequently does your vet want to see her? I have never had a vet ask to see an otherwise healthy dog more frequently at only 7 years of age. I do see benefits of doing yearly bloodwork to check up on things, but I really wouldn't consider 7 senior for a greyhound.

I just bought the book Younger Next Year for Women. Live strong, fit and sexy until you're 80 and beyond. Ivy and I are both seniors and I'm sure if we both follow the fitness regime we will live forever!!! Seriously though, ivy is 9 and the vet now considers her a senior. I find her slowing down in our walks especially when it's warm. Her recovery time is no where near what it used to be.

Guest Doggone

One of the local greyhound groups offers a reduced rate for adopting a "senior" anytime after age 8. :)

In AKC and ASFA lure coursing Greyhounds are eligible for the veteran stake at age 6 (age determined by the breed club and varies by breed). Popular opinion tends to place seniors in large breeds at 7-8. I don't really consider my personal hound seniors until they start acting like it. ;) Lucius is just now starting to act like one at 10.5.