Anyone Use Coconut Oil For Doggie Dry Skin?

Guest carriej

Guest carriej

Heading to get some coconut oil in hopes it can help Chance's dry skin which is so dry that it's causing him to scratch/bite and irritate his skin. He's also losing some hair in the places he scratches most.

He is on fish based food and gets sardines daily, but it doesn't seem to be helping. Someone told me coconut oil was magic.. So I'm out to find some, and see if the local PetValu has any kind of skin supplement.

Yes, Sweep gets somewhere between a teaspoon and a tablespoon daily, and no dandruff here. Have you tried Missing Link? The formula I linked to is vegetarian so shouldn't cause any issues if your guy has food sensitivities.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

We used it every day for awhile and I think it helped. We still use it occasionally. Jake loves the taste too! When his dandruff was the worst we actually put olive oil in a sprayer and put it all over his coat. Messy, but I think it helped while we were waiting for the internal stuff to kick in.

jakesigsmall_zps254e191c.jpg

Photographer in Phoenix, AZ www.northmountainphoto.com

Guest normaandburrell

I use skin so soft on my grey's skin. it is recommended by our adoption group, it is not as messy as olive oil, and it helps repel bugs as well!

I've used it for quite a while now. Works better for my dogs than fish oil did. Be sure your get unrefined virgin coconut oil - not the refined stuff.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest chickenpotpie

she gets coconut oil in the morning, fish oil in the evening (if you go that route be sure not to give too much!) All said she gets the equivalent of a tablespoon of good oils.

Both my guys got a tablespoon of coconut oil on their bedtime kibble.* They licked their dishes clean, then swapped dishes and licked some more.

*The boy's coat is a little dry. The girl's coat is terrific--despite three baths in four weeks for therapy visits--but the coconut oil will be a preventative.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Frostie has been getting Missing Link the one posted above and coconut oil in his food for the past week. We haven't seen results yet, but I did expect to yet. I looked like an idiot at the vet office because what I thought was flea poop was really dry skin. Frostie is a light fawn but with dark skin. The vet told me that if that was flea poop we would have know it. The dog, cats and us would be miserable. Im hoping the missing link and coconut oil help.