Going Out With Other People

Guest BiggiesOwner

Guest BiggiesOwner

Looking to get some good tips on how to get Biggie to "happily" leave the house for walks with my parents. Biggie and I stay with my parents 2-3 days a week a few times a month and I have a longer work trip coming up where I would like to leave him with my parents (better a place he is kind of familiar with than a kennel).

After lots of adjustment pains - Biggie and my parents (especially my Dad) have become more comfortable with each other. Once he gets outside with them - he has a lovely walk. The problem is actually GETTING him outside. If I'm not home Biggie refuses to leave his bed to go on a walk with any of my family members. he will leave the bed for treats in any other part of the house - but the second it is around his normal walk time he shuts down. He stared for an hour at a line of hot dog/tuna fish chunks (that he normally goes nuts for) from his bed to the front door - refusing to even sniff them or move his head! Trying to put the leash on when when he is in his bed is not an option - he is still pretty protective of his space when he is laying down.

The only times my parents have been able to walk Biggie are if they catch him by the door and put the leash on quickly. Then he is pretty reluctant to leave the house still (statue in the door way) - but once he is bribed/tugged through the door he'll get moving.

Biggie loves walks with my SO and I now - and my parents would love to walk him as well since he is lovely on the leash once he is out of the house. I'd just like it to be able have him go willingly out of the house with them - instead of waiting for me to get home!

I'm a dog walker and some dogs just don't like walking with people that aren't their owners. Do your parents have a yard for potty breaks? If so, have them walk him at varied times and not at his usual times. At his usual walk times, have them just give him a treat on his bed. When he starts getting comfortable with that, put the treat a foot away from him, and then further and further from him. You want him to get rewarded for getting off the bed for awhile and then start adding in the walk every so often. Right now he's associating getting off the bed with walks. Associate it with something else and it will get easier.

This is how a beviourist advised me to deal with this:

1. Have your parents throw lots of little treats on the ground near Biggie.

2. Slowly work the treats and Biggie towards the door over a few days or weeks; whatever you think is necessary.

3. Then have your parents do the same outside your door, throwing the treats on the ground.

Just noticed that this is a lot like Sambuca's suggestions. Food!

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Allen the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09.

Guest normaandburrell

Have you tried all walking together for a while? Leave together and at some point put the leash in your mom or dad's hand. Then progress to all leaving together, but mom or dad starting out with the leash in their hand. Then progress to you seeing them all to the door but you staying behind. Let your parents give him lots of treats during this whole process. I also like Sambuca's suggestions a lot of slowly getting him to not associate getting off the bed with walking.

Archived