Really Bad Gas - Help!

Hi All,

I've read a bunch of forums on this, but wanted to start a discussion about my greyhound Mr. Spock. He has HORRIBLE, room clearing gas and on a regular basis. I adopted him last November and the gas has just been getting worse. When I first got him, he was diagnosed with giardia which he was treated for and "cured". I took him to his vet this past week. She took another stool sample to test again. I've not heard anything in a few days which means it probably came back negative. I will call today to verify. She put him on a probiotic and 10mg Pepsid, 1 / day. I'm feeing him Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin & Stomach kibble and canned food. 2 cups kibble in the morning with a little water mixed in and two cups early evening with 1 tbs canned and a little water mixed in. I give him a couple small pieces of apple in the morning. He's 5 & 1/2 years old, 78 lbs, vet says he looks healthy, temperature normal, etc. I just don't know what to do. I have a can of Lysol next to my bed which I occasionally have to spray during the night because the gas is so bad. It's almost constant....almost.

So.....suggestions? Comments? Help? I think changing his food would be the next step.....I know, very slow transition. Has anyone else run into gas issues with Purina Sensitive Skin & Stomach? Suggestions on new food? His stools: first one is firm and then the second one is soft serve consistency.

Help. As always positive responses are welcomed. I have no time for negativity.

Thanks for listening / reading.

Image removed, not within the GreyTalk signature guidelines of <15 KB file size limit. The image removed was 29.08 KB (29,782 bytes) file size.

I think a change in food might be in order. Brady can't eat any chicken based kibble. When I first adopted him he was eating Purina Pro plan chicken and rice. He never had firm poops on it. I switched to Pro Plan Lamb and Rice and that worked for a while, firmer poops and less gas. Then Purina changed the formula and his poops became soft again.

I now feed him Costco Lamb and Rice (5 yrs) and he's been fine.

One thing to keep in mind is the first poops of the day are harder and can get softer during the day. That is normal for most dogs. I would start with changing the protein source of his kibble.

Debbie

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

Guest Houston1219

We had the same problem!!! I second the suggestion to switch protein source. Chicken or turkey were the worst offenders for gas around here, and lamb never agreed with his tummy (poo disaster!) Venison (more specifically elk in the case of Nutro naturals) or fish have given us no problems whatsoever. Grain free only made the problem worse for us, i suspect because grains are replaced with potatoes which led to poo disaster part two lol. So, we are alternating between Nutro naturals sensitive skin and tummy venison and brown rice or fish and brown rice. Every dog is different and this was just our experience but your smell situation sounds a lot like ours! Best of luck!

Try a different protien source. Now, fish-based, like what you're feeding, didn't work tool well for Peggy when she had a recent bout of IBD and/or ulcers. I thought I was doing the right thing but the protien was way too high. What does seem to work is a Duck and Brown Rice kibble from a UK firm called 'Burns' - that's only got 18.5% protien and the other supposedly hypoallergenic ingredients are more digestible. Iams Green Bag (Poactive) also makes for firm poops but sometimes there will be gas issues, so I don't stay on it more than a couple of months; and that's a shame because it is half the cost of the Duck and Brown rice.

We had the same problem!!! I second the suggestion to switch protein source. Chicken or turkey were the worst offenders for gas around here, and lamb never agreed with his tummy (poo disaster!) Venison (more specifically elk in the case of Nutro naturals) or fish have given us no problems whatsoever. Grain free only made the problem worse for us, i suspect because grains are replaced with potatoes which led to poo disaster part two lol. So, we are alternating between Nutro naturals sensitive skin and tummy venison and brown rice or fish and brown rice. Every dog is different and this was just our experience but your smell situation sounds a lot like ours! Best of luck!

So the Sensitive Skin and Stomach is salmon-based. Don't know what the protein content is.

Image removed, not within the GreyTalk signature guidelines of <15 KB file size limit. The image removed was 29.08 KB (29,782 bytes) file size.

Guest normaandburrell

I use sensitive stomach on my dog and used it on my first one without problems. It is 26% protein, 16% fat and 3% fiber. This is actually a little less fiber than what I have read greyhounds should get (recommendations are for 5% fiber), so I am surprised it would cause gas. Sorry you are having the issue.

Simethicone, a.k.a. GasEx. Check online for the doggie dosage.

It'll get you through the roughest part while you change diet, etc.

And, in the meantime, think of it as justice. How many times does the dog get blamed when it's actually the human? :-)

gallery_27202_3534_9390.jpg

Momma to Jupiter.  Mummy to my Bridge Angels, Mercury and Liberty, the world's best blackngreylabhound

Try the protein source first, but keep in mind that some dogs (ie Cody) can be allergic to RICE!!!

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Guest MnMDogs

I would definitely try a food change, though it can't recommend one since we use a fish based food here. I know some will poo poo this (no pun intended), but we started adding a bit of raw goat's milk to our dogs kibble at night and it seems to have helped - we started during our month of liquid diarrhea that went around our house last summer with no cause identified.

Be careful with the Pepcid, if he doesn't actually need it, it could make things worse by changing the acidity of his stomach... We had an awful experience with that last year in 2 of our hounds. Is his appetite ok? Has he always been on this food?

Guest Houston1219

So the Sensitive Skin and Stomach is salmon-based. Don't know what the protein content is.

Not sure off hand protein content but if you don't want to do fish the venison variety is also sensitive shin and stomach. I just didn't write it again because I was lazy haha

Guest Prairie

My girl was on the same diet as yours when I adopted her. The gas was horrific! It was recommended that I switch her to NutraSource grain-free lamb meal formula. I almost choked when I saw the price, but the food is concentrated and one bag lasts at least a month! ( I'm spending less then I did on the Pro Plan!)

The gas issue is gone and her coat is softer and shinier! It might be worth a try for you.

Thanks everyone for your input. I also have a call into Mr. Spock's vet who is very greyhound friendly. He's in my bedroom with me now and gas just as bad as ever....shseesh.....I love him though :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Mr. Spock just had a dental procedure. He did fine, no extractions. He now has nice white teeth and I plan on keeping them that way. However, his gas (farts) are worse than ever. Last night I had to spray Lysol several times because his farts are ammonia strong, very stinky. I had him checked for giardia, came back negative. As far as food change, my vet recommended Science Diet or Purina One. As I said before he's currently on Purina Sensitive Skin & Stomach. Does anyone have experience with either Science Diet or Purina One? Are they good foods? I've got to resolve this farting or else I'll just have to go out and buy a gas mask for myself, yuck. Thanks for listening.

Might try one of the IAMs foods -- either Adult Minichunks or Adult Lamb & Rice.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

When we adopted Riley he had 'peel the paint off the walls' gas. It made our eyes water. Turns out that he had a wheat allergy. If I was you, I would switch him to a grain free kibble. Also, some vets are notorious for recommending Science Diet because they have a financial interest in selling you food. If all else fails try the GREEN bag of Iams!

gallery_9381_2904_4242.jpg

Molly Weasley Carpenter-Caro - 6 Year Old Standard Poodle.

Gizzy, Specky, Riley Roo & Lady - Our beloved Greyhounds waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.