Top Of The Line Orthopedic Bed Options?

Guest Houston1219

Guest Houston1219

With the recent discovery of the degeneration in Houstons hip cartilage, we have decided to dedicate to being as proactive as possible about this diagnosis. We have already started him on joint supplements and will have xrays taken semi annually to monitor the hip.

We are now looking at our options in orthopedic bedding. We had one from one of the chain stores when we first got Houston but I felt it was not quite firm enough and it sagged and gave out after a year. It was NOT cheap, either! So, my question is this- we are preparing to drop some serious cash on a bed. What should we look for? We want something thick, fairly firm, and with a washable cover(if not, we would have one custom made for it). We have even considered buying a twin sized memory foam mattress such as tempurpedic or similar and cutting it down to size. He does not nest and has only destroyed beds by over using them. We are hoping for it to last many years.

For the right bed, we will pay the price. Houston is our only child and I can't stand to see him uncomfortable. Any advice is appreciated!!!

We have two LL Bean orthopedic beds here for our greys. They have stood up really well over time. I have the beds a couple of years. The bed has a thick block of form type material (firm but not hard) and an egg carton type foam material on top of that. The greys sleep on it all the time, and I personally like it because it stays 'neat' looking :). They seem to like it because they can stretch out to their full lengths and even hang their head over the side a little. You can also put a quilt or something on top for extra plushness.

Edited by greyhoundlady

Guest Houston1219

The LL Bean beds don't seem to sag in the middle? The last one we had (from petsmart, i believe) was $80+ and was great for a while, but it ended up flat in the middle of the Houston-sized imprint it developed.

There is a store near my house called "The Foam Factory" which does custom just about everything foam. They make dog beds, but i find them rather thin. Does anyone have any experience with actual memory foam (people) mattresses? I could buy an actual mattress cut to the size of my choosing, but is it really worth the cost difference from that of a primo orthopedic dog bed? Having the features of a dog bed would be nice (size, washable cover, etc) but i don't want to sacrifice comfort for convenience.

Ours all seem to like the Costco memory foam beds. Would they work?

I have not seen them, as our membership expired a long time ago. My mom does have one though if i want to tag along with her luckily. How have they held up? I have also seen an actual foam mattress that costco sells that come compressed in a box. I saw it and thought "no way there's a mattress in there!" but it really was. They must be at least decent, as they are intended for people

No sag from the LL Bean ortho beds. Still all over firm after a few years. Can't say the same for their regular LL Bean beds. They get flat over time. My greys use many beds here, scattered all over. They have more beds than I do :). You can also check Orvis - they have a good reputation.

I have also heard of some using baby mattresses and cover with a sheet. I just like the dog bed idea as it has a more durable cover to unzip and wash, and stands up to 'nesting'.

If you haven't already, Google the different dog bed sites and read the customer comments. You will get ideas there.

When we took the egg crate mattress topper off of DS's bed (Twin), at the time we only had Sammi. Her "kitchen/travel" bed was the smallest... and flattest. We folded the egg crate up inside it after I felt an "Orthopedic" bed at PetSmart and realized it was the same type of foam. It became a favorite bed. Lynni loves it at night (It's Lynni sized!) Sammi's huge fluffy green bedroom bed that she loves nesting in was getting flat in the center from all of her nesting. It was like she was sleeping in the center of a fluffy doughnut. We took the egg crate from out bed (Queen) and folded it up in her bed. Her bed is 2x the thickness of that bed at Petsmart and it's hard to get her to leave it in the morning :lol instead she will watch me from it until I put her food dish in her raised feeder. THEN she gets up and walks the 4 feet for her breakfast (Bedroom is right off of the kitchen now)

Guest Houston1219

When we took the egg crate mattress topper off of DS's bed (Twin), at the time we only had Sammi. Her "kitchen/travel" bed was the smallest... and flattest. We folded the egg crate up inside it after I felt an "Orthopedic" bed at PetSmart and realized it was the same type of foam. It became a favorite bed. Lynni loves it at night (It's Lynni sized!) Sammi's huge fluffy green bedroom bed that she loves nesting in was getting flat in the center from all of her nesting. It was like she was sleeping in the center of a fluffy doughnut. We took the egg crate from out bed (Queen) and folded it up in her bed. Her bed is 2x the thickness of that bed at Petsmart and it's hard to get her to leave it in the morning :lol instead she will watch me from it until I put her food dish in her raised feeder. THEN she gets up and walks the 4 feet for her breakfast (Bedroom is right off of the kitchen now)

I hadn't thought of this! Orthopedic mattress *toppers* are relatively inexpensive compared to the $300+ dog beds I have been looking at. I suppose one could be cut/folded to fit in an existing cover easily! I have seen some awesome looking memory foam ones all over town! Genius! :)

I had a King 4" memory foam topper that I didn't need anymore when I got a memory foam bed for myself, so I cut it up for the dogs years ago, they are still great. I've read good things about Sealy's dog bed :http://godogbeds.com/home

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

The Costco ones are great, and cheap. Ours has held up for years. There's a little rip in the cover on the corner from some foster chewing it, but that hasn't expanded despite Zuri's nesting.

Unfortunately I haven't seen them in my Costco in a long time.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Our greys LOVE the Spa Sensations 8" memory foam mattresses from Walmart:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Spa-Sensations-8-Memory-Foam-Mattress-Multiple-Sizes/12542630

They're a lot cheaper than memory foam dog beds, and in fact our greys prefer them to the L.L. Bean memory foam beds (we have those, too).

If you have space, the full size seems to be perfect for greyhounds. We put the mattresses against the wall and prop up two body pillows from Target ($8 each). We cover the mattresses with full size fitted sheets, which are easy to wash.

Right now the full size memory foam mattress is on sale at Walmart for $179 (it's normally $199). If you're pressed for space, the twin size is only $149. For comparison, the L.L. Bean extra-large therapeutic dog couch is $329, and it's not nearly as large as the full size memory foam mattress.

I have inside and outside(tile porch floor) crib mattresses from thrift stores $15-20 each. They are waterresist

. I find fitted velvet covers on ebay and make firm dogs beds on the cheap. It took a little while for the dogs to get used to the springs, but it was better than the hard floor!

Guest greytkidsmom

We use crib mattresses we got from Ikea. Very reasonably priced and have not sagged. They are foam-filled, not innerspring like typical crib mattresses.