Kidney Numbers (Sorry....again!)

Yet another kidney value question (sorry!). Teague is getting his first dental this week so I had to get bloodwork done. The vet called today to say that everything is good but the "kidney levels" looked a bit high. I didn't have any reference at the time, but I asked her if she was aware that greys have some different numbers for bloodwork. She said she didn't know about kidney values, but mentioned a couple of other things. I have no idea if she was looking at creatinine, BUN or if she thinks both are high, so sorry not much info, I should find out more tomorrow. She wants me to bring in a sample of urine in the morning as she said he also might have just been dehydrated.

So...my questions are:

1) is there any reference (ie. veterinary reference) that would be good to print out to bring in to show the difference in greyhound numbers?

2) If his kidneys were fine, would normal function show up in a urine test even if the creatinine/BUN was a bit high (i.e. normal for a greyhound)? In other words, if a specific dog has higher kidney numbers due to breed, diet, etc., but that is normal for them, would the kidney function show up normal in a urine sample? I am just hoping that even if the vet doesn't believe me with the numbers that at least the urine would show the kidneys were fine.

Thanks!

Edited by RedHead

That info is available at www.greythealth.com

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

According to a little card that was done by www.greythealth.com, creatinine should be between .8 - 1.6 (other dogs is between .0 - 10

That was the card I created, with permission from Dr Stack to site her as a reference. They are available for sale at greyhoundfriends.com for $2.

Please note that there was a typo in the value for "other dogs" - creatinine should read .0-1.0 All greyhound values are correct.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

There's a PDF located here. Download and print and take it with you. Put another copy in the trunk of your car in case you wind up with an emergency while you and the dog are away from home. It's the numbers, but it's also info on the research behind the numbers for various greyhound issues.

And if you're a belt-and-suspender type (ahem), put it on an external storage site (Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.) or email it to yourself and keep the email accessible from your phone so you can attach it to a new email and send it to an ER or vet...

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Thank you for the info and links! I know it is hard to tell anything without numbers, hopefully I can get some tomorrow. I just wanted a kind of general overview of what the urinalysis would tell as I am pretty clueless and it is hard to tell what to trust from googling. Of course, my printer has chosen to run out of ink tonight, but I will copy down some info and the links to bring along. Crossing fingers that it isn't a kidney problem and just a misunderstanding of greyhounds. This isn't my regular vet, as she is on vacation.

The numbers in Dr. Stack's article shouldn't be taken as absolute values. Rather, they show that a greyhound can run higher than normal without being abnormal. What "normal" and "higher than normal but OK for a greyhound" are depend on the lab that did your test.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

The numbers in Dr. Stack's article shouldn't be taken as absolute values. Rather, they show that a greyhound can run higher than normal without being abnormal. What "normal" and "higher than normal but OK for a greyhound" are depend on the lab that did your test.

Agreeing with Batmom. Dr Couto's values are slightly different than Dr Stack's but either should give your vet an idea of which particular values are unique to greyhounds.

tiny hada siggy.png

I got a copy of the bloodwork from the vet today. They should call about the urine test today.

The creatinine is listed as 179 umol/L (which if my conversion is correct, is around 2.0). It also flagged HGB as high but it is 20.6 which seems okay from the links provided. Everything else was in the normal range.

I guess I can't tell a lot from this until I hear the results of the urine test.

I got a copy of the bloodwork from the vet today. They should call about the urine test today.

The creatinine is listed as 179 umol/L (which if my conversion is correct, is around 2.0). It also flagged HGB as high but it is 20.6 which seems okay from the links provided. Everything else was in the normal range.

I guess I can't tell a lot from this until I hear the results of the urine test.

Nothing to be concerned about, especially if the dog is asymptomatic. Urine values shouldn't differ from other breeds. If the urine is adequately concentrated, I wouldn't worry at all.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Lillypad

Strongly agree with Batmom. I learned at the Greyhound Wellness Conference, Wheeling, WV, just how importmant a serial data evaluation on CBC (complete blood count) is. Got a full CBC two years ago when I first got my hound, thought I was good to go. Now realize how important it is to have this data done annually. The lession I learned was, every thing has to be relative to your particular hound, not just the average numbers for greyhounds in general. Most importantly, sending wishes for a safe and uneventful dental. I am sure everthing will go well. Will be thinking of you and your boy.

I got a call and the vet said the urinalysis showed no problems. His kidneys are working fine and the BUN is normal, so although 2.0 seems a bit high to me, it sounds like I don't really have to worry :) Now for the stress of the dental tomorrow!

Thank goodness for GT and all of your knowledge and experience. Thanks for helping to put my mind at ease.

Guest Lillypad

Good news on the BUN report. All the best wishes. Just think of that beautiful, pearly white smile you will see tomorrow. It is exhausting how we stress over these creatures, you are not along with those emotions... LOL

13-yr old Nutmeg has had creatinine levels a little high for a greyhound for 3 years and here she is at my side right now, telling me it's bed time. Best wishes for a smooth dental.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

All the best wishes. Just think of that beautiful, pearly white smile you will see tomorrow. It is exhausting how we stress over these creatures, you are not along with those emotions...

Thank you! To tell you the truth I am less anxious today with the surgery than I was waiting to see if he had kidney problems. Despite my bank account being emptied, I can't wait to have pearly white teeth and hopefully no more dog breath. His teeth were actually pretty good, just a few of the back ones. Hopefully this will be the one and only dental I have to do.

I still don't think the vet thinks this is normal, as she keeps saying he must have been dehydrated when the blood was drawn. Doubt it....oh well. :riphair

Edited by RedHead

Tell me about it...this seems very expensive, it has gone up about $1500 from the quote. I think it is mostly his very back teeth, at least I hope so. No idea how many yet. She said the roots were showing on a lot of them. I can imagine how painful that would be so I am definitely glad they are coming out. She said they may be able to get them all out today (he is doing well under anesthesia) but I am sitting here on pins and needles waiting for her to call back because he has been under for a long time. :unsure I am a very anxious person and a big worrier....I don't do well with these things!

We are very sorry to hear that you are going through this. It is very stressful. We recently went through having to pay very high vet bills for one of our greys in the Toronto area. Will be watching your post to see how you are doing.

Our thoughts are with you.

Guest Lillypad

So how did things go with the dental. So sorry to learn it has become twice the amount of the quote. But he will feel so much better... you are a good Mom.

Thanks :) He is doing well today. Happy to be home and back to normal except of bit of swelling. After what the vet said on the phone I thought he would be toothless but after all that time they only pulled 4 teeth!! It just took them a really long time apparently because they were very tricky to get out. The bill was $1700. She said that she still wants to take out some other teeth in a month or so (another $1300) but I think I am just going to see how the recovery goes and wait a bit. That's way more $$ than I was expecting, and he really doesn't have horrible teeth overall. Now that they are cleaned and polished I am hoping to be able to maintain them a lot better.

I'm just relieved everything went well, I'm a nervous momma when it comes to surgery!

Edited by RedHead