Traumeel

Yea or nay? I'm finding many conflicting opinions. Some swear it works wonders, other say not so much.

Desi's been on a generic carprofen for years, and it's just not cutting it anymore. I do add Tramadol now &

again, but am reluctant to use it consistently, would rather save the big gun for worse times in the future.

He's also taken Dasuquin for years, and just in the past few months, I've kicked that back up to the "loading"

dose.

Any thoughts/experiences with Traumeel very much appreciated.

Kathy

PS: How many tabs/day do you give? I'm getting a lot of different opinions on that, as well.

Edited by DesiRayMom

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

It may not be fair to put so much emphasis on one medication (western, homeopathic or eastern) as a cure all. I prefer a multi-discipline approach; I-therm, Zeel, turmeric, a Chinese herb called Concentrated Body Sore and essential oils. If you would prefer something with less steps/ingredients/investment, look at the ingredients in Zeel. I have had some surprising success with Rhus Toxicodendron for acute issues.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

I have used it and found it good for some things. Regular tramadol works better, but, the traumeel is good if you don't have a scrip.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I KNOW Traumeel works because I have used it myself :) I prefer the drops because it is easier than giving more pills imo.

There is even a human study on dental pain that showed it was very effective.

IMO it does MORE than just help with pain. I think it promotes healing as well.

I think Tramadol is safe. Momma gets 2 a day and 1 Robaxin a day and has for 2 years with no problems. On days that it is not enough she gets a Gabapentin. I give her professional strength hypericum as well as that helps the nerves in her hind end work better. And of course she gets Fresh factors & Duralactin-which also are effective. Thank the Lord she still runs and smiles at 14 1/2 years old :)

I have used Traumeel on horses, dogs and myself with good results.

My Vet recommends it.

I personally like the cream/gel if it's for an obvious muscle injury.

Drops are good to put on food. It seems to be tasteless...I've never had a dog/horse refuse to eat their food.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I KNOW Traumeel works because I have used it myself :) I prefer the drops because it is easier than giving more pills imo.

There is even a human study on dental pain that showed it was very effective.

IMO it does MORE than just help with pain. I think it promotes healing as well.

:nod I've used it myself with good results and have had good results with my dogs as well.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest LazyBlaze

If the Tramadol helps Desi and he tolerates it well then I would just give it. It's really pretty safe, even more so than the NSAIDs. I found with my old arthritic terrier that the Tramadol was a massive help to him, particularly after he had taken it continuously for about 3 weeks, the results were great. I was worried he'd be drowsy or spaced out but he wasn't, just much happier and more comfortable in his movements. He stayed on it. I think (?) that Tramadol dosage can be adjusted slightly too, so that you could start off on the lowest dose (maybe twice a day), and then up it in future if need be to 3xday or whatever the upper limit is.

We tried Zeel (but not Traumeel) on our old boy, and it helped a little, but not nearly as much as the Tramadol. Something else you might try is a product called Canine Super-Fenn (made by the same people that make CortaFlex/CortaVet). It was quite an effective painkiller for our boy for a while, but this was even before we had him on an NSAID (Onsior in our case). We continued to give it while he was taking the Onsior and Tramadol and could see a difference if we stopped it. (We gave it in conjunction with CortaVet, as recommended).

I hope Desi is doing okay.