New And Extreme Fear Of Stairs

Guest GreytBigGoofbal

Guest GreytBigGoofbal

He's staying with us, I'm carrying him up and down the stairs. I'm hoping it's something reparable, and that this med combo and kennel rest will solve everything. But, realistically speaking, even after the initial 6-8 weeks he's not supposed to do "high impact activities," including stairs. :/ I'm not sure yet how this will shake out. The guy at the rescue center seemed uninterested in my story. Maybe he was just busy, and I should try again? Maybe I can find someone to take him through the winter, and try to find a first-floor place when my lease is up (in June)? He's only been with us for four weeks, and I feel like this is not what I bargained for. But, I'm trying.

I would talk with the director/president of the adoption group if you can. I really can't imagine that they wouldn't help to some extent.

I wouldn't consider stairs high impact altho they do put stress on certain joints/muscles. Whether he'll be able to do them later probably depends on what's wrong.

Sending along some hugs and hopes that all works out well.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest GreytBigGoofbal

Update: Cyclone seems to be feeling like himself, so that's good! He's having a few bathroom issues with the meds he's on, but nothing we can't handle. He's still standing with his elbow cocked out, and having some difficulties with weakness in his front end, but at least he seems cheerful and like he is not in pain!

Batmom: it was the director of the rescue I talked to a few days ago. I may try again after our recheck Saturday.

I'm glad he seems to be holding his own! :)

I hope you can have a good talk with the rescue director.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Glad Cyclone seems to be feeling a bit better while on pain medication.

Do all your vets understand he is being carried up and down 3 flights of apartment stairs?

Are they concerned about further injury aggravation from being carried?

Thank you for your dedication to help Cyclone. Assuming the adoption center is Greyhound specific, I'd encourage you to try contacting them again. I would hope the center will reconsider their willingness to help by at least offering a temporary single level foster home. Even if they run a kennel, many groups can arrange temporary home care for unique medical circumstances.

Continuing to send positive thoughts for Cyclone.

Wow, it's really wild that I find this topic here. My Ajax is going through this exact issue! OP, please do reach out to people on Facebook and also your adoption group's president. Your boy needs an MRI and possibly surgery to repair a blown disk (if he has what Ajax has, and an MRI will tell you that). Perhaps we here at GT can pitch in some donations to help you out. I'm in the fortunate position where I can afford any medical treatment my dogs need, and it makes my teeth itch to contemplate not being able to do that. I for one, will pitch in some to help you.

So Ajax's story, take it with a grain of salt, it might NOT be what your dog has, but even so I think it might help you to know what someone else has gone through with similar symptoms.

We've had him for about 5 years now, he's an 80-pound teddy bear. He has an odd mentality: does NOT like novelty or new things, and also does NOT like to be physically manipulated. So for example, the trick of teaching stairs by moving his feet onto each step for him, would not work for him. I once tried to push him firmly into the car, thinking that being blocked/pushed from behind would force him to go forward and then he'd see it wasn't as bad as he thought. Backfire: he instead decided that I was a bully and not to be trusted. So I had to spend a few weeks repairing that and then micro-baby-steps to learn how to get into the car.

So last winter suddenly he had trouble going up our indoor, carpeted, closed stairs to come to bed. We encouraged him with happy voices and treats, and after a few weeks that went away. We assumed he tripped or something and was then afraid of the stairs. Then in late January the problem came back. In the evenings we go down into the basement to watch tv, and this time he got so bad that after going downstairs with us, he couldn't get back up again. Over a few weeks, this happened:

DH tried to get him upstairs on leash. That worked for a few nights, but it was super stressful and Ajax would be panting like crazy. Then he wouldn't even go on leash, so Dh tried to pick up up and carry him. That worked for a few days but even being carried, Ajax would be panting and drooling. Then when DH tried to pick him up, Ajax screamed and ran away. See the escalation of fear and stress, we thought it was from his mentality like I described above. I wasted lots of money on a behaviorist (who didn't tell us anything that I couldn't have found here on Greytalk.) But at the same time we were taking him to the vet to see if there was pain anywhere. The vet couldn't find anything, although did notice that he hitched his hip up on one side when he trotted on a level floor. They thought he had bilateral pulled muscles in his groin. So we did many weeks of physical therapy.

He did get better enough to start going up stairs, all by himself without having to be re-taught. But just about that time, because his PT took so strangely long, we took him to a neurologist. He's got a serious disk bulge in his lower back that's pressing on the nerve root for his right rear leg. Now that we have an actual diagnosis, he's scheduled for spinal disk surgery later this week. We're nervous about that because it's major surgery, but if we don't, the doctor says it will get worse until he loses control of his back legs and bowels. We don't want that to happen.

So anyway, again, this might not be the case with your dog. But I do empathize!

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

Guest GreytBigGoofbal

Cyclone has returned to Maine Greyhound Placement Services, the rescue from which I adopted him a month ago. His neurological issues will likely require surgery, which I cannot afford. The director of the rescue assured me that they will do everything that they can, and will try to place him in a home (or foster home) without stairs where he can recover fully, which he would never be able to do in my home, under the care I can afford.

I'm glad they are stepping up to help him but sad that you have to give up your boy. I have a miserable lot of stairs here, too (tho also a workaround if a pup is sick or injured). Lots and lots of hugs to you, and best wishes to Cyclone for complete healing and a good future.

Cyclone has returned to Maine Greyhound Placement Services, the rescue from which I adopted him a month ago. His neurological issues will likely require surgery, which I cannot afford. The director of the rescue assured me that they will do everything that they can, and will try to place him in a home (or foster home) without stairs where he can recover fully, which he would never be able to do in my home, under the care I can afford.

I'm so sorry. You tried SO HARD. And worked SO HARD. My heart goes out to you. Of course, I completely agree with letting him go back to the group.. A new adopter should never have to be responsible for expensive surgery, and a medical issue that makes him unable to live in your house. I'm sure they'll find the resources to get the surgery and get him in a home without stairs. He'll be fine.

Please don't let this experience sour your against greyhounds. There are SO many out there that need a loving home. Not every grey is right for every house - for medical, personality, situational, many reasons.. And that's OK. No fault - no harm.

I hope you're willing to open your heart and your home again. I'm sure you'll be a fabulous greyhound family.

And again - thank you for all your efforts. Cyclone was lucky to have someone as attentive and caring as you to take care of his needs. To let a dog go in the dog's best interest is a selfless and wonderful thing.