How Hot Is Too Hot?

How hot is too hot to walk the houndies? A real walk, not just 20 minutes around the block. Molly really needs a good walk and I'm trying to decide if it's too hot. It's low 80s but the sun is really shining.

TIA,

GreyhoundGirl and an Annoying Molly May :)

Whichever is more sensitive- your bare hand or bare feet- go out and touch the planned walking surfaces (sidewalk/pavement/sand). That is what they would be walking on. A hot sidewalk, with the sun beating down on it, can damage paws.

On hot days, I either do very early morning walks (7am) or late evening after the sun isn't directly shining on surfaces.

We wouldn't walk at all at that temp....maybe, if it was raining!

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest FordRacingRon

If you're talking in the shade on grass and not pavement that is baking,,then I vote 20 min too. I have found that if it is too hot (whether if I think so or not) my girl will lie down and tell me even though I think it's good it is not, let's get back to the central air.

They don't actually like anything much over 70, so long walks and runs only at each end of the day.

Peggy loves Fall, Winter (when not heavy rain) and Spring.

Remember they evolved to be crepuscular hunters and to be able to catch the daytime prey when it got too dusky for them to be able to see well and too bright for the nighttime prey to be able to see well either.

Edited by JohnF

Thanks for the replies. It confirms my thoughts that it's too hot. Per the vet they're not supposed to be around other dogs since they're both still under the weather recovering so no dog parks or dog stores. I thought a walk would work. We'll wait until later tonight or tomorrow when it won't get much over 70.

Per the vet they're not supposed to be around other dogs since they're both still under the weather recovering so no dog parks or dog stores.

There's also big box stores that allow dogs, such as Home Depot and Lowe's and Tractor Supply. There's still the hot parking lot problem, though.

Crepuscular -- will try to use 10 times in conversation today to cement it into my vocabulary. :) "Are you an early morning person?" "No, I'm more crepuscular."

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Check Home Depot and Lowe's - it varies by store. My Home Depot does not allow dogs (except for service dogs) at all after an elderly woman was bitten by a JRT. My Lowes only allows them in the garden area.

In the summers we walk just after dark but I guess that would depend on your neighborhood. We have done walks when it was in the high 80's after the "sun is over the yardarm"...but more like pre dusk.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Greyt_livin

One block in 20 minutes! :hehe I go early in the morning and we do about a half hour walk and can get a mile or so, unless there is a lot of sniffing. I can tell when he slows down it's time to go home.