Advocate

Searching for treatments for Cozett's persistent hookworms I found this product: Advocate. Heartworm treatment tht looks like it kills mature hookworms and eggs? Anyone familiar with it? I am losing my mind with these hookworms. Looks like it s the sme as advantage

http://www.animalhealth.bayer.com/4912.0.html

Edited by dbullwinkel

I have looked at Advocate, but have not tried it. I am also battling hooks and whips! They are impossible! Mine have been treated 4x now with 3 different meds. I have ordered some Interceptor online from Australia (with the blessing of my vet) and we are going to try dosing them every 2 weeks for 8 weeks. According to the vet this medication is out of their system in a week to 10 days so this should be safe. I'm waiting for the medication to arrive and then we will start. My dogs have been on Heartguard every month all year so I just don't understand it! Although Heartguard does not treat whips (Interceptor does) it does treat hooks. We are hoping the change in medications will get rid of these resistant worms.

I'll post if this works or not.

Edited by june

Guest sireltonsmom

My vet had me treat Beau twice a day with Panacur for two weeks. It was expensive - over $300 for the 1 lb. jar but they are GONE!!!!!! the jar comes with a measuring spoon with several different pound sizes so you can get the right dosage for your weight dog. You could ask your vet's opinion on that possibility. I feel your pain. I thought he would NEVER get over them! I felt so bad - the darn things have teeth(!) and hang on like crazy. Big ick factor too! And dangerous as they can make the dog anemic. Good luck.

The trick to treating intestinal parasites is to de-worm at intervals--meaning whether you use panacur or strongid t (hookworms) you need to repeat treatments. I find de-worming for hooks a once week for 6 week protocol works well.

Test results were still positive but reduced from +2 to +1. Doing droncet plus tonight. 2 weeks ago she finished 3rd. Round of Panacur. First 2 were droncet. Tomorrow will start strongid for 5 days. Off 3weeks and repeat. The other protocol I saw was once weekly for 6 weeks. I understand the need for taking break and then repeating. Just not sure what is best method.

I use Advocate that we buy from Australia. It's the same as Advantage Multi in the US. We've never had a problem with hooks so I can't tell if you if it works for that. It does work for fleas, I accidentally brought a dog home with fleas and didn't realize it for a day and a half and none of my dogs on the Advocate got them.

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05

Cozett had drontal last night. Vet told me to wait 24 hours and start strongid. Her stomach is very upset, obviously from the drontal. Typical second dose of drontal is 2 weeks. I am thinking I should wait at least one week to start strongid? I want to get rid of the worms, but not make her sick as well. My poor girl.. I gave her pepcid