Best Flea Prevention Topical?

Guest mhall

Guest mhall

We and the pups are going camping in Colorado in a couple weeks. Given the recent cases of plague I want to make sure we treat them with an effective flea preventative before we go. We don't have fleas in our part of NM, so it's been a while since they've been on any sort of flea medication. We used Frontline when we lived back East but it wasn't always effective.

We need something that will not wash off, since Emily will probably do some swimming in the nearby lakes and streams. I assume we'll also want something that can kill fleas before they bite (or do those sorts of preventatives kill fleas quickly enough that they can't transmit disease?). Tick prevention would probably also be nice, though not quite as crucial. Not sure how back ticks usually are in Colorado this time of year.

Do we need to avoid products with permethrin? I've heard mixed things about it with greyhounds. Some information says it's fine, some says it's not safe.

We'll talk to our vet too, but since she's not always super knowledgeable about what is safe for greyhounds I thought I'd ask here first. Thanks in advance for suggestions! :)

What you really want, is to hear from someone who in the area you're traveling too. Frontline worked great for us in DE, but didn't work at all, Flea wise, in SC.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Advantage hands down if you don't have ticks. I don't and am spared the permerthrin quandary.

One of the biggest rescues here has used Advantix with no problems. I used to just use Advantage but when we were going to Abilene KS for the gathering I'd buy one dose of Frontline. Get out of the car anywhere in Oklahoma for a potty stop and the ticks were all over.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest mhall

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! We decided to go with Frontline plus after talking with our vet, who grew up in CO and went to vet school there.

One of the biggest rescues here has used Advantix with no problems. I used to just use Advantage but when we were going to Abilene KS for the gathering I'd buy one dose of Frontline. Get out of the car anywhere in Oklahoma for a potty stop and the ticks were all over.

We used Advantix on our first greyhound (with no issues) because that was what his adoption group used on him. It worked wonders on New England ticks, but I was hesitant to use it on future dogs since so many people say it can be dangerous for greyhounds.