Need Food Storage Options

Guest OPointyDog

Guest OPointyDog

I'm trying to organize and de-clutter my house, starting with the laundry/mud room. We have stackable bins for pet food, but Mika's big bags of prescription food don't fit in the bins anymore. The dog food bags have just been sitting on the floor, but they're in the way and I'm worried they'll get meal moths in them. So we need storage for two different kinds of food. Easy access is a bonus, and I like to keep the food in the bag, so the storage would need to house the bag....

Solutions? How do you store your dog food?

We use stackable bins that are actually meant for recyclables. Very sturdy and they hold a 40 bag of food. I usually pour the kibble out of the bag, but it would fit inside I suppose. I think we got them at the Storables store or the Container store.

Like this, but with a hinged lid

49688psku.jpg

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

We use this one from Sam's Club. Just drop the bag in. Easy access through the lid and it's airtight when closed. http://www.samsclub.com/sams/pet-food-dispenser-for-60-lb-bags/prod3890003.ip?navAction=

They also sometimes have a nested set of these in varying sizes in the housewares section.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

organize everything in the laundry room and then measure twice. you will see exactly how much space you have and browse amazon for ideas. i have a vittles vault, large size and it's tidy,the dogs can't get into it and is easy to fill and get food out. it's the measuring that's most important and check out the container store and home depot/lowes for the many small gizmos that help organize things. good for you....organizing!

organize everything in the laundry room and then measure twice. you will see exactly how much space you have and browse amazon for ideas. i have a vittles vault, large size and it's tidy,the dogs can't get into it and is easy to fill and get food out. it's the measuring that's most important and check out the container store and home depot/lowes for the many small gizmos that help organize things. good for you....organizing!

I also use a Vittles Vault. Even Loca couldn't open it.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest shanesmom

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00186RTWW/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1406866129&sr=8-3&pi=SY200_QL40

I use this type. I also put the whole bag in the container.

This is the one I have. Love that it's on wheels plus I can put the entire 50 pound bag of Iams from Costco in it. I like just dropping the bag right in without dumping it out. Makes clean up easier.

http://www.petsmart.com/dog/bowls-feeders/grreat-choice-pet-food-dispenser-zid36-6464/cat-36-catid-100010?var_id=36-6464&_t=pfm%3Dcategory

I have this, it's designed to hold the food back in place, once you cut the top off it. Dispensing is easy and even Henry my food monster hasn't figured out how to get into it. I like that you don't have to open the whole lid to get food out.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest OPointyDog

Thanks, all! There are some great storage products out there that I've never seen before - great ideas! What we have currently is a lot like what greysmom suggested - except ours are too small for the 32lb bag of Mika's food, and they don't close tightly to keep the moths out. Maybe if they were bigger. I'll look into it! I also like the idea of having the bins on wheels.

I don't dump the food out of the bag after a suggestion from our vet. Our previous dog (grey x GSD) was getting sick every 6 weeks or so, and we finally figured out it was because we were dumping the food into the plastic container, and when we got down to the bottom, the food was old and was going bad because we never used it up. So while the food on top was new, the food at the bottom of the bin might be many months old and in our humid climate, it gets moldy. I felt terrible that we had been making her sick! So we started keeping the food in the bag and then using it all up before opening the new bag.

Fortunately we don't have to worry about keeping the dogs out of the food, since they are gated out of that area. Mika is a major foodhound and is super-destructo dog, so if he had access, he would totally figure out how to open things! If only he would use his powers for good and not evil....

I also use a Vittles Vault. Even Loca couldn't open it.

this is better than a product with a Better Homes and Garden stamp of approval on it :rofl:P

maybe you have Sam's put "Loca tested - Loca approved" on it with her picture :):P

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I don't bother with any fancy, just use one of those big plastic bins with a lid (like a small trash can) and line it with a big black refuse sack, then put the 35lb bag of dog food inside that and fold the refuse sack over it before shutting the lid. Nothing gets in there, not even damp.

this is better than a product with a Better Homes and Garden stamp of approval on it :rofl:P

maybe you have Sam's put "Loca tested - Loca approved" on it with her picture :):P

I see you remember Loca :lol

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I don't bother with any fancy, just use one of those big plastic bins with a lid (like a small trash can) and line it with a big black refuse sack, then put the 35lb bag of dog food inside that and fold the refuse sack over it before shutting the lid. Nothing gets in there, not even damp.

A large Rubbermaid garbage can should hold a large bag of dog food.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest beetle_slayer

We used a large trash can for our first grey. Only problem was that guests would put their trash in there without looking. Currently we use a large Rubbermaid bin with a lid. It will hold almost 2 30lb bags. We noticed that the pups wouldn't eat as much as we got to the bottom as it had been about a month. Now we just do 1 bag and when empty just wipe it out and dump a new bag in. This fits on the floor in our tiny pantry in out laundry room. It was waaaay cheap too.

Guest greytone

I use a large trash can because it can hold 80lbs of food....However, I am thinking about getting a nicer looking container because it sits in my laundry room.