Hair Loss In Dog Recently Off Track

Guest johnwe

Guest johnwe

I'd like to hear about experiences with hair loss with female dogs recently off the track. Is hair loss around the neck usually due to the collar?

How would you determine the likelihood of hair regrowing with a dog recently off the track?

I can only write on my own recent experience, but am sure that others will chime in.

Nova came to me off the track in March. She's pretty much all black, except for about 6 white toes and a tiny white patch on her chest. She arrived a tawny brownish color, and as soon as the weather warmed up, she started shedding. I would brush out piles of fur every day. She pretty much lost all of the hair on her belly, the backs of her thighs, and her neck. I assumed that it was just how she was going to turn out, and was fine with it. But now, within the past couple of weeks, she is starting to grow silky black fur back in those areas.

The process has taken months, and I am just now starting to get a glimpse of what her coat will turn out to be like.

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

Mine came with fur. She lost it over the summer, regrew it for fall (just in time for a professional photo shoot) and then lost it again. It has never regrown. Sometimes the spots fill in a bit -- it comes and goes. But she will always have a bare tummy, a bare neck front and two bare spots on her butt.

It's the lay of the land. I know for a fact that her collar has nothing to do with it because 95% of the time she's nekkid.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

I think most of them will blow off their "track coat" or " farm coat" after adoption due to change in diet and living conditions. Nothing to worry about unless it doesn't eventually re-grow.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I have had my black boy for 4 months, he had a very fine baby soft coat was virtually bald on high thighs and tummy and then lost all the fur under his neck where his collar goes. He shed that soft fluffy coat and now has an equally soft but smooth and shiny coat and the fur has grown back on his belly, thighs and neck.

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

Too soon to judge, IMO. Female dogs need several months to clear the hormones used to keep their heat cycles at bay during their racing careers. During that time, they may lose their hair, and/or any undercoat they have built up. A change in diet and environment will also impact hair growth/regrowth.

Sometimes the hair grows back and sometimes not. It depends a lot on the individual dog and genetics. There is some indication that being thyroid deficient has something to do with it, but that's NOT a reason, in and of itself, to begin giving thyroid. Wearing a collar probably doesn't have much of anything to do with hair loss.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly