Need Advice About Adding 2Nd Grey To Our Pack

Guest Bhamgreyt

Guest Bhamgreyt

As I mentioned on the introduction page, we have adopted a second grey and are scheduled to bring her home on 8/15. I've done my homework and am prepared for the usual introduction rituals (meet outside first, let existing grey walk through door first, keep muzzles on, etc).

Lila and our new girl met already at the track and seemed to do fine, ritualistic butt sniff - which I told my kids was a dog version of a hand shake, friendly tail wag, and then they were oblivious of each other. While in the turn out pen, the new girl even ran up to Lila and laid at her feet which I believe was a good sign.

My concern is this, we traveling for 8 days. the day we get home and pick up Lila is the same day we are scheduled to pick up our new girl. Part of me thinks this is a good thing as Lila will be away at the doggie resort, so she'll be used to seeing and hearing other dogs so this may reduce the likelihood of her being territorial. The other part of me is thinking I could be a disaster with two stressed dogs (hard to Imagine Lila stressed). Maybe I am other thinking this. Thoughts? Any other advice would be really appreciated.

I would tend to want to put off new dog for a day, just so I could concentrate on getting back in the house, doing laundry, etc., And Lila may need to rest up after her own adventure. But I'm sure much bigger obstacles have been overcome :)

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter