Need Help Keeping Grey Off The Bed

Guest CleverJason

Guest CleverJason

Recently, I discovered that my greyhound Baron has been getting on my bed when I'm not home, and I'm not sure how to stop it. I have mild dog allergies, and although they rarely act up around Baron, they go nuts when I'm exposed to dog hair in the bed overnight. I've never allowed him on the bed, and he knows he's not supposed to be there (he won't get on the bed when I'm home, and on the few occasions I've caught him, I made him get down right away and let him know I disapproved). He has several dog beds throughout the house, including a giant fluffy one right next to my bed that he sleeps in at night.

I don't want to block him out of the bedroom when I'm gone, because he recognized that as his den (I'm guessing, because it's where he hoards his favorite treasures). I just need a way to make the bed seem like an unattractive place to nap when I'm out. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

1. They make bed covers that you put over everything like a giant fitted sheet. They're made of a thick material and cover your blanket and pillows too. Put it on when you leave in the morning, take it off before bed. Maybe your allergies won't act up and he can get on the bed.

2. Put a chair on your bed or some other large, hard, awkward piece of furniture.

3. Close your door. He'll get over it.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest normaandburrell

When we had this problem, we put a heavy plastic dropcloth, the kind you use to protect the floor when you paint the walls, on the bed and the couch both. It would crinkle when the dog jumped up, and he would jump right off. We only had to do this for about a week. An old shower curtain or plastic table cloth would probably work, too.

Try magazines all over the bed.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I would recommend krissy's #1 -- one of those tightly woven covers to put on in the a.m. and take off at bedtime. Easiest for everybody :) .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I would go the other direction, I would go to the doctor and get allergy shots. Once you are on the allergy shots for a while, then invite your hound in bed with you and enjoy a warm winter night with the oven that is a greyhound.

Guest CleverJason

When we had this problem, we put a heavy plastic dropcloth, the kind you use to protect the floor when you paint the walls, on the bed and the couch both. It would crinkle when the dog jumped up, and he would jump right off. We only had to do this for about a week. An old shower curtain or plastic table cloth would probably work, too.

Ah, well that's easy! I have a few of those at my house, so I will give that a shot first. Thanks for the suggestion!

I would go the other direction, I would go to the doctor and get allergy shots. Once you are on the allergy shots for a while, then invite your hound in bed with you and enjoy a warm winter night with the oven that is a greyhound.

Haha, while that is an interesting option, I don't really want to share the bed with my dog at night. We both fidget in our sleep :)

Guest chickenpotpie

I agree with closing the door. Lucky isn't allowed to sleep with us (not that she cares) but I also don't let her go in the bedroom during the day either, which alleviates possible temptation. Besides, she's got a freaking tempurpedic bed. there are times I'd rather sleep on her bed than mine :hehe

3. Close your door. He'll get over it.

:nod

A step up from the plastic drop cloth is the hard but flexible plastic pad that goes on carpet under a rolling office chair. Lay it nasty-little-carpet-hugging-teeth up.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

• 1 month later...