Stella & Chewy's

The local pet store where our group hosts a monthly M&G had a rep from Stella & Chewy's handing out samples of the freeze-dried dinners. We tried a few varieties and our dogs liked them. So, before heading to Grapehounds NY, we bought a bag of the beef pattys to add into their kibble. We've done quite a bit of traveling with our hound pack. Thanks to Stella & Chewy's this was also the first time we didn't have to throw out any kibble. We crumpled up one patty in with their kibble, added water, and wound up with empty bowls at each meal. No upset tummies either.

http://www.stellaandchewys.com/

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

My raw fed dogs love them! I use the freeze dried for treats :)

NeylasMom (Jen) told me that they use the freeze dried rabbit for training treats too.

The freeze dried are really lightweight, easy to pack, and most importantly, got our entire pack to gobble up food when away from home!

Guest greyhound_in_LA

I've been wondering about this in terms of cost per month for one greyhound. How many large patties per day if this is the only food, no kibble? Is it 2 per meal? Thanks.

I've been wondering about this in terms of cost per month for one greyhound. How many large patties per day if this is the only food, no kibble? Is it 2 per meal? Thanks.

A LOT

We just added 1 patty per meal per dog (we feed 2x per day) in addition to their kibble while traveling. The large bag cost $28 and was good for 9 meals for our four pack.

Edited by winnie

Jennifer,

I feed my senior boy Jake Stella and Chewy's frozen raw. The large patties are about $32 for a bag of 12. I feed Jake 2 patties twice a day. He seems extra hungry at night, so I add a half cup of kibble and mix it all together. I have also tried the little patties (medallions). They run about $29 a bag for 32 medallions. You would need to feed 12 to 14 medallions a day. With the large patties I get six days out of a bag. The medallions on the other hand you only get about 2.5 - 3 days. I have also done the freeze dried patties, but they are more money then the frozen. The most cost effective are the large patties. If you have more questions feel free to ask.

gallery_24215_3397_4722.jpg

Carolina (R and A Carolina) & Rebel (FA Ready).
At the bridge: Kira (Driven by Energy) 7/19/97 - 6/17/04 & Jake (Jumpstart Dude) 9/12/00 - 1/24/15

Guest greyhound_in_LA

Jennifer,

I feed my senior boy Jake Stella and Chewy's frozen raw. The large patties are about $32 for a bag of 12. I feed Jake 2 patties twice a day. He seems extra hungry at night, so I add a half cup of kibble and mix it all together. I have also tried the little patties (medallions). They run about $29 a bag for 32 medallions. You would need to feed 12 to 14 medallions a day. With the large patties I get six days out of a bag. The medallions on the other hand you only get about 2.5 - 3 days. I have also done the freeze dried patties, but they are more money then the frozen. The most cost effective are the large patties. If you have more questions feel free to ask.

OK, thanks! So you get five bags of the 12-patty size per month, which is like $160.

I looked online, and for the beef patties package, the price was around $44. Maybe I'm crazy; everything in CA is more expensive, so going to a locally run pet store would not make the 12-patty bag any cheaper.

I saw that Grandma Lucy's has a monthly freeze-dried box for around $70-$75?

OK, thanks! So you get five bags of the 12-patty size per month, which is like $160.

I looked online, and for the beef patties package, the price was around $44. Maybe I'm crazy; everything in CA is more expensive, so going to a locally run pet store would not make the 12-patty bag any cheaper.

I saw that Grandma Lucy's has a monthly freeze-dried box for around $70-$75?

Hi Jennifer! There are a lot of greyhound owners here in LA, so welcome! A lot of us feed raw, too, and part of a quarterly group that orders raw green tripe from the Fresno area. Feel free to contact me if you are interested at clkruzan at gmail dot com

-Connie

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

The type of meat you buy also affects the price. The rabbit, pheasant, etc. are the higher priced one's here.

I have done the Grandmom Lucy's as well. Jake likes variety. He would grow tired of eating the same flavor day in and day out. The raw always me to change proteins much more often. Depends on your boy. Both are really good brands and I've yet to have any stomach issues.

gallery_24215_3397_4722.jpg

Carolina (R and A Carolina) & Rebel (FA Ready).
At the bridge: Kira (Driven by Energy) 7/19/97 - 6/17/04 & Jake (Jumpstart Dude) 9/12/00 - 1/24/15

I buy the small dehydrated nuggets for my hedgehog (one of the only foods she will eat!). I do sometimes put a few nuggets over my dog's raw food or kibble though and add some warm water. They love it. It is just enough to make a nice smelly gravy. It would be insanely expensive to feed on its own here, it would be close to $20 per day. Yikes! Great for picky dogs though, and it would useful to entice a dog to eat when travelling or sick. Primal also makes a very similar dehydrated nugget for around the same cost.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest greyers

Just to add onto this conversation, how much you have to feed of stella and chewy's also really depends on which formula. The surf and turf and the lamb have by far the most calories per patty. I feed stella and chewys frozen raw and small batch frozen raw and I feel only the highest calorie formulas. This greatly reduces the cost. I feed only 2 patties per day per dog plus they get supplemented with ziwipeak which is also expensive but high on calories. I use stella and chewy freeze dried on travel. I have riidiculous charts I keep on all the calorie content of my dogs foods because I am anal retentive that way. lol. There are several dog food calculators out there and info on calories needed per day. Dog food advisor has one. My dogs need between 1400-1550 a day. They get about 950 calories a day from their raw and then they get about a cup of ziwipeak throughout the day and that puts them right about 1500 calories before treats.

BRAND/FORMULA

LARGE PATTIES

SMALL PATTY/SLIDER

STELLA & CHEWY

STELLA SURF N’ TURF

STELLA BEEF

STELLA LAMB

STELLA CHICKEN

STELLA GOOSE

STELLA VENISON

I like Chewy.com and doggiefood.com for decent prices on Stella/Chewy. They have a variety of coupons/promo codes that come from emails if you subscribe.

My dogs get these as treats or evening snacks, so that I'm sure I keep their diets balanced (I feed a home-prepared part-raw diet ... my boy hates raw organ meats so this gets that plus calcium and other nutrients that I sometimes struggle getting into every meal).

The cat food dehydrated is nugget-sized, and has only slight ingredient differences ... enough to avoid using them as a food source, but close enough to use in their treat rotation.

Stella's got a guide for # of patties to give (of each style & protein source) ... on average, 15 patties/day (each reconstituted with 1/4c water) for a 70# greyhound.

http://stellaandchewys.com/feeding_guide.aspx

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Johberry

Topics like these make me appreciate this forum even more, so thank you!

I had been debating about feeding our new boy raw or not. Reading all of your posts helped me take the plunge and try raw frozen patties and found Enzo LOVES it. For dinner we're now feeding one patty mixed with some kibble. I was nervous that it was going to be a disaster but his poops were just fine and even better! Right now our hound is battling hooks so maintaining his weight has been a challenge, but when weighed at the vet's today he's finally at his old racing weight whereas he was a few pounds under when we got him late August.

greyers--Thank you for posting your feeding regimen and mentioning Ziwipeak as I had never heard of the brand. I researched their website and really like what I've read. Our local holistic pet boutique carries it so we'll be giving it a try in the future to supplement the raw patties. The boutique doesn't carry Stella & Chewy's but instead carries Primal Pet Food so we've been feeding the Primal Pet Food raw frozen patties with great results.