Picky Or Is Something Wrong?

Guest Addie

Guest FordRacingRon

Sorry I haven't read the entire thread but, to answer your last post I would continue the omeprazole but do not start the Pepcid. If your hound does have a GI ulcer you should be giving also be giving carafate (sucralfate) every 8 hours.

I can't speak for dogs (although I think the above is good advice) but people are not supposed to take these types of meds longer then 14 days for a fake medical reason. The drugs will not harm you but the 14 day limit is because people will treat ulcers with heartburn meds and never see a doctor then before you know it,,a hospital stay. If they have heartburn for that long (as I did/do) you have to see a physician to see if you are not treating some underlying condition.

I would assume the same would go for dogs too. If there is an ulcer the Pepcid or what have you may mask a problem so unless a vet says it is okay I would stop it too. I mentioned above that my girl gets a pepcid,,but she was scoped by a vet and they found no ulcers but they did find a slight swelling in her intestines and they felt the Pepcid would help her.

Guest Addie

The vet told me to give the omeprazole, and I'm to check in after the 14 day pack is done.

So what I have discovered is if I give the Metoclopramide and wait 30min, then give the Carafate wait another 30 min, he will eat all his food! (I was giving it all at once before) I think the purpose of the metoclopramide is to empty the stomach so it was taking the Carafate with it and it was not able to coat his stomach. Or maybe he is starting to feel better?

Now I just have to find a pain killer that won't rot out his stomach.....

Guest FordRacingRon

PS: Proton pump inhibitors can also contribute to osteoporosis with long term use,,as I found out a month ago about myself. Another reason for the 14 day limit (I took them for 3 years, under doctors orders).

Guest Addie

Geez, sounds like omeprazole is pretty bad for you if you take it too long, I will for sure discontinue it after its done :(

Thanks all for the awesome help!!!

This is the best community ever!!!

FYI--one of my girls was prescribed omeprazole by a clinician at Ohio State University-she took it long term and I was told it's perfectly safe. She took it everyday for almost one year. It's extremely safe to continue beyond the human recommended 14 day course.

Guest FordRacingRon

FYI--one of my girls was prescribed omeprazole by a clinician at Ohio State University-she took it long term and I was told it's perfectly safe. She took it everyday for almost one year. It's extremely safe to continue beyond the human recommended 14 day course.

That is what I was saying, the 14 day limit is bogus as the drug manufacturer does not want to be held responsible for people incorrectly treating themselves. But there are long term side affects FOR SOME on PPI,,,I was one of the (un) lucky ones and got osteo out of the deal (no family history).

Geez, sounds like omeprazole is pretty bad for you if you take it too long, I will for sure discontinue it after its done :(

Thanks all for the awesome help!!!

This is the best community ever!!!

Burp took prilosec for years and was fine.

If needed you can also, in addition to the carafate, prilosec (morning) add zantac at night.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits