Picky Or Is Something Wrong?

Guest Addie

Guest Addie

I'll start with a little history first.

I adopted London when he was a little over 4 yo. (he is now 12) He has a nice size over bite which can make eating and drinking a little difficult. He eats from a plant stand (for extra height) and a horse dish (plastic, to help with the front teeth that he will rake across the bowl) Ever since I got him almost every time he takes a drink of water he with "hork" it starts out with a gag sound then will follow with a cough. After he does this he seems totally fine. He never vomits from eating/ drinking. London's blood work has always been good, no real medical problems other then some spondylosis in his spine and a little arthritis in his wrist.

Back in March he started doing the "hork" for no reason (other then drinking water) and refused or ate very little food off and on (he was a total chow hound before) So when it went on for a couple days I took him to the vet. Full blood work and check up. Nothing wrong. The vet and I thought maybe it was some acid reflux since he was not vomiting. I was told to try some Pepcid, that helped for about a month. I tried a few other things like zantac and tums. Then I switched to Omeprazole (that helped the most) So about a week ago I took him back in since he is still not eating from time to time. To my horror he has lost 10 lbs since March. I realized he lost weight, but not that much!! He was over weight before but if this continues....

At his last appointment they took xrays from his eye balls to his butt hole and everything looked normal. I was worried he may have mega esophagus but on the xray there was no evidence of that, and the vet did not think it was necessary to do a barium xray. And his blood work again was normal. I was sent home with meds and to bring him back in a week for a weigh in. If he does not gain 1 pound with me making extra effort to get him to eat more my vet wants to ultrasound his liver. Because in the xray his stomach looked like it was being pushed a little she was thinking by the liver, but the next xray the liver looked fine. So she is thinking that may just be normal for his stomach? His teeth are in pretty good shape.

The meds we got were Metoclopramide 10mg 3x a day 30 min before a meal and Carafate 2x a day. He is also getting Omeprazole 20mg 1x a day.

London has been on for maybe a year or more Glucosamine 1500mg, hyaluronic acid 40mg and elk antler. He also gets Carprofen 2x a day (I'm thinking of asking for Metacam and tramadol since its not cutting it anymore) and Alprazolam for fireworks.

So now the more I try to get him to eat the less he is eating! I'm wondering how can you tell if its picky eating or if something is wrong?

I have tried the tough love approach and if he did not eat I would pick up the food. He went with only a few bites for 3 days! I started adding canned, and so began the downward spiral of what to try next. He will eat something new for a few days, then not want it. He will always eat treats, he prefers the jerky type but will take any treat (I have been giving after his pills so they are not on an empty stomach). I have tried everything from ground meat cooked and raw, fried egg, raw egg, ensure, "junk" dog foods, canned with gravy, meat broths, canned chicken, canned tuna, yogurt, plain dry dog food and I'm sure I missed a bunch but you get the idea! I have tried hand and spoon feeding also.

He will eat well after a good run at the dog park, but not today. I feel like I'm making things worse the more stuff I offer him. Am I missing something?

when my Onyx got up in age she got picky. And that's all it was. So to keep weight on her I gave her Ensure for weight gain. She loved it so at least I didn't have to worry about her losing a lot of weight during her fasting periods. But from what you've said, he sounds like something's bothering him. Can you afford a second opinion?

Something to consider.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?A=623

There is an approximately one in 1000 chances of a dog on carprofen developing nausea, appetite loss, vomiting or diarrhea. If any of the above are noted, carprofen should be discontinued and the dog brought in for a liver enzyme blood test. In most cases, the reaction is minor and resolves with symptomatic relief, but it is important to rule out whether or not the patient has more than just a routine upset stomach.

Guest Addie

Oh no! I wonder if that's it?? I did just up his dose from 1 pill a day to 2. Now his eating is worse then ever!!! Should I just stop giving it or do I need to get him in to the vet asap?

Guest FordRacingRon

Well I hope someone gives you a good idea because I have an 11 year old doing the same thing. She was always in our faces everyday at breakfast and dinner time,,now no way. And then you think you find something they like and it lasts for 2 days then it is like you're trying to put poison in her bowl. Mine was ultrasounded from eyeballs to butt hole and they found nothing and all her bloodwork is normal. We have seen an internist, a cardiologist and a neurologist. Nothing.

What you are feed sounds just like this house. This paragraph could have been written by me:

I have tried the tough love approach and if he did not eat I would pick up the food. He went with only a few bites for 3 days! I started adding canned, and so began the downward spiral of what to try next. He will eat something new for a few days, then not want it. He will always eat treats, he prefers the jerky type but will take any treat (I have been giving after his pills so they are not on an empty stomach). I have tried everything from ground meat cooked and raw, fried egg, raw egg, ensure, "junk" dog foods, canned with gravy, meat broths, canned chicken, canned tuna, yogurt, plain dry dog food and I'm sure I missed a bunch but you get the idea! I have tried hand and spoon feeding also.

The bit about jerky is spot on. If she could survive on jerky we would be okay.

Hope someone give you some greyt advice (we are goign tot he vet again tomorrow) that works for us too.

Good luck.

This is probably off, but maybe he has a parasite? My grey was just diagnosed with coccidiosis, and wouldn't touch food either, and as soon as he got the pills to eliminate the parasites, he started chowing again. But he also had diarrhea, which you don't mention with your dog. Still, if the vet didn't do a stool test, that might be worth a try.

Guest Addie

I was thinking of that too since he is over due for it. This morning he ate all his food and I gave him 2nd meal and he ate 2/3rds of it. (And its just dog food with some canned mixed in) Things are looking up I hope!

Guest chickenpotpie

Maybe possibly heat related? Lucky will not eat if its too hot. It used to scare me when she would do this but I've now come to expect it. Thankfully she dosen't do it for more than a day.

Guest IrskasMom

I have a picky Eater , but he has always been that way. No Chowhound here. It's always a worry of mine. I really have no Advice just Mega Hugs for London . Hopefully you can get to the bottom of it.

Same situation here with 13-yo Nutmeg, minus the horking. :dunno It's enough to make you tear your hair out.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Me too. Recently it has been a combo of hookworms, pain, and stomach acid/gas. Sometimes we'd give a Pepcid, Zantac, or Gas-X and he would eat within a half-hour. Ensure in a bowl next to his food bowl was a good trick too; he'd start with the Ensure (1/2 bottle at a time) and then transition over to his regular food. Good luck.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Bloodwork can be normal on a NSAID and still be tearing the stomach up.

Dogs don't stop eating because they are being picky. They only have two normal drives: food and sex (and we took the sex away :lol)

I've heard some not nice things about the elk antlers

Try stinky like jack mackeral

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest Addie

What have you heard about elk antler supplement? My friend gives it to her dogs too. All the company tells you is there are no side effects. I was thinking of taking it myself, but if its not good for you, I'll have to stop giving it to him too.

Guest FordRacingRon

Me too. Recently it has been a combo of hookworms, pain, and stomach acid/gas. Sometimes we'd give a Pepcid, Zantac, or Gas-X and he would eat within a half-hour. Ensure in a bowl next to his food bowl was a good trick too; he'd start with the Ensure (1/2 bottle at a time) and then transition over to his regular food. Good luck.

A couple of posts up I mentioned how my dog was exactly like the pup this thread is about. Over the last few months she has seen an internist, a cardiologist and a neurologist. I mentioned to everyone how she won't eat and the neurologist suggest maybe just give her a Pepcid before dinner. that does work sometimes.

BTW, I was at the vet again this week to get a change of meds for my dogs anxiety and he gave me a prescription for mirtazapine. I guess this is used for animals with cancer to boost their appetites after chemo or whatever. I tried giving her a half dose (I never give my dog a full dose of anything right out of the gate) and it turned her into an eating machine. When he weighed her she had lost 1 1/2 pounds in a month but the truth is she could stand to lose 3 or 4 more so that is no biggie. but with that drug I have to be careful now to not overfeed her. She weighs 75 pounds too (she is a big big girl though, tall and stocky).

Regarding the antler chews: it was a couple of years ago that one of the brands had a problem and I can't find it.

http://www.kptv.com/story/25258234/veterinarians-concerned-about-antler-chew-toys

I stopped feeding raw turkey necks when Mizzy fractured a tooth and the infection went up behind her eye (twice). Not pretty :)

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest Addie

Its a antler powder supplement that I give him for his arthritis, not a chew. I think its from the velvet or something, so that's safe I think.

I haven't read all the other responses but before doing huge, expsensive tests I would start with 2 quick and easy things:

1) fecal tests. Worms are SOOO common in Greys and even Grey savvy vets don't immediately test for it because it's not on their immediate radar.

2) Have the vet take his temp. Mason was just a little "off". Coughing and not eating (and my boy is a chow hound) and he had a low grade fever. 3 doses of antibiotics and he's back to his old self with a vengeance.

I wouldn't look for the zebra in the room until you've eliminated some obvious culprits.

Good luck. I hope your furbaby feels better soon.

Guest Addie

His temp was normal when I took him in, and I do have to bring in a poo sample (I just have to remember to get one)

I just took him in to the clinic and he gained 2 lbs in a little over a week! So I hope hes getting better.

Does anyone know, if it is indeed an ulcer from the carprofen how long until he feels better? He is still a bit picky (spoiled now maybe too???) And has anyone given Omeprazole (Prilosec) and Pepcid together? Or should I stop the Prilosec and give Pepcid only? We were giving the Prilosec because we were thinking he had reflux, but now my theory has changed to ulcer ( I think Pepcid is better for that???)

He seems in pretty good spirits considering he is not on any pain meds. I took him into the store to get some food for him and he was real happy about everything! Poor guy, he is the love of my life!

Sorry I haven't read the entire thread but, to answer your last post I would continue the omeprazole but do not start the Pepcid. If your hound does have a GI ulcer you should be giving also be giving carafate (sucralfate) every 8 hours.

Guest Addie

Is that just like raw honey? I have that on hand... but its not the manuka kind.

He is getting Carafate 2x a day, should I up it to 3x a day? I'm sure my vet will give me more.