Greyhound Got Paw Stuck In Crate!

Guest KatieAlice

Guest KatieAlice

It's the first day home for our new grey and just a few minutes ago she was walking back into her crate and she started yelping like crazy. As she was going in her paw got caught or something and she had a bad scare. She seems fine now.

It is a extra large crate by PetMate that our adoption group recommended! I'm very scared she'll get caught again..

That happened to by boy Silver too when we first got him 7 years ago. Simple fix, bath mat on the floor of his crate. This way they have to step into the crate, not run and slide. No problems for 7 years. Val ps welcome to the world og Greys.

Mom to Nodens( Carl Lackey)and Pywackett (kittie)

Guest Scouts_mom

One thing you need to know if you are sharing your home with a greyhound--they are drama queens (and kings). The seriousness of the injury is the direct inverse of the amount of noise they are making. My Henry stuck his foot into the crack on the couch between the seat and the back--OMG you would have thought he was being eaten alive by the couch. On the other hand he has a scrap on his leg that I have no idea where or when it occurred.

The second weekend I had my first hound, she screamed while playing and ran to me holding her paw up, telling me she would never be able to use her paw again. I, being a sucker, rushed her to the E-vet. By the time we got there, she had forgotten about the sore paw and the vet could find nothing wrong. Lesson learned. Now, unless I see blood or something obvious is wrong, I treat screams with sympathy, petting and a cookie. After a nap, if they seem to still be hurting, I think about going to the vet.

It's amazing how, as time goes by, you'll react differently to things. You'll get used to blood, "open wound management" and all kinds of fun things. Glad that it wasn't anything serious. :)

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Congrats on the new grey! You're in the right place, GT is a wealth of knowledge!

Our dog is a drama queen, too. We run to screams (on this board called GSOD-Greyhound scream of death) and make sure he isn't stuck on something.

He's snagged a nail on throw rugs, and once got his lip caught in a crevice of a rawhide--painful but easily solved.

If he limps, or holds up the paw in "I'll never walk again" angst, we yell "treat" or "cookie!" and dash into the kitchen to get one. 99% of the time, he forgets about the drama and runs/gallops/trots in for a cookie. (This works best if you can have one person lag behind as a "spotter" to see if there's a limp while going for the cookie.)

If he doesn't go for the cookie, is still favoring the limb later in the day, is red, swollen, puffy or bleeding, then we call the vet.

As she was going in her paw got caught or something and she had a bad scare. She seems fine now.

Glad it sounds like nothing a few extra treats in the crate can't cure. :)

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter