One Walk Or Two -- How Do You Know?

Guest greyhound_in_LA

Guest greyhound_in_LA

I'm not quite sure how many walks we're supposed to take our greyhound on every day: one or two? I've been doing two every day, but is one longer walk in the morning better than two 30-minute walks?

Well, there's no human law about how often you're supposed to go on walks. Many greyhounds have strong opinions on the subject, however. :) I'm assuming you have a yard for routine potty breaks since your choices range from just 1 to 2 walks. I think it's whatever suits you and your hound the best, depending on activity level of human and hound, how fast/far you walk, your scheduling needs, the weather, and who knows what else.

I used to take my greys for a 1+ mile walk every morning and a 1/2 mile walk every evening. One winter evening the weather was especially nasty and I decided no walk. Dear Baz came inquiring a few minutes past the usual time. "Give me a break, " I told him. "It's 20 degrees and sleeting out there." Bazzy dejectedly went away, but returned in a few minutes, carrying one of my walking shoes. He dropped it at my feet and playbowed. We went for a walk. Baz pranced with delight in the sleet. My other hound, bundled up like a babushka and head hanging down like Eeyore's, made it clear she was calling the ASPCA if we ever made it back alive. One dog's meat is another dog's poison.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest greyhound_in_LA

Yes, we have a yard for potty breaks and zoomies or flirt pole exercise. Walks are like 1/2 mile but the first third is uphill. I guess we'll stick to two per day?

Thanks so far.

Do you enjoy your walks? If so, then please keep them up.

Once they become a routine, though, your hound(s) will come to expect them.

I'm currently watching a friends' hounds for a couple of days ... and having moments of regret that my hounds are used to 3-4 walks/day. (I refuse to walk 4 hounds together ... because SOMEONE will certainly pee on one of the other hounds).

How do you know? Well... Greyhounds don't like hot weather other than to lay in the sun for a few minutes. So in Summer I ensure that Peggy's 3 walks are something like... 30 minutes before 8am, back garden access with shade and water as needed during the day, an hour at 5pm in the park or similar (shorter if still very hot), and half an hour at 8.30 or 9pm around the block. This last one can become the main walk if the day has been ridiculously hot.

Some days we don't walk at all

:eek

Especially in the summer ... My guys don't like the heat.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I've got a large, fenced back yard. Annie uses it to go P&P and to take naps. Therefore, we take at least two walks a day, but I'm also retired and most days can do that with no problem. On good summer days (meaning low humidity and dew point), we'll do three walks, with the middle one being about half a mile and the first and last ones being about a mile.

In the winter, most days we do two walks though I admit this past winter, when we often had wind chills below zero, there were days we only walked once and it was a very short walk.

You asked if one longer walk is better than two shorter walks. I don't know if one is better than the other, but I think it would be more fun/enjoyable for both of you to take two walks.....OK.. maybe it would be more enjoyable for your hound, which is how I often look at life. :-)

Edited by Feisty49

Guest greyhound_in_LA

OK, awesome, thanks, everyone.

It's been hot in LA, so anything past 10am to 7pm is out of the question. We walk later at 7:45 or 8pm now. I'm actually looking forward to later fall temperatures.

love your siggy. 1-3 walks around here, depending on time off, the weather and which dog is the most interested that day! My almost 14 yr old does not walk as much as my 8 yr old. My 11 yr old ( that I just lost) would walk anytime, anywhere, anyhow all day long!!

ho5U2p6.jpg?1

One winter evening the weather was especially nasty and I decided no walk. Dear Baz came inquiring a few minutes past the usual time. "Give me a break, " I told him. "It's 20 degrees and sleeting out there." Bazzy dejectedly went away, but returned in a few minutes, carrying one of my walking shoes. He dropped it at my feet and playbowed. We went for a walk. Baz pranced with delight in the sleet. My other hound, bundled up like a babushka and head hanging down like Eeyore's, made it clear she was calling the ASPCA if we ever made it back alive.

:rotfl

So adorable that he brought you your shoes! Even as much as I detest winter (especially this past winter we had :blink: ) I don't think I could resist that! I am dying laughing though, at the descriptions of the 2! My Sammi would definitely be the bundled up Eeyore. She hates extreme weather. Too hot or too cold or too humid... she darts in and out to get her business done.

This is going to be our first Winter with Lynni & River. And, I think, River's first real snow. Oh yes, Camera will be charged and ready to go at the first hint of white stuff!

Guest Lillypad

I want to share with you the fact that walking your dog is absolutely the best and most wonderful way to bond with your hound. Am I correct in assuming you and your hound are starting a new relationship, if so you will be amazed at how walking will benefit this relationship. This became so clear to me when I first got my hound. We walked everywhere and in every environment and each day I could see our relationship getting stronger. If the conditions are right, I feel you can't have too many walks. Enjoy your walks together you can't have a better walking companion than a dog. And welcome to Greytalk and the wonderful world of greyhounds.

BTW... Coe dream sequence is very cute, gave me a chuckle cause I am sure they all share this dream at some point. LOL

Assuming your hound is getting at least 5 or 6(+) potty breaks per day, whatever walks your hound is comfortable doing in coolest weather is usually fine; however, please keep the following in mind:

Newly retired Greyhounds often have very soft, tender paw pads. Retired racers are 30 second sprinters. They are not automatically conditioned to endure long walks, especially on hard surface sidewalks/pavement in urban areas.

Many newly retired hounds need to build walking endurance and toughen their paw pads very gradually over a couple of months (e.g., increase very brief walks by about 5 minutes every 3-5 days). If too much walking too soon, paw pads can become blistered and worn down raw, especially during summer. (As you probably already realize, hot pavement can seriously burn paw pads, which can take a very long time to heal.) Great that you walk in very early morning or later evening. :)

If a hound experiences separation anxiety, the longer walk before owner leaves for work may help the hound rest during owner's absence.

Other new readers: Coolest time to walk hounds is around sunrise (or after sunset). The very hottest time of day is usually between 2 PM and 6 PM, or 7 PM. Sidewalk/pavement retains heat for a long time after sun has long since rotated off. If ever in question, place your own hand on pavement/sidewalk for a minute. If too warm on your hand, it will be too warm for your Greyhound's paw pads. New dog owners may find it helpful to check Internet weather sites expected "hourly" temperatures for your city. Greyhounds are extremely sensitive to heat. (We try to walk Greyhounds when the temp. is under about 72 degrees.)

BTW, If stopping to chat with someone for a moment, please move with your hound into shade. Good to check hound's paw pads periodically after walks too. :)

ah, well was gonna comment that greyhounds are so sweet that they are made of sugar and thus they insist they cannot go out in the rain and can hold it till tomorrow - or next week - but as you are in LA, rain is a rare experience. if it does rain you might be able to unhook their claws from the door frame to which they are hanging on to for dear life, and get them out in the wet. they'll know better next time tho & hide.

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

In my opinion, two walks are better simply because they spread the fun out and give your dog two exciting things to do each day instead of one. It's also a wonderful way to spend time with them and help them to integrate into your family because there are endless training opportunities on a walk and it's a very companionable and nice thing to do. I mean that in a 'dog' way, as much as in a 'human' way, (like, for instance, sitting talking to them or stroking them, etc), because it's kind of like meeting them halfway as a species since dogs so looove to walk.

Now, having said that, there are dogs out there (particularly some greyhounds) who really do not seem to enjoy walking that much, so in a sense, you have to be guided by 1) your dog and 2) your knowledge of what's best for your dog. Lazing around all day without any exercise at all is bad for them, just as it's bad for us. Encouraging a 'lazy' hound to go out for a walk is something we do for their own good, and if you have a lazy hound, then one walk a day may suit you better. Sounds as if you don't have a lazy hound, though. I bet your dog enjoys his/her two walks, no?

Splitting the walking time into two sessions is useful when you first get your greyhound to condition them. They will have spent a lot of time being inactive (unless they were fostered in a home where walking was the norm) and may have tender pads or be limited by old racing injuries. It's also useful for the seniors: it's a fact that dogs with arthritis or low exercise tolerance will still benefit from exercise but will do better with two or more short sessions rather than one long one. :)

I used to take my greys for a 1+ mile walk every morning and a 1/2 mile walk every evening. One winter evening the weather was especially nasty and I decided no walk. Dear Baz came inquiring a few minutes past the usual time. "Give me a break, " I told him. "It's 20 degrees and sleeting out there." Bazzy dejectedly went away, but returned in a few minutes, carrying one of my walking shoes. He dropped it at my feet and playbowed. We went for a walk. Baz pranced with delight in the sleet. My other hound, bundled up like a babushka and head hanging down like Eeyore's, made it clear she was calling the ASPCA if we ever made it back alive. One dog's meat is another dog's poison.

:spoot:lol

We had a pair like this once; Jack & Renie, the dogs in my siggie. Jack adored to go out in high winds and driving rain or snow. Renie loathed bad weather. So we'd have one little dog forging ahead into the wind, head up, eyes slitted against the blast and ears flying behind him, almost with a grin on his face and prancing along, and one 'Eeyore', dragging behind bundled up to the nines, reluctance writ large in every dainty line of her body. She'd cower behind her person, refusing to put her foot into a puddle or deep snow, and only pick up the pace when our front door was in sight once more!

We called them The Princess and The Pirate. :wub:

I want to share with you the fact that walking your dog is absolutely the best and most wonderful way to bond with your hound. Am I correct in assuming you and your hound are starting a new relationship, if so you will be amazed at how walking will benefit this relationship. This became so clear to me when I first got my hound. We walked everywhere and in every environment and each day I could see our relationship getting stronger. If the conditions are right, I feel you can't have too many walks. Enjoy your walks together you can't have a better walking companion than a dog. And welcome to Greytalk and the wonderful world of greyhounds.

:nod :nod :nod

Edited by silverfish

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest greyhound_in_LA

Many newly retired hounds need to build walking endurance and toughen their paw pads very gradually over a couple of months (e.g., increase very brief walks by about 5 minutes every 3-5 days). If too much walking too soon, paw pads can become blistered and worn down raw, especially during summer. (As you probably already realize, hot pavement can seriously burn paw pads, which can take a very long time to heal.) Great that you walk in very early morning or later evening. :)

Yes, thanks, it's too hot for anyone to walk from noon to 6pm, so we wait until 7:30 or so. I noticed the same people with dogs on our walks, so I know our timing is fine.

We have urban coyotes here, so every once in a while we may spot one or a pair.

I started putting Musher's Secret on Coe's paw pads on the first day of walking. It's hard for me to gauge how much walking he got when he was at the blood bank. They have 150-200 greyhounds there and not enough kennel staff to provide long walks to each dog every day. Volunteers help out there, but also it's hard to gauge that.

I love your siggy, too! Depending on the dog, one-half mile can be *plenty* far, especially since you have to factor in the hill. Mine like to go for a short walk in the morning and a longer walk in the evening when we (they :lol) have more time to check / leave messages. You will figure out what Coe enjoys, and it truly is a wonderful time to bond with your dog.

We also have coyotes, Seamie recently wrote about a very special encounter. Man, I miss that dog.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

We do half an hour in the morning--that's what we can handle before work. When it's not too hot, we'll go back to our habit of longer (usually an hour) walks in the evening. We do have to monitor Leo's stress load--too many sightings of other dogs and he starts to get overwhelmed and we'll head back early.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Depending on the dog, one-half mile can be *plenty* far, especially since you have to factor in the hill. Mine like to go for a short walk in the morning and a longer walk in the evening when we (they :lol) have more time to check / leave messages. You will figure out what Coe enjoys, and it truly is a wonderful time to bond with your dog.

:nod

Sammi used to love 3 mile walks in the morning when town was quiet. Now, she can't handle 3 blocks without a pain pill when she gets home. :(

Lynni is done after a mile. She is so bouncy and energetic in the house, tho, that I am not too worried.

River will walk as long as I am willing to. She has no limit that I have found so far.

Our weather has been so weird this summer, that we haven't really had any pattern to our walks. More of a "Hey, it's not too hot, I don't need to become a Antihistamine Zombie yet, it's not raining, it's not too cold! Let's go before Mother Nature changes her mind!" (Seriously... Almost August and we have a "Wind Chill listed this morning?!" <_< ) Thank God for the quiet Dog Park here in town. If it's been a few days without a good walk for L&R, we can take them down there when it's empty and let them burn off energy. 10 minutes of running around like toddlers on Red Bull and they are happy.

Edited by Gryffenne

Guest greyhound_in_LA

Last night I took Coe out for his last pee break, and there were three large coyotes at the end of the street. Oh, boy, the stares that were exchanged.

We do 1 or two depending on the weather and the energy level of our dog. If he gets sassy, he needs a walk. If he's limping, panting excessively, or starting to show wear spots on his paw pads, we shorten walks or limit to one a day. He NEEDS one #2 walk every 24 hours, he LIKES 2 if we have time and the scary wind isn't making the trees swish too much (freaks the dog out). We discovered when he was recovering from an injured paw that although he almost always needs a walk to go # 2, gods bless him, he'll drop a deuce by the side of the house if he's hurting (Good doggie!).

As our dog has gotten older, he seems to be as excited for walks as ever, but he gets tired sooner once he gets out there.

Sort answer, you'll know what works best for your dog. If he's still too sassy, walk (or do zoomies) more, if he's tired and you have to drag him home, or you see signs of him being sore, lay off a bit.

Last night I took Coe out for his last pee break, and there were three large coyotes at the end of the street. Oh, boy, the stares that were exchanged.

:nod Very special. Here is that story I mentioned earlier. Thank you for indulging me.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I love your siggy, too! Depending on the dog, one-half mile can be *plenty* far, especially since you have to factor in the hill. Mine like to go for a short walk in the morning and a longer walk in the evening when we (they :lol) have more time to check / leave messages. You will figure out what Coe enjoys, and it truly is a wonderful time to bond with your dog.

We also have coyotes, Seamie recently wrote about a very special encounter. Man, I miss that dog.

We all miss Seamie. We just do.