Any Experiences With Cooling Coats?

I have just bought Johnny a lightweight rain mac for those typically rainy summer days here, it is much thinner than his lined winter coat which he would get too hot in.

It is actually supposed to double up as a "cooling" coat for hot weather as it is made from a reflective material which is supposed to deflect heat away from the body. Does anybody have any experience with this kind of coat (as opposed to the ones that you wet that cool by evaporation). I have searched online for reviews to no avail.

I am just wondering at what point would the cooling effect of the deflection of outside heat be overridden by the heat build up under the coat?

I intend to use it as a rain mac.....but just wonder if it would help keep him cool, what with him being black and having a very thin coat.

Btw. He does look like an adorable "space dog" in the coat :hehe

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

Guest Lillypad

Sorry, not scientific enough to comment on this. But my laymen brain thinks it would keep heat in, but what do I know. I did buy two of these, sewed them together, put a piece on chest part, and velcro straps. It cost about 35 dollars as opposed to some cooling jackets I saw for sale in the 100 range. Works great, but not so much in high humidity.

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=458083-49433-103701&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=4751319&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=rel&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

That's what I thought too, but it will still make a lovely rain mac. Your homemade coat seems like a good idea, and like you said they do seem to be very expensive. We also tend to have very high humidity when it's hot here which may make any sort of cooling coat a non starter.

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

Guest GreytOD

Pepper has a cooling coat that works by reflecting UV rays, and it does a very good job of keeping him cool. BUT its made out of a very small gauge mesh; I don't think it would keep him very dry in the rain. (Coat can be seen here)

He also has a rain mac, which we ordered from England (this one- seems the seller is away so the image isn't showing up). It's an unlined nylon coat, so solid, and does a great job in the rain and is very lightweight, but it is hot and traps a lot of heat under it- there is no way I'd put it on him as a cooling coat.

Edited by GreytOD

Guest Lillypad

Checked out the coat GreytOD, that is a nice looking coat and the price is a steal. I sew and won't even bother to sew one at that price. Thanks for the link

Pepper has a cooling coat that works by reflecting UV rays, and it does a very good job of keeping him cool. BUT its made out of a very small gauge mesh; I don't think it would keep him very dry in the rain. (Coat can be seen here)

He also has a rain mac, which we ordered from England (this one- seems the seller is away so the image isn't showing up). It's an unlined nylon coat, so solid, and does a great job in the rain and is very lightweight, but it is hot and traps a lot of heat under it- there is no way I'd put it on him as a cooling coat.

Thanks for the info, the cooling coat is a very good price :)

Is it like this one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Greyhound-Whippet-Dual-KEEP-KOOL-Dry-Sun-Rain-Coat-/280354975801?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Kitchen_Steamers_Cookers_PP&hash=item4146757039#ht_1023wt_722

If so, yes Doc has one. Gets more use as a raincoat but I used to find it helpful when he was a PAT dog. We visited a local day centre at lunchtime, which meant a short walk but along pavements. Some had no shade and on a hot sunny day the reflective coat did seem to help, though I wouldn't have used it for a long walk.

And yes, they do look cute, and I'm afraid that whenever I put Doc's on, I say to him 'Greyhounds in Spa-a-a-ace!' (Maybe you remember 'Pigs in Space', from the Muppet Show? :lol:)

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Is it like this one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Greyhound-Whippet-Dual-KEEP-KOOL-Dry-Sun-Rain-Coat-/280354975801?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Kitchen_Steamers_Cookers_PP&hash=item4146757039#ht_1023wt_722

If so, yes Doc has one. Gets more use as a raincoat but I used to find it helpful when he was a PAT dog. We visited a local day centre at lunchtime, which meant a short walk but along pavements. Some had no shade and on a hot sunny day the reflective coat did seem to help, though I wouldn't have used it for a long walk.

And yes, they do look cute, and I'm afraid that whenever I put Doc's on, I say to him 'Greyhounds in Spa-a-a-ace!' (Maybe you remember 'Pigs in Space', from the Muppet Show? :lol:)

:lol of course I remember the "pigs in space" muppets skit....I just kept having that Babylon Zoo song http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xdta4_babylon-zoo-spaceman_news in my head all day long!

Thanks for the info, that is the coat...at least it will make a good mac :)

Guest LazyBlaze

:lol of course I remember the "pigs in space" muppets skit....I just kept having that Babylon Zoo song http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xdta4_babylon-zoo-spaceman_news in my head all day long!

Thanks for the info, that is the coat...at least it will make a good mac :)

:bgeorge Blaze has one of these silver coats as well, we call it his David Bowie coat. It's a slightly cheaper version than the one on the link, silver with black ties. I am not sure how well it works to deflect heat to be honest but we use it anyway on short walks. An easy-dry towel soaked in water and wrung out again has been keeping him cool in the garden lately, where it's been warm even in the shade - very unusual for Glasgow!

:bgeorge Blaze has one of these silver coats as well, we call it his David Bowie coat. It's a slightly cheaper version than the one on the link, silver with black ties. I am not sure how well it works to deflect heat to be honest but we use it anyway on short walks. An easy-dry towel soaked in water and wrung out again has been keeping him cool in the garden lately, where it's been warm even in the shade - very unusual for Glasgow!

It must be the Commonwealth Games that made the sun show up in your part of the world...it worked like that for us down here with the Olympics :)

Funny that you should call it his David Bowie coat....when I tried it on him DH said....ooh look, Ziggy Stardust! :rofl