Sometimes Absolutely Refuses To Go Up The Stairs

Guest shanesmom

Guest shanesmom

We live in a second floor apartment condo. Stairs are a must. Ace has been going up and down several times a day for almost 3 years. He is not afraid of them. This summer though I have been having an impossible time getting him up if women are outside. He refuses and freezes and even sits in front of the start of the stairs. Just won't go until the woman or women he has seen in the parking lot have either gotten into their car or went into the building. Problem is it's nice out and sometimes they stop and chat amongst each other or walk laps around the parking lot and he will not go up until they're gone. He wants to be petted. He does not do this if it's a man or child since he's afraid of men and children. At first I could bribe him with a treat which I faithfully carry in my pocket now. That stopped working. Not even for a piece of hot dog. I tricked him a few times by throwing a squeeky toy up and he chased it. That no longer woks. He is 90 pounds and I can not carry him. Can't place one foot on the stairs. He just pulls it right back down. The only entrance faces the parking lot and he can see the entire lot. Today took forever. 3 women were talking for quite a while and I just had to wait the entire time.

Don't give him the chance to stop and sit down. Start walking faster a few steps before the door and really rush him right up the stairs - encouraging and using a SUPER YUMMY treat the whole time. You may need to up the value of the treat significantly - only use this treat for this purpose, other wise it will lose it's specialness. Liverwurst, cheese, pieces of roasted chicken, dehydrated liver/tripe - something smelly will keep his interest better.

Best to try and not even let him get focused on random women in the parking lot. Use a "watch me" command as soon as you see there might be a distraction for him. Keep up a running commentary to keep him focused on you and not them. Have a nice little party when you get to the top!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest shanesmom

Can you ask the women to be his "reward" at the top of the stairs?

Good idea. I certainly can't ask everyone but they are often neighbors we do know who would be happy to help.

Guest shanesmom

I can try the focus thing greysmom. I thought hot dogs would have been a good enough treat. They're not something he otherwise gets. I have a can of tuna here. I'll put some in a bag when we go out later.

One quick question please. Do I reward with the tuna tonight when we come up just for going up or only if he goes up while women are outside? He has no problem going up if no one is out.

This stair thing must be going around because Tango decided he has forgotten how to go up stairs that started about Monday or so. Yet he goes up the back stairs to the yard to go potty & also the first set of KT stairs but the stairs to the 2nd floor he refuses.

I can try the focus thing greysmom. I thought hot dogs would have been a good enough treat. They're not something he otherwise gets. I have a can of tuna here. I'll put some in a bag when we go out later. One quick question please. Do I reward with the tuna tonight when we come up just for going up or only if he goes up while women are outside? He has no problem going up if no one is out.

Every time he goes upstairs. Practice when no one is out there. Up and down, over and over.

Guest shanesmom

Ok just took him out for a potty. No problem going up because no one was out but I still made a super big deal out of it praising him just for going up and gave him a little bit of tuna which he was crazy for. I'll keep doing it and hopefully when people are out tomorrow he looks forward to the tuna and praise and still goes up.

Rachael is right. For a while, reward him with a little party and super yummo treats every time he gets to the top of the stairs without stopping or stalling.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly