What To Do With A Giant Freezer Burned Turkey?

My fridge died. I'll be getting a new one this weekend. The freezer is fine, but I don't want to transfer scary old crap into the new freezer and then never do anything with it. Sooo, do I ask my Dad to chainsaw the beast into usable chunks? Toss the dogs outside with the turkey-sicle for a day or three? (maybe inviting friends' hounds over for an hour of chew time each?) Just put it out for trash?

I don't remember why I even have it...

Guest KPS915

Not sure. 3, 4 years? Haven't dug back to where it's been "living" yet!

Kim, the effing fridge came back to life Sunday, then crapped out again Monday. Thank god for the kegerator! We have beer, milk, butter, and cheese!

You have all the necessities!

How the heck did you have a turkey in the freezer for 4 years? I definitely wouldn't feed it to a human and not sure I'd chance it for the beasts if it's 4 years old. The inter webs say they're safe to freeze for a year.

I would thaw, hack it in half with some really nice chicken shears (super sharp) and let each pup have a giant feast in the yard. No other food needed that day!

Half a turkey per dog? Wow. They would love it, and bone in turkey gives better output than green bag. But half a turkey seems like a lot of chow.

You have all the necessities!

How the heck did you have a turkey in the freezer for 4 years? I definitely wouldn't feed it to a human and not sure I'd chance it for the beasts if it's 4 years old. The inter webs say they're safe to freeze for a year.

I get free turkeys from work, and so do hubby and Mom. I always give my turkey away to a coworker, but somehow we ended up with an extra one once, and then didn't eat it. Seriously don't remember when.

My dogs regularly get different sizes meals depending on what I pull out of the freezer. I'll feed a large meal, then a few smaller ones for the next couple days. You just can't measure out the exact portions when you feed whole hunks.

------

Jessica

My dogs regularly get different sizes meals depending on what I pull out of the freezer. I'll feed a large meal, then a few smaller ones for the next couple days. You just can't measure out the exact portions when you feed whole hunks.

What do you think of the age thing? How old is too old?

My friend's mom always has freezer burned organic beef that she wants to throw away. I snatch it right up for the dogs. I would totally cut that up and feed it to my dog, but I feed raw so am comfortable with it. If you aren't comfortable, you could always boil or roast it, shred off the meat, and put in the freezer for training, kong stuffers, treats, etc. It might be freezer burned and dry, but it isn't like it would be rotten or anything. Dogs aren't so picky!

Edited by RedHead

Saw it up into useable chunks and feed it frozen - semi frozen, the hounds will love it. Mine have gotten a lot of freezer burned stuff; it's still filling & nutritious and even though the taste and texture would turn us off the hounds love it :D

gallery_13728_3197_7131.jpg

Charla, Mom to Carl ( Bella Monsoon ) 5/2002 - 9/2016 and remembering Gracie Rose ( Cee Bar Xtreme ) 2/2002 - 1/2014

Back in 1998 when I moved my parents in with me due to their Alzheimer's I brought their freezer too. It was FULL. And much of the meat in it was more than 10 years in that freezer. I didn't eat it, but I did thaw it and feed it to my dogs. The texture was a bit off, and it was freezer burnt, but the dogs didn't care about that. None of my dogs got sick from it.

Just last fall I cooked a turkey that I'd had for 3 or 4 years in my freezer. I didn't eat it, but fed it to the dogs as an added extra to their dog food, a little bit at a time. Froze the cooked turkey in bags that would give me about 3 or 4 days of meat at a time for the dogs. The dogs REALLY loved it! I really hate to waste food, especially when the dogs can benefit from it.

I wouldn't give them a large piece of raw turkey if they are not used to it, small bits as a snack or a bit added to their dinners would probably be safer.