Newly Adopted Greyhound, A Few Questions And Any Other Advice Welcome&

Guest lestersmom

Guest lestersmom

I can't wait to introduce them! I typically take Basil to the Schuylkill River Dog Park - is that too far for you? I'm not sure of any dog parks between the two of us - do you know of any? There is the Marian Anderson Recreation Center, which might be more equidistant, but I don't think there is any fenced in area for off-leash playing, but a walk would work, too! (PS - not sure if we should move this particular part of the conversation to a private message thing?).

We've only been going to a dog park on south and 11th...but we have wanted to try the Schuylkill River Dog Park!!

You can add me to facebook (Ginny Kirsch) or email me at ginnylnnkirsch@gmail.com :)

Just a quick note about your alone-training... you need to actually leave the property. our greys would howl and whine if we just stepped outside, but if we leave (walk around the block or drive away) they just lie down.

Just wanted to encourage you to not just shut the door and listen, but actually leave and that might help him get used to your being gone.

as others have said patience and time! Enjoy your new hound!

Amy and Tim in Beverly, MA, with Chase and Always missing Kingsley (Drama King) and Ruby (KB's Bee Bopper).

Welcome! I'll second or third…. what the others said. It's totally normal. Shadow layer around like a lump, a wary lump and didn't eat much at first, and he does eat less in the summer. Give your dog time. He'll eat when he's hungry. Keep posting here, there's a lot of information available for new adopters!

(And for not new adopters when something unexpected happens!)