Clicker Training

I am having a hard time training my new greyhound to lay down, or really any basic commands beyond "up", "off", "wait", and "come". I was thinking about trying clicker training but don't have any experience.

I found Karen Pryor, Getting Started: Clicker Training for Dogs Kit (http://www.amazon.com/Karen-Pryor-Getting-Started-Training/dp/B0002UVIB8), and it seems like a good place to start. Does anyone have any experience with clicker training or this kit in particular?

dog-love.png

I started clicker training when Spriet was about 9 years old. She was always very eager to learn, but at one of the classes the trainers recommended a clicker so I gave it a try.

It worked out great, it makes training so much easier. I don't use it all the time, but if I want to learn Spriet a new trick I always use the clicker, because the timing is much more precise than when I use my voice.

Anne, Sasha & Tapas. Spriet (2002-2015), Tibbie (2000-2015) and Gunda (1996-2009)

www.sighthoundgoodies.com

anne_sas3gt_bbuveb.jpg

Check out Michael Ellis- one of the most renowned trainers in the world. You can get his dvd's and LOTS of training articles and other information at www.leerburg.com

(can't get link to work you'll have to type in or cut and paste it)

You can't go wrong if you get the Michael Ellis training with markers and training with food dvd's. They are pricey but you get what you pay for. Whatever you do stay away from the el cheapo Pet Smart type training philosophy's. The main thing is engagement and you have to have that before you can accomplish anything else. Thats prolly why you are not having much success.You will be astounded what an Einstein of a dog you have if you marker train him per Michael Ellis :) Personally I don't use the clicker to mark a behavior I use my voice("yes") but if you are more comfortable marking behavior that way it is fine. It doesn't really matter what you use as your marker. The important thing is the positive reinforcement. I have trained greyhounds to do OODLES of things...all the basics plus sitting up, playing dead, rolling over, speaking, opening and closing doors etc you name it. There is a ton of info on that website in training article section and video section as well, and most of it is free.

Edited by racindog

Whatever you do stay away from the el cheapo Pet Smart type training philosophy's.

Is the system I linked to above what you would consider Pet Smart type training philosophies or are you talking about the classes Pet Smart actually offers?

dog-love.png

As for lay down, we have tried and tried with no success. We're tried having him go under our legs, which I've read as a way to train greyhounds to lay down, but Jake just went around (he's really fast!) Today I started getting treats, putting them in my closed hands, and sitting in front of his bed. I waited him out, which was not easy because he was excited by the smell of the treat. He finally gave up and lay down. Immediate "yes" and treat. And again... he still hasn't totally got it but he's getting better after just two sessions. Use their natural laziness!

jakesigsmall_zps254e191c.jpg

Photographer in Phoenix, AZ www.northmountainphoto.com

Why not find a local school that teaches using positive reinforcement techniques and enroll in a beginner class? Training is a skill that you have to learn just like anyone else and it's much easier to do that when you're getting feedback from an actual person. :)

As for training down, try doing it when he's on the bed or at the top of the steps. Get something really yummy, hold it under his nose and then move it down and in toward his toes. If you do it when he's on the bed or at the top of the stairs he's more likely to actually lay down, less options. :)

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest CleverJason

As for lay down, we have tried and tried with no success. We're tried having him go under our legs, which I've read as a way to train greyhounds to lay down, but Jake just went around (he's really fast!) Today I started getting treats, putting them in my closed hands, and sitting in front of his bed. I waited him out, which was not easy because he was excited by the smell of the treat. He finally gave up and lay down. Immediate "yes" and treat. And again... he still hasn't totally got it but he's getting better after just two sessions. Use their natural laziness!

Yes! This was the trick for me, too. I just gave him a treat every time he laid down (well, not every time...he'd clean me out in a day), consistently enough that he learned it was a desired behavior. That was enough to get the ball rolling.

She seems to be getting idea that I want her to lay down, but every time I tell her to lay down she jumps up on the couch and lays on the pillows. She seems to think I want her to get on the couch.

So train in a room where there isn't a couch.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."