Eddi Had A Dental

Guest greytone

Guest greytone

Hi guys! Its me again posting about my little peanut, Eddi.

Eddi has her dental yesterday and everything went very well. However, she lost 19 teeth! (I knew her teeth were bad when I got her in May but I didn't realize how bad. I guess I should have figured this out when we had one fall out of her mouth.) Her teeth were extremely rotten and the vet didnt have to work too hard to get the bad teeth out.

Anyways, my question to everyone is...what can I feed her now? She doesn't have many teeth left. My vet recommended not doing a raw diet or anything like that. He actually said to give her normal food once her mouth heals. Her gums will harden and help break down the food.

Please note: Eddi is a healthy 7 year old. She will be 8 in August. I am trying to figure out a long term solution.

My girl Emmi lost 23 teeth at the age of 7....she eats regular kibble with warm water, she never chewed her food anyway :flip I do buy her the softer treats, and some brands of biscuits are more "crumbly" and therefore easier to eat. The Blue Buffalo Health Bars are a favorite here, the break up pretty easily and she doesn't seem to have any trouble. Emmi is going for another dental on Friday, she will probably lose another tooth that seems to be bothering her :(

Kisses to Eddi :wub:

gtsigtest5-31-1-1.jpg?t=1338477409
Mom to Emmi (WM Lickety Split) & Asia (Devious Walker)
Waiting at the Bridge: Shadow, Willow, Tony, Nina, Reggie, Sunny, Webb, Rosie, Rowdy, Ivy, Smoke & Raina

You can add water to her kibble to soften it until her gums heal.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Last year before she came to me (Foster)Sweet had her dental and lost 17 teeth. She turned 11 in February and she eats regular kibble with our add-ins. I say "eats" - inhales is more descriptive - she's a broodie and I guess that means you have to eat really fast :lol Cookies and treats are no problem. Feel better Eddi!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Arnica - a homeopathic remedy - is fabulous to give before and after dentals. It helps with the trauma and the bruising. Not expensive either. You can get it at any health food store.

Greyhound Gang also carries it with proceeds helping hounds.

Hounds have 42 teeth, so she'll do just fine on whatever food she likes. Initially, as suggested, wet the food until her gums heal.

Claudia & Greyhound Gang
100% Helps Hounds

GIG Bound!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest greytone

Thank you everyone for your concern and suggestions! Eddi is doing awesome! Her mouth is healed and she is gumming her food. I can't believe how fast she does eat her food now! LOL

Pretty sure the dental that she just had was her last because she only like a few teeth left. I'll have to take some pics of her mouth and post them on her.

Edited by greytone