Poodle My Poodle

Hubcitypam

In February 2002 I went to the K-Mart in Lubbock to get a Little Caesar's pizza. There was a young but grown poodle with a homemade Mohawk doing his best to get run over in the parking lot. I drove up to him, opened the car door and said "go for ride?" The poor guy had no idea what a ride the next 12 years would be. I went for a pizza and came home with a poodle.

He had no clue he'd be the boss of over 100 foster greyhounds, dogsitting clients like Beemer the Bouvier and assorted other dogs his Mother found on the porch (Pomeranian) or drug home to get into rescue or back home - black and tan coonhound, setter, pit bulls, GSDs, terriers, husky, labs and many more.

In Lubbock I bought a buster ball. At the time I'd usually have four to six foster greys plus my two. None would have anything to do with the buster ball but there'd be a whole bunch of them happily following Poodle down the hall as he rolled it sharing in his spoils.

For more than 12 years we were only separated a couple of times. One of those was when I went back to lL for a month and left him with my sister. My cell rang and a woman said "do you have a poodle?" I said I did and she said "I had my front door open and he just walked into my bathroom while I was putting on my makeup". I asked her if she lived near 3502 Waverly and she said she yes so I asked her to please deliver him back where he belonged.

One year my friend Susan and I went to a dog play day at the Cotton Bowl. We had our 2 greys, Poodle and her whippet. Suddenly we realized Poodle was AWOL. We leashed up the other 3 and asked the Boy Scouts manning the top of the ramp if they'd seen a poodle with a Mohawk. They pointed and said "he went thataway". We found that the hunky vet at the SPCA trailer had nabbed him and he was cooling his heels there. Fair Park is completely enclosed so he couldn't have gone far.

Then we moved to East Texas for 8 months so I could get help. On the way there as I was unloading my suitcase out of the car at the Ryder place he popped out and disappeared. I was hysterical as it was on a busy road. I alerted the guys and we found him back in the service bays for the big rigs supervising everyone. He also personally supervised every contractor and workman that worked on two different older houses. Moving back from East Texas we had a diesel rental with cab over motor. I got out to get gas and before I could stop him he tried to follow - all the way down to the pavement which was probably 5 feet.
I know these snippets make me sound like the most irresponsible Mother ever, but they are my memorable moments of 12+ years. He was always a pistol which is how he ended up as Poodle. He started out with a name - Dusty - as he was the color of West Texas dust. In his salad days I'd admonish him with "poodle!!!!" and he was such a hellion soon he only answered to Poodle and Poodle the poodle came to be.

Run free in the stars Poodle my piddle. I love you so much.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest k9soul

So many poignant memories. Poodle obviously had an adventurous spirit. I'm so sorry you had to say goodbye. No matter how long they are with us, it is never enough. Thank you for sharing about Poodle's antics, may he run and explore to his heart's content at the Bridge, until you meet again.

:f_red

So sad to be saying goodbye to yet another of my favorite characters on GT. I'm so sorry he had to leave you, Pam, but he clearly left behind some wonderful memories to keep with you.

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

:f_pink It doesn't sound to me like you've been a bad Mom, it sounds like you and Poodle had a wonderful (if slightly nerve wracking) life together. I am so sorry that you have lost your dear friend, but glad that you have so many memories to enjoy.

Edited by scullysmum

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

Run free Poodle. You will be missed by so many people here on Grey Talk who have enjoyed hearing about your escapades over the years.

Sending you hugs and strength Pam.

He will never be forgotten.

Carol Ann.

:grouphug

gallery_9381_2904_4242.jpg

Molly Weasley Carpenter-Caro - 6 Year Old Standard Poodle.

Gizzy, Specky, Riley Roo & Lady - Our beloved Greyhounds waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

Oh, what wonderful memories Poodle has given you. I will miss hearing Poodle stories. :paw The little fella made a big impression.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

The crematorium said they might get him back tomorrow. His box will be oak not cedar as Buddy's should have been. They are going to fix Buddy's box tomorrow or Monday when they bring Poodle to me. It is such a relief to not have to go back to the vet to get his cremains.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

{{{{{{{{{{Pam}}}}}}}}}}

Godspeed, Poodle.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Sounds like you gave him a hell of a good time and were a good and loving Mother. Godspeed Poodle.

:nod He is off on his next adventure and no doubt already supervising at the Bridge.

I am very sorry for your loss, Pam.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Guest IrskasMom

Ohhhh Pam, I hoped , I would never have to read Poodle in Rememberance . Here we are Heartbroken with you . Sorry is not going to cut it . Pam :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug Godspeed Poodle :f_red

I was always delighted to read about Poodle. I am just so very sorry that it was time for him to leave you.

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.

Poodle sounds like such a wonderful little character and I'm sorry he had to leave. I used to have poodles and will always have a soft spot for them.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

I was so sad and sorry to read his name. He had a good life with you. Hold on to your memories.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Well this time he has left you to cross the bridge. He will be safe & waiting for you but I am sorry you have lost your good buddy

gallery_19924_3574_6591.jpg

Caroline, Mom to Daphne (49B-50215) and Penny (41D-55779)
Remembering Bridge Angels Margo and Sabrina

Pam, I'm so sorry Poodle had to leave. He was such a character, and whenever I think of him, I see him with the wild colored Mohawk! When you feel like it, can you share that picture with us again? Hugs.

tivvy-gigi-heaven-gabby-2.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Blaze, Rodney, Lady, Spice, Sarahlee, Callie and Baby

Guest goofydog

Godspeed Poodlum. You two shared some fantastic, if nerve wrenching, adventures. Poodle lives on in your heart and mind Pam. Thank you for sharing him with us. Hugs...