Enlarged Salivary Gland

Guest katieandpadfoot

Guest katieandpadfoot

Hi everyone. Thanks in advance for any responses. I have a 5 year old grey who was just at the vet for his annual check up. The vet noticed that on his right side his salivary gland is enlarged. He show'd me how to feel for it, and just told me to keep tract of it and if it would get bigger to bring him back. The vet did also mention that non of his lymph nodes where enlarged (made me feel a little better) Is this something I should be more proactive about....and maybe push for it to be examined further? Or just let it go for a little and keep tract of it?

My Cash ended up in the e-vet hospital almost exactly a year ago due to an infected salivary gland. The gland was on the right side, right in back of her jaw hinge - sort of under the ear - probably right about where your boy's is.

From my research and what the e-vet told me, there really isn't much to do except watch it and treat the symptoms. You can try to surgically remove the affected gland, but there's no guarantee you get the right one, or that it won't migrate to another gland. It's more prevelant in some other breeds, from what I can remember. There doesn't seem to be any common mechanism for causing the problem like a trauma, or disease. Sometimes, it just happens. :dunno

I didn't realize what was going on at first and delayed getting her into our regular vet. By the time I did, it was really too late, and I ended up taking her in to the e-vet a day later when her face blew up like a chipmunk! She had to have the infection lanced, and they cultured the goo to make sure we got the right antibiotic. It drained for four days, but she was all right then (after two weeks of ABs!). Now, I just watch it closely, and when it looks like it's happening again, I have a standing order at the vet for 10 days of ABs. With Cash, it starts manifesting as a UTI before I can feel the gland swelling - increased drinking and urination with lots of urgency to go out.

I would watch it like your vet said, but if it changes at all, get in and get some high powered antibiotics asap!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

For complete resolution surgery is required. If you decide to go surgical routine I highly suggest you have a board certified surgeon perform the procedure (or performed at a Univerisity).

See mucocele section---

http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/digestive_system/diseases_of_the_mouth_in_small_animals/salivary_disorders_in_small_animals.html

I'm sure if you google salivary mucocele you will see many other links

My girl had one that got pretty large on one side. She did not have an infection and we kept a close eye on it. It completely resolved on its own never to return?? We were not eager to do surgery and my vet said only if it was affecting swallowing, eating or if it had an infection. I can show you pictures if you want, but it completely went away one day just as oddly it appeared.

ho5U2p6.jpg?1

I adopted an eleven year old who had had the surgery many years before. Looks like it had been drained several times before that, but the infection kept coming back. She had a pouch hanging under her chin, but wasn't bothered by it. I had her for over two years, and never had an issue with it.

Good luck!

Bobber suddenly developed that. I have had 3 vets look at it. All 3 vets said the same thing. Don't worry about it unless it gets "hard" feeling and if it does get to feeling hard then call them. They said just leave it alone and don't worry about it that it was no biggie and not all that unusual.

Guest Fasave

My guy actually tore his salivary gland and it was blocking 1/3 of his airway so it needed to be surgically removed. I had it down by a very good soft tissue surgeon. It was a touch surgery that required a drain for a few days. It's a pretty significant surgery.

Yeah, we had an infected salivary gland as well. Needed surgical intervention - just blew up overnight. The vet was concerned that he'd gotten a fox tail seed caught in his mouth but it was an infection.

Here's a photo of him post op:

mtni8m.jpg

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.