Front Line Plus

Guest kar

Comfortis will have fleas dropping off your dog, dead, within 30-60 minutes. IT HAS TO BE GIVEN WITH FOOD.

Some dogs experience side effects even when given with food.

Read the package carefully before making the decision to use it or not.

Edited by june

Frontline Plus is very widely used on greyhounds with a wide margin of safety (and all of mine have used it with no ill effects).

For a flea problem though, I have found that Advantage works very, very well (more so than Frontline) and also has a wide margin of safety. If you have ticks too Frontline might be the better bet, but if what you want is just a bunch of dead fleas I'd go with Advantage.

A quick call to your vet should help you decide if the product you want to use is safe for your dog, since she has medical issues.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

If you just have fleas Advantage is the hands down choice over Frontline and I can't stress that enough. In my neighborhood ticks are thankfully very rare. Go ten miles north to the newer suburbs and that is a different story.

I know many have used Advantix with good results but I was so installed by the old school that the ingredient in it was not great for greys. I am so upset over a current issue maybe someone could post pyre... vs. pere....About 15 years ago I had a foster that was fine on Frontline but his head blew up like a balloon in Frontline Plus. Not sure they even make the old Frontline anymore.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

had front line plus in house so I put it on her. no ill effects so far. I think I have used it in the past once but never had fleas so stopped. wish I had used it before I went into my cousin's house. wish she would have told me.

I use Flea Treats (natural product), but use Advantage at the beginning of summer to get a head start. My vet told me this week, though, that in our area Frontline is working better that Advantage. Go figure.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

i was going to suggest pretreating her w/ the original dawn dish detergent. lather it and let it sit(10 min) and watch the fleas die! rinse super well, when she's dry then the frontline plus. try a flea comb in bright daylight instead and check all of your furniture and rugs. all you need are flea eggs that will hatch and you will be pulling your hair out. dare i say bomb the house? been there w/ my hypersensitive salukis. as long as it's aired out there shouldn't be a problem. do talk to your vet since your pup is challenged.

came home and still fleas - another bath - now I don't know if frontline is washed off. guess I call the vet tomorrow - called today and they said frontline should handle it but it did not could not leave the fleas on her she was getting bit. what a nightmare. any other suggestions

Get Capstar. You'll want to ask your vet first, but many veterinary hospitals use it on their patients, and rescue groups often use it before dogs are sent home with new owners. It's a pill that will kill fleas (or make them jump off) within the first hour. Your vet may carry it. Also, check PetSmart for it. (Know your girl's weight to get the right product.)

Don't use a flea shampoo now that your girl has been Frontlined. You don't want to put anything else with pesticides on her for a couple of weeks. I wouldn't take her to a groomer at this point. After the Capstar, you'll be able to comb dead fleas out of her coat.

Suggestion, give her the Capstar and take her for a walk so fleas aren't getting off her in your home. (Our rescue group gives it and walks the dogs for 30 to 45 minutes before loading them in the car for transport to the kennel.) And you probably need to treat your home since she probably brought fleas home with her.

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Comfortis is better than Capstar. Comfortis lasts a whole month. Get it from your vet.

Give dog Comfortis, wash dog's bedding, vacuum, and then relax for a couple days. If you're still seeing live fleas, you might need an area spray such as Knockout -- your vet may carry that as well.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Bean_Scotch

You can't bathe 3 days before or 3 days after application of frontline or it won't work. It uses the sebaceous glands to get it all over the animal, and bathing strips the dog of their natural oils and thus hinders the effectiveness of frontline.

You can't bathe 3 days before or 3 days after application of frontline or it won't work. It uses the sebaceous glands to get it all over the animal, and bathing strips the dog of their natural oils and thus hinders the effectiveness of frontline.

i called the manufacturer- and asked that question. they said as long as the dog is dry it can be applied. and then the dog can go swimming once it's dry or appears dry. it's an oil that gently covers the skin.

will call vet tomorrow called e vet they know nothing about fleas - or so they said. naturally when I got home and saw she had them still vet was closed. why don't vets take call after hours any more. that stinks.

Guest FordRacingRon

IMHO Advantage or Frontline Plus both work. We switched a few years back to Advantage when Frontline appeared to not do the job. But Leia didn't like advantage and would go outside and try to rub it off. Frontline doesn't bother her at all,,,but does bother the fleas a whole lot.

asked vet for capstar today she said no - its not a fix - I know that I already put front line on her - she does have beginning kidney disease so don't know if that is the problem - said to keep giving baths if needed. snow hates baths - she shakes afterwards.

wasn't too thrilled with my vets response if she would have said it was because of the kidney disease I would understand. sometimes I do not like that office.

Guest FordRacingRon

asked vet for capstar today she said no - its not a fix - I know that I already put front line on her - she does have beginning kidney disease so don't know if that is the problem - said to keep giving baths if needed. snow hates baths - she shakes afterwards.

wasn't too thrilled with my vets response if she would have said it was because of the kidney disease I would understand. sometimes I do not like that office.

Capstar is only for immediate fleas. It's job is to kill fleas right away, right when you give it (In 30-60 minutes) so no,,it is not a fix. My group give dogs that come off the haulers from the track a capstar to kill what is on them,,then Frontline to take care of what may grow or hatch. Don't know about the effect of any of these on kidneys.