Help

Guest kar

Is your vet still open? Get some Comfortis (oral med). No bath required.

In terms of shampoos, Zodiac and Adams products are usually OK.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Adams spray is available at Walmart. This is from the Adams website:

http://www.adamsfleacontrol.com/smarter-pet-care/frequently-asked-questions

Adams™ Pet Spray products come in both alcohol and water-based formulas. Some contain adulticides only, while others contain both an adulticide and the Infest Stop™* ingredient, which kills the eggs and causes the female flea to lay sterile eggs. The water-based formulas are slower drying (alcohol speeds up drying process because of evaporation) but are the choice for irritated skin. The water-based formulas contain coat conditioners. The alcohol-based formulas dry quickly and the alcohol has a flushing effect on the fleas, which tends to create a faster kill. Some cats may drool upon tasting the spray on their coat. This may occur with alcohol- or water-based products. This response is generally self-limiting.

Topical treatments can take up to 24 hours to dry. Refraining from bathing your pet during this time is recommended. If you do choose to bathe your animal prior to adding topical products, wait until your pet is completely dry to apply the product.

You will also see their product called Adams Flea and Tick Spot On. Do not buy this product.

http://www.asrcreviews.org/2012/11/nad-recommends-farnam-modify-discontinue-certain-claims-for-flea-tick-control-product/

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

HOW DO I MAKE SURE THEY ARE NOT IN MY HOUSE WHAT CAN I SAFELY USE I WENT TO MY COUSINS SHE NEGLECTED TO TELL ME SHE HAD FLEAS UNTIL I WAS INSIDE FOR ONLY 3 MINUTES TODAY SNOW HAS FLEAS

Guest Scouts_mom

Wash all your dog's bedding and your bedding as well. Vacuum, vacuum, vacuum, empty vacuum bag between each session. My vet recommends sprinkling borax on your carpet and upholstered furniture. Use a broom to get it into the fibers, let it sit, then vacuum it up. Enough will be left to kill fleas.

Some people use Flea Bombs, but I don't trust them at all.

Edited by Scouts_mom

Take a deep breath.

You won't end up with a flea infested house just because a couple of fleas were on your dog.

I know they're icky, but since you (presumably) found them right away, they haven't had time to take up residence in your house. A flea has no desire to leave it's nice, warm, yummy host, your dog, and move into your carpet.

Wash your dog's stuff, vacuum like mad, and I expect all will be well!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest FordRacingRon

what is borax. will the front line kill the rest of the fleas on snow in case any were missed after her bath?

FYI for future use,,there is a pill called Capstar. This pill kills all living fleas on a dog within 30 minutes. It is not protection, it will not kill larvae. The group I am with will give a new retiree one of those to kill what is immediately there,,then dose them with Frontline to take care of future fleas. Since , until this year, I had no other pets I would wait until I saw a flea on Leia, then give her a Capstar and does her with Frontline. Now that I own a kitty (and bunny) that like to hang around outside, it is a 12 month a year deal (plus we don't have winter anymore in Southern California,,or water for that matter) so no more Capstar.

asked my vet for capstar today she said no. I know my grey does have kidney disease, but was given the explanation you would have to give it every day. I was thinking more along the lines of what you said. don't understand her reasoning. so it was another batch today which she hates - already put front line on her.

Guest Scouts_mom

Borax is a mineral that is most commonly used as a laundry additive. Your grandmother probably knew it well and you can still find it in the laundry aisle of grocery stores. It is found in dry lake beds and once was mined in south-eastern Oregon and California. It was famous for the 20-mule teams that hauled it out of the deserts. In fact the major company was called "20-Mule Team Borax". When I was a kid (showing my age here) the company sponsored Westerns on TV. It is also used in a lot of industrial procedures, cleaning products and once was a food additive (until the FDA banned it). I would not recommend eating it, breathing the dust, or having prolonged skin contact, but the very small amount left after you spread it (wear gloves), sweep it into the carpet, then vacuum it up does not cause problems unless you are an insect. My vet treats her house 2x a year and she has whippets. She is as careful with her dogs as we are with ours so I trust her. It is definitely safer than bombing your house to get rid of fleas.

No, baking soda won't work.

1. Get Comfortis for the dog. If your vet won't prescribe it, find a new vet.

2. If you are still seeing live fleas, get a good area spray or bomb for the house. Knockout is what we usually use. You may need to repeat in a couple weeks but usually not, unless you've had a major infestation for some time (weeks or more).

Do those two things and you will no longer have fleas. It's that simple. Annoying and costly, but simple.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.