Bloody Diarrhea... Help?

Guest karilynn

Guest karilynn

Hi all,

My 4 year old greyhound, Bullet, had some diarrhea about 30 minutes ago with blood in it. I'm alarmed because I've never had this issue before. It wasn't a lot of blood, but it was pretty decent amount swirled in. I should also mention that the blood was bright red, so it was not old blood. He eats Nutro grain free fish and potato formula, which has always given him firm bowels (something that took us a long time to get right) and unfortunately, Nutro is discontinuing the food. I bought a clearance bag at Petsmart a few days ago and both my boyfriend and I noticed that it smelled fishier than usual. I'm wondering if maybe the food is bad?

He also got a new toy a few days ago that replicates a stick and it is possible that he swallowed a piece of it because it was falling apart (don't worry, we took it away the second we noticed that) As for his behavior, he's acting totally fine. Drinking water, playful when he feels like it, lazy and lounging the rest of the time. He doesn't appear lethargic or like he's in pain. He was pacing before the diarrhea, but I am guessing that is because he urgently needed to go outside and do his business.

Should I return the food and try a new brand without mixing the two together? We were going to research a new food for him and then mix it with what was left of this food, but now I'm not sure I want to keep giving him this food and there isn't anymore of it left at Petsmart. Of course, if he requires immediate medical attention, I will bring him to the vet, but I'm not sure what this is yet and he is not exhibiting any other signs of being sick?

Any advice?

Thanks!

Edited by karilynn

Have you called your vet? I'd start there. If your vet doesn't think Bullet needs to be seen, s/he will probably recommend a bland diet until his system calms down--boiled rice and chicken works.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest karilynn

Have you called your vet? I'd start there. If your vet doesn't think Bullet needs to be seen, s/he will probably recommend a bland diet until his system calms down--boiled rice and chicken works.

I gave him a call just a minute ago. He said to keep an eye on him and see if he becomes lethargic, starts vomiting, if the diarrhea becomes more like water, and if the blood persists, then to bring him in. He also recommended a bland diet of rice and boiled chicken. Thank you! I guess we will see what happens...

I had the same thing happen to Teague once. My guess is he ate something that really irritated his system as otherwise he acted perfectly normal. It went away after a day or two on a bland diet. I hope your case is similar!