New In Porterville Ca

Guest saffy2yrs

Guest saffy2yrs

I have been lurking for a few months now...........or 6, and have finally ended up in my new location due to job changes. I know I need to settle in for a few months, but I want to see if I can get in with an adoption group now so I can go to meet & greets and help where I can. I have never had a sighthound before, and it has been 14 years since my only other dog went to the bridge. Do you know of any adoption groups in the central valley of CA?

Thanks for reading/answering.

And thanks for all of the information you share here, it is a wonderful resource just to learn before you get a greyhound!

Tricia

Welcome to GreyTalk! :)

Yes, there are Greyhound adoption groups in central CA. Please take a look at this map link with group contact information:

http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/directory/list.cfm?usState=ca

I agree that Greyhound forum support is highly valuable for all of us. Quite different from years past when dog "parents" flew solo.

We'll look forward to reading about your new Greyhound experiences, and possibly a new hound in your future! :)

Welcome to GT! Are you in Porterville now? Your profile says you are in Santa Ana which is why I'm asking (I'm in Fullerton). Our group, Greyhound Adoption Center, has volunteers in the Fresno area (one of the board members lives near there and does frequent adoption transports from So Cal up to his area). His name is Jim Howell and I'm sure he would be happy to welcome you to his meet & greets. If you want to email our group at info@houndsavers.org and let them know you are interested in going to Jim's meet & greets, someone will get in contact with you. You can also check out GAC's website here: http://www.houndsavers.org/

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Guest saffy2yrs

Thanks for the links, and the reminder to change my profile. I have only been here about 3 weeks, so I have not had a chance to change all of my internet address settings yet. :)

No problem. :) GAC's Facebook page is pretty busy if you want to check that out....lots of photos of incoming dogs, adopted dogs, Open Houses, etc.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

It sounds like you already know not to freak out at all the posts about health and behavior problems, since many people tend to post only when there's a problem. We look forward to learning about your new pup, when you're ready.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

• 3 weeks later...
Guest saffy2yrs

If I should start a new thread, please let me know.

I was wondering how Greys do with inconsistant schedules. I currently work 8-430pm on Sun and Thurs, and 1200-800pm on Mon-tues-wed. I work close enough that I come home after 4-5 hrs for break, but there will be occasional days where I will not be able to, and I was wondering how long a grey can hold its bladder without harm.

Guest greyhound_in_LA

Welcome to the forum.

A greyhound is used to being 'turned out' for potty breaks, so as long as you can give a break, it's fine. I know mine has gone 6 hours straight once without telling me he needed to go out, but I take him out every 4-5 hours, but he's 5 and big, and he's not a big water gulper during the day. At night he goes even longer until morning turnout at 6:30am.

Welcome from Maryland!

My grandmother & 2 uncles lived in Tulare when I was growing up - and we visited Porterville a number of times while I was out there in the summer (and Visalia - to go to Mooney's Grove!) - they had friends there!!

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

• 1 month later...
Guest saffy2yrs

Yet another question, hopefully people will read this old post. :)

How quickly do people get a response from an on-line application? I put in an application on-line around August 15th, and followed up with an e-mail the week after. If I have not heard anything by now, do I just go on and apply with another group?

Guest Johberry

For me personally, I didn't have to wait as long as you have for a response. I wouldn't assume you weren't approved by the group you applied to. They are probably busy as most are volunteers with full-time jobs.

Have you gone to a Meet & Greet? If not, I recommend going to their next one to meet some dogs and the people. Ask questions and strike up conversations, especially mentioning you have already applied and ask about their adoption process. Each adoption group has their own protocol. If you don't get good/friendly vibes, maybe then look at other groups?I'm a first-time adopter so I don't have the experience most do on this forum so hopefully others will chime in and offer more helpful advice. Best wishes and sending good vibes your way on your journey to finding your dog! :)

Yet another question, hopefully people will read this old post. :)

How quickly do people get a response from an on-line application? I put in an application on-line around August 15th, and followed up with an e-mail the week after. If I have not heard anything by now, do I just go on and apply with another group?

I'd suggest calling the group by phone. Three weeks is a long time to not hear anything back from an active group. It's possible their electronic system is malfunctioning. If you can't get any response by phone, then I'd suggest sending another email to let them know you're moving on to work with a different adoption group. (Many groups respond to applications within a few days to a week.) Good luck!