Jump to content

Onion Powder


Recommended Posts

So I fed each of my dogs a bit of Wellness Meats Liverwurst about 30 min ago. It was a 1/2 lb of the roll, split between the 3 dogs so no one got more than a few ounces, but I realized that onion powder is an ingredient in the liverwurst. I am assuming it must be in very small quantities especially how little I gave them, but I need you GTers to make me feel better (or if I'm wrong, tell me so I can induce vomiting in 3 dogs, won't that be fun!).

 

Here's the item description:

 

Liverwurst is a mixture of grass-fed beef trim (30%), liver (30%), heart (20%) and kidney (20%). This is the tastiest way to incorporate healthy grass-fed beef organs into your diet! All of our beef products are 100% grass-fed and grass-finished.

Ingredients: beef, beef liver, beef kidneys, beef heart, water, sea salt, onion powder, white pepper, coriander, marjoram, allspice

 

Obviously no way to no for sure how much onion powder is included in the roll. What say you? Would you worry?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ASPCA site:

 

Onions and Garlic

All close members of the onion family (shallots, onions, garlic, scallions, etc.) contain compounds that can damage dogs’ red blood cells if ingested in sufficient quantities. A rule of thumb is “the stronger it is, the more toxic it is.” Garlic tends to be more toxic than onions, on an ounce-for-ounce basis. While it’s uncommon for dogs to eat enough raw onions and garlic to cause serious problems, exposure to concentrated forms of onion or garlic, such as dehydrated onions, onion soup mix or garlic powder, may put dogs at risk of toxicosis. The damage to the red blood cells caused by onions and garlic generally doesn’t become apparent until three to five days after a dog eats these vegetables. Affected dogs may seem weak or reluctant to move, or they may appear to tire easily after mild exercise. Their urine may be orange-tinged to dark red in color. These dogs should be examined by a veterinarian immediately. In severe cases, blood transfusions may be needed.

 

 

VPI site:

 

Are All Onions Dangerous To Pets?

All onions — whether cooked or raw — are a danger to your pet. It takes a very small amount of onions to poison your cat or dog.

Consumption of as little as 5 g/kg of onions in cats or 15 to 30 g/kg in dogs has resulted in clinically important hematologic changes. Onion toxicosis is consistently noted in animals that ingest more than 0.5% of their body weight in onions at one time.*

About 600 to 800 grams of onions can cause acute toxicity. Your pet can also become poisoned by eating extremely small amounts of onions over a period of time.

Edited by 3greytjoys
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks. I read all of that when I did my google search. ;)

 

I'm not going to worry. I didn't realize that onion is a standard ingredient in liverwurst you can get in the store, but apparently it is. The girl at the emergency hospital said they recommend it to entice dogs to eat and not to worry. I literally gave them each a few bites and when comparing to the quantities mentioned above that are toxic we can't even be close.

 

I'm glad I realized this though - I consider liverwurst a great training treat option when working on something particularly important like recalls and the trainer I work with often mentions it so I'm glad I now know to tell people not to get carried away.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Neylasmom I just went to the site and see it isn't the Wellness pet food. Anyhow, i'm with you that it is safe but not to get carried away in the amount you feed. Garlic on the other hand in small quantities is touted to keep fleas away.

I work with a woman from Switzerland who said they used to feed chocolate to their dogs with no ill effect *rolling eyes* I think I will not

follow her tradition.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really don't think that Wellness petfood is foolish enough to put a toxic dose of anything in their food on purpose.

Helpful, as always. :rolleyes:

 

Thanks Pam and CharlieRhea, that's what I'm thinking. Dogs aren't sick yet at least, although I read it can take a few days for the anemia to set in. :P I really think there's no way it was enough to be harmful. I even looked at liverwurst recipes to get an idea of how much onion powder they would have used. :P

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My dogs get things with small amounts of onion/onion powder pretty regularly. Burgers, stir fry, potato hash, hot dogs, steak, etc. small amounts are generally not a problem. I've even seem it added into dog treats.

 

Similarly to above - mine sometimes lick raw onion off of our plates as scrap.....they are still living and breathing just fine.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rainey ate 5 entire heads of garlic (super dehydrated, was a garlic braid on the wall that she snagged and ate :rolleyes:) -- same thing, we just watched her for bloody pee for 5 days. Luckily she was fine.

 

we use regular Scott Peterson liver sausage to get Zeke to go into his crate (long story, he's becoming increasingly resistant to go in :() -- I'll have to check the ingredients on that, but he gets 4 small pieces (maybe 3/4 oz ?) and hasn't had any issues, fortunately.

 

ETA: no garlic or onion in SP's liver sausage :)

Edited by RaineysMom

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...