Dog Got Into Coffee?

Guest OhCatastrophe

Guest OhCatastrophe

So mom left a cup of coffee on the table and Cleo got into a bit of it, I'm not sure how much.. what should I do?

I don't think it was too much....

Edited by OhCatastrophe

In my house, we would do nothing and not worry about it.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest OhCatastrophe

In my house, we would do nothing and not worry about it.

I looked online and it seems some pretty terrible things can happen.. :/

If not too much (like the entire mug), just keep an eye. He'll probably be a bit restless and disturbed. "Within 1-2 hours of exposure: mild to severe hyperactivity, restlessness, vomiting, tachycardia (elevated heart rate), hypertension (elevated blood pressure), abnormal heart rhythms, tremors, hyperthermia (elevated body temperature) seizures, and collapse."

Any of the more serious symptoms there? Be very concerned. But seriously, if it wasn't the whole mug, just watch and wait. Or induce vomiting if you really want.

Guest OhCatastrophe

If not too much (like the entire mug), just keep an eye. He'll probably be a bit restless and disturbed. "Within 1-2 hours of exposure: mild to severe hyperactivity, restlessness, vomiting, tachycardia (elevated heart rate), hypertension (elevated blood pressure), abnormal heart rhythms, tremors, hyperthermia (elevated body temperature) seizures, and collapse."

Any of the more serious symptoms there? Be very concerned. But seriously, if it wasn't the whole mug, just watch and wait. Or induce vomiting if you really want.

so far none of those have happened but its only been 5 min. I think she only drank 1/4 of the mug at most...

She's likely to be OK. As GreyTzu noted, some people have no problems at all. Some even share their morning coffee with their greys regularly (not something I'd do, but that's more about my attachment to my coffee than anything else). Brandi has got into my coffee, tea, and a tiny bit of chocolate left out by DH ( :riphair:censored:POed ). Aside from some slight overactivity, she's been fine. It isn't something I encourage.

Guest DeniseL

It's happened at our house on more than one occasion. Miami, in particular, is a sneak attack. Never noticed any ill effects. I've gotten to the point where I just try my best, but if he slurps part of it down, I just pick it up and keep on drinking.

It's happened at our house on more than one occasion. Miami, in particular, is a sneak attack. Never noticed any ill effects. I've gotten to the point where I just try my best, but if he slurps part of it down, I just pick it up and keep on drinking.

And that's how you know that you're a dog person.....

I had one with a fondness for Mountain Dew (loaded with caffeine). I had to start using covered cups (like sports bottles). He's gone now (old age), but I still use the covered cups.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

yep, I don't think there is anyting much to worry about. Our angel Dougie, who had a heart murmur, made it his mission to drink at least half of a cup of my coffee whenever we went out on a lost dog search. Dumb human, I never learned to put the cup anywhere but the center console in my car. He was a cheeky monkey to say the least, miss him so very very much.

Edited by DofSweetPotatos

Greyhounds love coffee. Don't know why, but many of them do.

No need to worry about drinking a little bit. Of course, she may want a refill later. :coffee

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I really can't imagine that small of an amt will be an issue in an otherwise healthy dog, but if you want to be completely safe, induce vomiting and call poison control once you have. You'll pay a fee for the latter, but if you're that worried $65 will be worth peace of mind.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Unless it was *very* strongly brewed, like Turkish coffee or really strong Starbucks espresso, she should be fine. Might be a bit buzzed if she's sensitive to the caffeine.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

My dog just drank pretty much two cups of coffee in the past two days. If anything, he just stares at me, burps and then lays down. He has thrown it up once a few months ago, but nothing horrible. You'd think I would learn, but he's getting sneakier!

One of the reasons I just knew George was the dog for me is that he drank out of my coffee cup when I went to meet him at his foster home!

It wouldn't even occur to me to worry if my dog drank a bit of my coffee! Now, if he ate a pound of coffee beans....

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Win got into a guest in our homes luggage and got a canister of illy coffee (the ground beans) -- I worried myself sick but the only result was poo that smelled much better and was quite granular looking for several days - I miss that guy and his menace!!!!!

Greyhounds love coffee. Don't know why, but many of them do.

Sammi never touched my coffee in the 8+ years we've been together. Or wine, tea, water, etc...

A few weeks ago, I was starting to lose track of how much coffee I was drinking :huh Like I could have sworn that I had a practically full cup, but then suddenly I would see it almost gone! So I'd sip what was left in the cup and get some more. I must be losing it, right? Not remembering how much coffee I was drinking. Usually I wouldn't notice the practically empty mug until I sat back down from doing something.

Then, last week, I got up to go to the bathroom and when I came back, I reached for my cup and saw it was empty! Now I know darn well, since I pass the kitchen to go to the bathroom, that I JUST looked in that darn cup before getting up to go to the bathroom :blink: So I got more. I realized that I left my phone in the kitchen. Sat the cup down and went to grab it. Come back around the corner and....

RIVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<_< Brat is a coffee addict! Currently, after my discovery of the caffeine thief, I've been using a ceramic travel mug with a silicone sippy lid in the mornings. And if I am not at my computer, it is moved to where I am, or the kitchen until I sit back down again.

Thinking of how many times I drank my coffee, that mysteriously evaporated... I hope that she didn't backwash too much :rolleyes:

Edited by Gryffenne

Was there artificial sweetner in it? Some of those can be dangerous.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest chickenpotpie

Lucky indeedy loves coffee. And wine. And beer. And pina coladas. :hehe :hehe I don't worry about it too much and we've learned to not put our cups at nose level.

Make yourself another cup.

:lol

They help themselves to my coffee all the time. Nothing to worry about.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest Dancer

S

<_< Brat is a coffee addict! Currently, after my discovery of the caffeine thief, I've been using a ceramic travel mug with a silicone sippy lid in the mornings. And if I am not at my computer, it is moved to where I am, or the kitchen until I sit back down again.

Thinking of how many times I drank my coffee, that mysteriously evaporated... I hope that she didn't backwash too much :rolleyes:

:rofl I have visions of a hidden camera...River noticing the coffee cup and intently watching your movements (but not obviously) ... then you get up and leave the room...BAM! River strikes again

Guest Celestrina

:rofl I have visions of a hidden camera...River noticing the coffee cup and intently watching your movements (but not obviously) ... then you get up and leave the room...BAM! River strikes again

You really should set up a hidden camera to catch her antics. Maybe she needs the caffeine to keep up with the Ghost Brindle.