Hydrocortisone On Spay Incision?

Guest AbbyH

Guest AbbyH

Our new girl is 6 days post spay surgery. The incision looks great. No bleeding, no puffiness, no discharge. Mildly pink though and itching the poor girl 'til she is frantic to get to it.

I have been muzzling her so she is doing no damage. I want to give her some relief. I have hydrocortisone 1% spray that the vet gave us for our first greyhound (it was for a rash on her chest). I would like to apply a light spray for the anti-itch properties. Typical instructions are to put nothing wet on the incision.

I know that I shouldn't get it very wet but is a light spray of hydrocortisone really a problem?

Thanks

Edited by AbbyH

Guest AbbyH

Good idea. I'm just nervous about giving her anything when the vet is closed. We've only had her since Friday and I'm don't know how well she will tolerate it. I might try that in the morning.

Guest AbbyH

Thanks for all of the good information. I will pass on the hydrocortisone. Hydrotherapy would probably feel good to her but I've been strictly ordered to not apply anything wet.

I guess we will have to make her endure the itching. It's tough to do that to her but it is best for her.

Thanks

Will she tolerate an ice pack wrapped in a towel? It will only be temporary, but cold (as cold as it can be without being dangerous/damaging will alleviate the itching.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I've never had a spay even notice that she had stitches! If she's actually frantic to get at it - I'd definitely give her a Benadrly - It'll calm her and make her sleepy - then get to the vet tomorrow. It's odd that she's so uncomfortable. How long has she been fussing at it?

In the meantime - a Benadryl will not hurt a healthy dog.

Guest AbbyH

Sorry for the delay in updating. We took Piper to the vet four days ago in hopes of having the stitches removed. In the 18 hours between making the appointment and arriving the areas around the remaining stitches became so swollen and inflamed that the stitches could not be removed.. We were given meds (ointment) to reduce the swelling and inflammation. It worked very well and today the stitches were removed. Interestingly the area where she had removed one of the stitches herself was healed up very well. Where the stitches remained she still had a lot of healing to go. The vet said that the stitches were too tight (he did not do the surgery).

Piper is doing better but it has been a frustrating and tough time for her and us. She's been muzzled a lot and we've been sleeping on the floor with her. More accurately, trying to sleep. We are all a little cranky but improving.