Corns

My two hounds have corns. One has 3 corns and other has 1. My vet is hulling every 10 days now and my male is not getting any relief between hulls. He will not walk without his Thera Paws on and then it is a struggle. Does anyone have any suggestions besides having him put down? Thanks so much.

What? You want to put a dog down as they have corns? Please tell me you meant to put them under for surgery and not "down"

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

Maddiesmom, I do not think there is any surgery for corns. I have watched him get worse and worse and hurt more and more. He can hardly walk. I will not keep a dog here on this earth for a selfish reason. Pain was not in the game plan when I adopted him.

I don't have any personal history with corns on my Annie (thankfully) but I do know that I've read many potential remedies on GT and not one of them was euthanasia. That sounds extreme. Here's a link to a Goggle search I did. It has lots of reading but research is what it's all about when looking for a solution to a problem. Good luck.

https://www.google.com/#newwindow=1&q=remedies+for+corns+on+dogs

There is surgery for corns. DO NOT DO IT. the recovery is terribly painful and they come right back. Rex got some relief with duct tape - he had them on all 4 paws and hated Therapaws (Illiaria is a very nice lady). You have to get the name brand stuff like Nashua or Duct and trim it just slightly larger than the corn. Remove and replace every 3-4 days or so.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest klipper

We are firm believers in duct tape around these parts too. Provides immediate relief, and lasting results if you are consistent with it.

Duct brand, we use zebra print :)

I think you have successfully shocked me more than almost any other post on GT. A corn is minimal in the pain department and very manageable. To even suggest putting a dog to sleep over a corn makes me angry. Give your dog back to your group!

Pains meds and booties do work. Take time and read about treatments by searching! There are pages available with ideas on this forum.

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

The OP has been to he$$ and back with more than one of her hounds. She does not give up easily, and I think what we are seeing here is frustration and an extremely discouraged person who feels she is running out of options.

That said, I agree there are a lot of options to try, and hope the OP will visit the website and FB page suggested (a link or the exact name of the page might help her).

I have to believe you are not serious about putting him down. Corns are no way a reason for that, IMO. Try the duct tape procedure. There is lots of info on line, here, Google search. I don't have greys with corns, but I have read where the silver/gray duct tape is best and is cut to the size of the corn, not the entire pad. Booties help with the walking. I have also heard surgery is not necessarily successful. I would go the duct tape route.

Search on Facebook for "Greyhounds With Corns." It might be worth it to join FB just for this group. There are tone of people all around the world who are dealing with the same problem.

Many of the people now are using something called "nipple cream" which I gather is a very thick emoillient, then covering the corn with a small piece of duct tape. It takes a while, but the corn does eventually work itself out without any surgery or hulling. Others are using Abreva, which is an OTC liquid for relief of cold sores with good results.

If you go the duct tape only route, get the very stickiest stuff you can find - Gorilla tape or other super tacky brands.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Maddiesmom, I do not think there is any surgery for corns. I have watched him get worse and worse and hurt more and more. He can hardly walk. I will not keep a dog here on this earth for a selfish reason. Pain was not in the game plan when I adopted him.

Maddie is acorn dog as well, she is 12 and has had corns since she was 6. There are remedies and solution as others have suggested. The corn dog group on Facebook is a great resource.

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

Hey folks, thank you all for writing. I have been on the "corn group" forever. These corns are not little, bitty things. They have about crippled my large male, DaVid. I have tried everything on the market to help both of the hounds. Lady's are very small and she is not hurting as much as he is. I think anyone that knows me on this forum, knows that I never give up!! But, I am not the one that is barely able to move off his bed. And, not to argue with anyone, but these corns hurt like hell with no relief in sight.

Please just sign me off of this forum and off of Greytalk forever. People that judge are so sad. Nan Wallace

Guest MnMDogs

Mork lived with corns his whole life. We managed with dremeling and therapaws when we walked. We also put rug runners all along the house so he had a softer place to walk, and they lead to and from every room.

To see him walk would probably have broken your heart, but he never let the corns stop him and we had a long wonderful life together, and he was one of the happiest dogs you'd ever meet. Try dremeling and keeping the pads soft. There really is not reason to consider euthanizing an otherwise healthy hound due to corns.

A friend of mine has a GH with corns. She has had luck with laser treatments.

She tried one of the creams, but the dog was not cooperating.

Willow( Hi Tech Popandgo ) CGC #31965 Calico Salad x MayPop 8-9-93/9-24-07 Austin( Nodak Austin ) #55202 Chrisse's Twelve x Lotsa Liz 2-25-96/2-15-05 Matt( Kelsos Metaphor ) #90695 Oswald Cobblepot x Kelso's Movita 8-10-00/2-28-14 Buddy (Aljo Class Act) #78137 Action By Design x Miss Classy 12-8-98/8-29-09 Sonny (Onaim Excalibur)#97927 Flying Train x Rough Diamond 9-7-01/1-9-2016Hunter (SS Snow Roll) #35135 Craigie Whistler x Lightning Snow 10-4-2005/9-23-17 Leo (Yolo Empleo)#72060 4-13-18 Fiesta Paraguas x Mega Bien Hecho

I have found that dremeling the corn to keep it flush with the pad helps. I also keep the boot on his foot all day, only removing it at night. That keep the foot soft and the corn would rise up and could be hulled much easier. While I haven't tried it for corns, a cold laser treatment might provide some relief while you try other alternatives. With that much pain, though, I would also see if he has tweaked his neck or back since his gait will change due to the corns affecting his walk.

I understand you are frustrated with the responses, but I hope some of the suggestions can help. I am on my third "corn dog" and I know how hard it is.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

When our corn dog was under anaesthesia for something else, the vet hulled (a la Grassmere) her corn and then "just kissed" the hulled surface with the surgical laser. Not the cold laser, the surgical laser.

No corn for 9 months. She then got a couple tiny corns, which we hulled once and which never reappeared.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

There is a surgery to have warts and corns removed. My Mariah had it done when she was in rescue. I would not do it again. The healing time before she could walk again was a long long time

Hey folks, thank you all for writing. I have been on the "corn group" forever. These corns are not little, bitty things. They have about crippled my large male, DaVid. I have tried everything on the market to help both of the hounds. Lady's are very small and she is not hurting as much as he is. I think anyone that knows me on this forum, knows that I never give up!! But, I am not the one that is barely able to move off his bed. And, not to argue with anyone, but these corns hurt like hell with no relief in sight.

Please just sign me off of this forum and off of Greytalk forever. People that judge are so sad. Nan Wallace

Sorry you are signing off of the forum and GT forever. Yes there are people that will judge but you just have to ignore them.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

My Conor has horrendous corns & he was in terrible pain from them. Some dogs have corns that are fairly easily responsive to treatment: duct tape, creams, ointments, dietary supplements, hulling, wearing boots. For some dogs, those treatments don't work AT ALL & the corns grow deeper & deeper into the pad up to the flexor tendon. I know how crippling corns are for those dogs, I know how life-changing it is for them, I know how sad it is to see a dog limp like that. I HAD NO CHOICE but to do surgery on Conor's corns - no choice. The recovery takes time (weeks), especially the deeper the corns have grown. And some of the corns do grow back. But the surgery took away the pain, let him dance again, let him go on walks & be chased by his sister in the yard. I would do it again in a heartbeat. And if the choice was surgery (with a vet who knows what they're doing) & euthanasia? I'd do the surgery.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

I was reading up on corns last night. A new procedure involves implanting a circular pad to alleviate pressure directly on the corn. So far results are mixed. :(

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png